Match Preview/Thread - Ross County vs Morton (22nd July) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ross County vs Morton (22nd July)

Admin

6 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

If I understand you correctly, you believe we should stop streaming for oversees fans because some healthy people within easy travelling distance to Cappielow will use a proxy to bypass it, thus depriving the club of gate money. If there actually is anyone who fits that description, I'd suggest they're few in number and not fans who would attend regularly anyway. The live stream us great for fans like me who can't attend, but it's not even close to actually being there. 

I actually fully agree with your general point that football is a spectator sport and without fans in the terracing lending to the atmosphere, its greatly diminished as a spectacle. But for a lot of fans, either through distance or health, attending is not an option. So live streaming is the next best thing. The fact that a relatively small number of people who are healthy and live close enough to Cappielow to attend may abuse that, should not prevent those who use it legitimately from enjoying watching the Ton once again. 

You assert that they are few in number because it suits your understandable interest to believe that though. Of course live streaming isn't the same as being in the ground, but it doesn't need to be to act as a viable alternative because it is also much, much cheaper (indeed a fraction of the setup costs for the dodgy option). I know for a fact that last season there were people within 10 minutes walking distance of Cappielow who were able to watch what was going on during the game from the comfort of their own home. I also know that 'any streams?' is a pretty common request when we're away from home, especially for midweek games. We can't have our cake and eat it here. What takes away from other clubs is also impacting our own.

There are no other parts of the live event sector that would allow live streaming of events to occur for that reason in 2023. Cinemas are not showing Oppenheimer (or Barbie) this weekend while also saying "oh btw, give us a fiver if you can't make it here and you can stream it to the comfort of your home' - because that would be business suicide. And they don't even spend any money producing the content that they show in the first place. 

Why should Scottish football be any different? You may not have noticed yet another two bob broadcaster of Scottish football pulling out with their funds just this week but that is the reality that professional football faces in this country on an ongoing  basis. When other revenue streams cannot be guaranteed, it would be foolish (IMO) to maintain cheap to effectively zero cost back door access to the primary selling point for the business. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering you can stream basically every championship game for free on IPTV I'd say the fans not attending games argument has already jumped the shark. The vast majority of people who would actually go to games will still go to games anyway for the live experience, however there are fans out there who would still rather give the money to their clubfor the pleasure to watch if it's an option available to them. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

12 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Considering you can stream basically every championship game for free on IPTV I'd say the fans not attending games argument has already jumped the shark. The vast majority of people who would actually go to games will still go to games anyway for the live experience, however there are fans out there who would still rather give the money to their club for the pleasure to watch if it's an option available to them. 

1) What policy enables every Championship game to be streamed live for free on IPTV?

2) Given the unprecedented increase in the cost of living in the past year, I'd say that your conclusion is premature and not a risk that any business should be willing to take with its principal source of income. There is a limit to the willingness and the ability to pay for a live experience - the business reality is that a football club needs to gatekeep access to alternatives and to make it as reasonable as possible for people to attend in person. That is how other live events are operating right now.

3) Your conclusion is clearly not shared by RCFC anyway. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I have a season ticket for Cappielow & if I could I’d be there every game, but that’s just not possible. Last season, season tickets allowed everyone to watch games the next day, with people accessing the stream from “outside”the UK & Ireland able to view it live. I hope that will continue to be the case this season. I have no wish to watch home games for free, but having paid for a season ticket, I have already paid for entry even if I can’t actually get to the ground in person for every game.  Seems a reasonable compromise to me, but for people who can’t ever get to games through infirmity or distance, why not use technology to allow them to stay involved? Or are they to be restricted to whatever teams Sky or whoever choose to cover? We need to move with the times.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Considering you can stream basically every championship game for free on IPTV I'd say the fans not attending games argument has already jumped the shark. The vast majority of people who would actually go to games will still go to games anyway for the live experience, however there are fans out there who would still rather give the money to their clubfor the pleasure to watch if it's an option available to them. 

Something like IPTV is relatively niche, though. There's a difference between some sort of option available for fans who go looking for it, and an option actively promoted by football clubs. 

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

You assert that they are few in number because it suits your understandable interest to believe that though. Of course live streaming isn't the same as being in the ground, but it doesn't need to be to act as a viable alternative because it is also much, much cheaper (indeed a fraction of the setup costs for the dodgy option). I know for a fact that last season there were people within 10 minutes walking distance of Cappielow who were able to watch what was going on during the game from the comfort of their own home. I also know that 'any streams?' is a pretty common request when we're away from home, especially for midweek games. We can't have our cake and eat it here. What takes away from other clubs is also impacting our own.

There are no other parts of the live event sector that would allow live streaming of events to occur for that reason in 2023. Cinemas are not showing Oppenheimer (or Barbie) this weekend while also saying "oh btw, give us a fiver if you can't make it here and you can stream it to the comfort of your home' - because that would be business suicide. And they don't even spend any money producing the content that they show in the first place. 

Why should Scottish football be any different? You may not have noticed yet another two bob broadcaster of Scottish football pulling out with their funds just this week but that is the reality that professional football faces in this country on an ongoing  basis. When other revenue streams cannot be guaranteed, it would be foolish (IMO) to maintain cheap to effectively zero cost back door access to the primary selling point for the business. 

^^^ BOLLOCKS

image.png

28 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Something like IPTV is relatively niche, though. There's a difference between some sort of option available for fans who go looking for it, and an option actively promoted by football clubs. 

Is it though? Not that I would want to cast aspersions, but I’d suggest that the folk that are most likely to patch a game for a stream would also be pretty clued up on where to get a programme stuck onto their Firestick for £50 a year.

Not that I’ve got any criticisms of folk who would use a Firestick although in no way would I use one…

Thought if baird was out king would have slotted into the defence buy as he's on the bench I have no idea who's going to take bairds place. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Thought if baird was out king would have slotted into the defence buy as he's on the bench I have no idea who's going to take bairds place. 

Think Blues will be at right back. 

Archived