Squad for next Season - Page 98 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

16 hours ago, Madton said:

Doubt many of us will know what our budget is and how it compares to last season/other clubs. I'd like to think it's at least the same as last season if not slightly improved.

"Budget allows' doesn't necessarily mean limited budget, Dougie could simply be targeting players who are on a significant weekly wage and he wants them to take a reduction to fit into our budget and still be very well paid.

Think Dougie will be playing the waiting game on a few players since we are not in urgent need of bodies like other teams. 

Fair enough and good point made, I'm not familiar with the club finances or the ins and outs and obviously I don't want to see us just chuck money at it like idiot clubs like Raith and others. 

Be interesting to see who else we can attract with the budget. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Signs new 2 year deal at Hamilton.

Surprised at that. He must have had interest from championship clubs.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Quite liked Broadfoot talking about 'Open Goal'. Maybe a bit harsh on the players who are part time and enjoying a drink at the weekend but he's obviously still focused on his own standards. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I'm hoping for the rabbit out the hat..,Yes last season was dictated through circumstances in way money came in....but I actually hope Dougie and the club as whole learned from that. Which Im sure almost certainly think they did.

There is most definitely deals to be done with quality free agents at the end of the window and I personally think it would be wise to hold on to a few shillings to sweep em up like we did last year. Maybe a bit if a risk but it did pay off last season...if you don't buy a ticket..as the old saying goes... youll not be in the draw/or words to that effect 

Edited by Nornirontons

I know there's still tons of time, but it's maybe a wee bit surprising Lewis hasn't found a club yet. Could be of course he's had lots of offers and is simply holding out for a better deal, but it could also be that clubs are perhaps hesitant in making him an offer due to his long term injury. If it's the latter, do you think there may be a wee chance we could resign him? Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but stranger things have happened.

Anyone know if he's fully fit again? 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

22 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I know there's still tons of time, but it's maybe a wee bit surprising Lewis hasn't found a club yet. Could be of course he's had lots of offers and is simply holding out for a better deal, but it could also be that clubs are perhaps hesitant in making him an offer due to his long term injury. If it's the latter, do you think there may be a wee chance we could resign him? Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but stranger things have happened.

I would think it unlikely now that we’ve got Waters signed up.  Reading between the lines of the statement he made combined with the times he has been dropped I also suspect that he & the gaffer don’t see eye to eye so can’t see it happening

Strapp wouldn't come back as a backup and waters wasn't signed to warm the bench so that's highly unlikely. Strapp is training with us just now to keep fit like a few players, I would like to seem get a prem team but get a feeling he might end up playing against us this season for someone else. 

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Dougie stated that the reason for Strapp’s departure was that he didn’t fit into his plans. We’ll probably never know what was meant by that, but there’s been speculation about an off-the-field clash of personalities - which again is restricted to behind closed doors. On this basis, I think that it’s highly unlikely. I have no idea if he’s fully fit again.

Edited by SassenachTon

Imrie in the tele today saying that Doyle is just training and keeping himself fit and we aren't looking to offer him a deal. Also says he likes Deane and we are exploring possibility of a deal but his only concern about him is his height so we will see what happens. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Imrie in the tele today saying that Doyle is just training and keeping himself fit and we aren't looking to offer him a deal. Also says he likes Deane and we are exploring possibility of a deal but his only concern about him is his height so we will see what happens. 

Doubt he'll grow much before the season starts.  Always irks me when I hear people criticising a player for not being tall enough.  Two words: Leo Messi.  Also Bobby Collins. 

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

10 hours ago, port-ton said:

Can get why Dougie would say that as I couldn't believe how fucking small he was when I saw him on Saturday. However he's definitely got ability. Will be interesting to see how he does against St.mirren if he plays

Edited by Mr.Blue

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

7 hours ago, Alibi said:

Doubt he'll grow much before the season starts.  Always irks me when I hear people criticising a player for not being tall enough.  Two words: Leo Messi.  Also Bobby Collins. 

Messi’s 4 inches taller than Collins though!