Match Preview/Thread - Ross County vs Morton (22nd July) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ross County vs Morton (22nd July)

Admin

Our match thread is sponsored by Tail o' the Bank Credit Union.

Don’t get hooked in by loan sharks! Avoid the pitfalls of "debt solutions". STOP, take a breath and consider your options.  Contact us to see how Inverclyde's Credit Union can help you Save, Borrow and Plan for Tomorrow.

Call the Credit Union on 01475 734655, email office@totbcu.co.uk or pop into the Credit Union at 24 Kilblain Street, Greenock, PA15 1SR. 

Like TOTB on Facebook

Follow TOTB on Twitter

Follow TOTB on Instagram

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Very strange decision, being so far north you'd think that away fans would be tripping over themselves to buy live streams from them.

Perhaps Ross County have made a rational choice to prefer getting as many fans as possible inside the ground instead of degrading the live product through endless (shan) streaming services. If away fans can stream then by fair means or not a many 'home' fans who live nowhere near Dingwall can do so as well. 

Either way, I really doubt that they're concerned about being 'so far north' nor the convenience of away fans - and quite rightly so. It's a stance that we'd approve of at GMFC under most circumstances. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

14 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Perhaps Ross County have made a rational choice to prefer getting as many fans as possible inside the ground instead of degrading the live product through endless (shan) streaming services. If away fans can stream then by fair means or not a many 'home' fans who live nowhere near Dingwall can do so as well. 

Either way, I really doubt that they're concerned about being 'so far north' nor the convenience of away fans - and quite rightly so. It's a stance that we'd approve of at GMFC under most circumstances. 

Can't agree with that.  Not everyone can travel to games every week; in fact many can't get to games at all whether through distance, ill health or a multitude of other reasons.  Being able to access the game via streaming should lead to a larger overall audience and additional revenue.  The fact that you personally think it might diminish the atmosphere at Cappielow slightly due to marginally lower numbers actually being there is neither here not there. It's not the 1970s any more.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

12 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

After posting I remembered that Saturday 3pm KOs can only be streamed oversees anyway. But you'd still think that there would be enough oversees fans of Premiership clubs to offer some sort of service, and still turn decent a profit. No idea how many oversees live stream subscribers we had last season, but I assume it turned a profit as I've been told it will be offered again this season. It's a basic no commentary service but more than does the job. 

Anyway, after tomorrow no fucks will be given.

4 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

After posting I remembered that Saturday 3pm KOs can only be streamed oversees anyway. But you'd still think that there would be enough oversees fans of Premiership clubs to offer some sort of service, and still turn decent a profit. No idea how many oversees live stream subscribers we had last season, but I assume it turned a profit as I've been told it will be offered again this season. It's a basic no commentary service but more than does the job. 

Anyway, after tomorrow no fucks will be given.

I’m not sure the 3pm blackout applies at this stage of the season.

However, in the event of no available stream, I’d recommend that as a consolation, you could perhaps watch a video of the last competitive game played at Victoria Park.

No need to thank me, you’re welcome.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Can't agree with that.  Not everyone can travel to games every week; in fact many can't get to games at all whether through distance, ill health or a multitude of other reasons. 

It's a live event. If a band are doing a tour of the UK, you don't get a live stream of each gig because you're too far away/ill etc. to make the event. 

And before anyone starts a braying 'value for money' complaint about comparing a Scottish football game to other pastimes: people are paying 80 real, actual pounds sterling as the cheapest price to watch the Red Hot fucking Chilli Peppers in Glasgow this weekend. 

I'd rather watch all of our thrilling encounters against Arbroath at this level on repeat. 

[Quote] Being able to access the game via streaming should lead to a larger overall audience and additional revenue.[/Quote]

Based on what evidence?

There are the costs of running the service to consider and the lost gate income of people who would go to the game otherwise but choose either the much cheaper and more convenient option of a a legitimate stream - or the easily available, free access option to consider. Neither are negligible issues for a business to consider. 

And indeed if it was an obvious money spinner overall, then GMFC wouldn't be struggling to operate a no frills service and a relatively established top flight club wouldn't be dinghying it altogether. 

[Quote] The fact that you personally think it might diminish the atmosphere at Cappielow slightly due to marginally lower numbers actually being there is neither here not there. It's not the 1970s any more. [/Quote]

Well no, I think you'll find the fact that your personal circumstances and preference for a stream is neither here nor there. Because Ross County are not providing that service to you. 

And I agree that it's not the 1970s anymore. There should be as professional highlights package available as soon as possible as soon after the event ends - although I suspect that the SPFL clinging onto theoretical rights that it can't ever flog is the main obstacle to that. 

But by the same token, it's also not 2020 anymore. Live events are a major part of the economy again and no other part of that sector is busy propping up their least shite, emergency measures from that period that directly undercut their main income streams today. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It's a live event. If a band are doing a tour of the UK, you don't get a live stream of each gig because you're too far away/ill etc. to make the event. 

And before anyone starts a braying 'value for money' complaint about comparing a Scottish football game to other pastimes: people are paying 80 real, actual pounds sterling as the cheapest price to watch the Red Hot fucking Chilli Peppers in Glasgow this weekend. 

I'd rather watch all of our thrilling encounters against Arbroath at this level on repeat. 

[Quote] Being able to access the game via streaming should lead to a larger overall audience and additional revenue.[/Quote]

Based on what evidence?

There are the costs of running the service to consider and the lost gate income of people who would go to the game otherwise but choose either the much cheaper and more convenient option of a a legitimate stream - or the easily available, free access option to consider. Neither are negligible issues for a business to consider. 

And indeed if it was an obvious money spinner overall, then GMFC wouldn't be struggling to operate a no frills service and a relatively established top flight club wouldn't be dinghying it altogether. 

[Quote] The fact that you personally think it might diminish the atmosphere at Cappielow slightly due to marginally lower numbers actually being there is neither here not there. It's not the 1970s any more. [/Quote]

Well no, I think you'll find the fact that your personal circumstances and preference for a stream is neither here nor there. Because Ross County are not providing that service to you. 

And I agree that it's not the 1970s anymore. There should be as professional highlights package available as soon as possible as soon after the event ends - although I suspect that the SPFL clinging onto theoretical rights that it can't ever flog is the main obstacle to that. 

But by the same token, it's also not 2020 anymore. Live events are a major part of the economy again and no other part of that sector is busy propping up their least shite, emergency measures from that period that directly undercut their main income streams today. 

But with the live streams for Saturday 3pm KOs being restricted to overseas fans, for league games at least, for us there is no impact on attendance, or matchday revenue streams. I think the streaming package for overseas fans last season was 150 quid or thereabouts, and the fact that it's going to continue this season suggests the club made a profit from it. So in fact it's complimentary revenue stream.

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

But with the live streams for Saturday 3pm KOs being restricted to overseas fans, for league games at least, for us there is no impact on attendance, or matchday revenue streams. I think the streaming package for overseas fans last season was 150 quid or thereabouts, and the fact that it's going to continue this season suggests the club made a profit from it. So in fact it's complimentary revenue stream.

If you seriously think that live streams have been safeguarded for non-UK viewing only, then the wallet inspector will have a very fruitful visit to your address as well. 

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If you seriously think that live streams have been safeguarded for non-UK viewing only, then the wallet inspector will have a very fruitful visit to your address as well. 

Straw man alert! I didn't say or even infer that.

It's an erstwhile untapped revenue stream which if it remains profitable will be of benefit to the club, even of it's only in a relatively small way.

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Straw man alert! I didn't say or even infer that.

You quite clearly did, by claiming that live streaming of games at 3pm is "restricted to overseas fans". That's not even remotely the case in reality. 

It's really not my fault if you don't actually understand the content of your own posts. 

"It's an erstwhile untapped revenue stream which if it remains profitable will be of benefit to the club, even of it's only in a relatively small way."

Except for the fact that obtaining said revenue undercuts existing forms of revenue and so doesn't deliver the benefit that you claim. Which is probably why RCFC will not be providing that service tomorrow despite your laughable harrumph that they should do so just because they're from 'the far north'. 

Enjoy your day tomorrow. :)

I’m on the fence a bit between CHC and vT on this one, less so with Alibi I’m afraid.

It’s maybe easier for me as Cappielow isn’t too far away from where I stay, whilst it’s a ball ache of a commute for him, but ultimately, football is a “live” event as vT says, and that should be protected where possible.

I don’t see any harm in clubs showing matches abroad, but in the UK, whilst it’s difficult to police, I’d like to see some form of means testing for those who really need the service.

It was only recently we lost a very popular member of our support who had mobility issues and was unable to attend games until long after grounds re-opened post pandemic. The streaming service was a great thing for Bryan. Closer to home for myself, one of our group- my pal’s dad, was never able to return to Cappielow after the pandemic before he passed away and one of his pleasures of the last few months of his life was sitting in the couch on a Saturday with the iPad watching Morton.

Streaming is here to stay in some shape or form at least, and to be honest, when those two cases spring to mind, I hate to think of those who have missed out in the past or are missing out now on watching Morton because they’re physically incapable of coming to a game. I’d certainly hope that if and when I’m in that position, there’ll be an alternative for me to watch Morton.

Whether profitable or not, it’s a service clubs should be looking to provide anyway- far more of a priority than match programmes in the digital world, but ideally not to the detriment of the gate.

I’m 100% with Toby on this one. Two other factors which should be considered IMO are;

a) Not every Morton supporter lives a stone’s throw from Cappielow. Attending a home game means a 650-mile return drive for me, and whilst I get up as often as possible, we all have jobs, lives, commitments etc. - so for me, the opportunity to start work at 6am and get home in time for a live-stream 3pm kickoff is gold.

b) The whole model of success for any business (including fitba clubs) is to maximise its income. Streaming for those who can’t be there on the day represents just one more source of this. I totally take VT’s point about the live event however - and he’s right. I’d incidentally add that my brother has just paid a grand to see Bruce Springsteen at the Hockenheim circuit in Germany because UK tickets sold out in minutes. There must be a hell of a lot of people who would like to see a game but who can’t get there for whatever reason - including disability as Toby rightly points out.

Would anyone here be happy if a future World Cup final featuring Scotland wasn’t shown live on TV?

Just my 2p.

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

You quite clearly did, by claiming that live streaming of games at 3pm is "restricted to overseas fans". That's not even remotely the case in reality. 

If I understand you correctly, you believe we should stop streaming for oversees fans because some healthy people within easy travelling distance to Cappielow will use a proxy to bypass it, thus depriving the club of gate money. If there actually is anyone who fits that description, I'd suggest they're few in number and not fans who would attend regularly anyway. The live stream us great for fans like me who can't attend, but it's not even close to actually being there. 

I actually fully agree with your general point that football is a spectator sport and without fans in the terracing lending to the atmosphere, its greatly diminished as a spectacle. But for a lot of fans, either through distance or health, attending is not an option. So live streaming is the next best thing. The fact that a relatively small number of people who are healthy and live close enough to Cappielow to attend may abuse that, should not prevent those who use it legitimately from enjoying watching the Ton once again. 

Archived