Squad for next Season - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

I see there is a story in the Greenock Telegraph confirming Imrie has offered contracts for next season to most of the players out of contract. I confess I was not expecting that. I assumed Imrie would be looking to create his own squad to allow his preferred style of play. Despite the upturn in results after his appointment I remain to be convinced a team comprising the bulk of the existing squad is likely to be challenging for promotion next season. You have to hope Imrie has some rabbits to pull out from under his bunnet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

If the majority of that squad is getting kept on, any additions are going to need to be very, very good indeed.

You could offer a deal to the majority of the current squad and it would be fine. But the likes of McEntee etc. will be off anyway so it's not representative of what we'd be likely to keep around.

Offering a deal on lower terms than some of the rumoured sums McPherson was throwing at his 'marquee signings' isn't an issue either. If they take less money and stay then that's fine - if they choose to move on, that's also fine. Just don't offer 'same again' to everyone or end up doing what we did with Greacen and Harding. 

Tl;Dr version - The devil is in the detail with this particular round of contracts and until we see the first round of extensions and additions, I'll try to withhold too much judgment. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Am I looking into Chris Ross' update a bit too finely? 

"As we head into next season the football club has to face the challenges of rising costs across most areas of our operations and it will be up to myself & the commercial department to do that as best we can by working hard to provide the 1st Team Manager with the best resources we possibly can."

'1st Team Manager' sounds awful vague.

The article in the tele doesn't actually have any quotes from Imrie that he's looking to resign almost all the majority of out of contract players, just that he's offered contracts to the players he wants to keep. Nothing really new in the article compared to his post match interview on Friday. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'm not too worried about that article. Dougie's direct quote is "There have been boys offered deals" which suggests not everyone to me.

Of the 13 out of contract/loan ending players, I've seen most names appear on stay lists at some point. I'd prob release McLean, Oliver and Russell but the other 10 are either a definite keep(for me- Strapp, Hamilton, Gozie, Reilly, McEntee, Wilson and Brandon) or happy to keep as part of a squad/ no big deal if they move on( Ledger, Blues, Muirhead)

Of course there's next to no chance of retaining some of the 13 so the squad will need strengthening anyway.  

Interesting few weeks ahead. Once we see who leaves/stays we can start the mass celebrations/panic. 

Edited by Madton
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

"As we head into next season the football club has to face the challenges of rising costs across most areas of our operations and it will be up to myself & the commercial department to do that as best we can by working hard to provide the 1st Team Manager with the best resources we possibly can."

They have added Dougie Imrie to that sentence now.

13 minutes ago, Madton said:

They have added Dougie Imrie to that sentence now.

😆 someone is clearly reading the forum today.

Right Chris - get Strapp and Hamilton signed right now and show us the new home top.

41 minutes ago, port-ton said:

The article in the tele doesn't actually have any quotes from Imrie that he's looking to resign almost all the majority of out of contract players, just that he's offered contracts to the players he wants to keep. Nothing really new in the article compared to his post match interview on Friday. 

That's a fair point. I've noticed in a few of the Tele's Morton articles that there's a bit of a difference between what the story makes out and what's actually said which isn't really great even if it's not really about anything of significance. 

AWMSC

Like others have said, it's difficult to make judgements without knowing details of how much of the budget is being taken up. 

I don't think there's much of a decent argument for keeping Ledger. The goal at Arbroath is typical of how his season has gone. Oliver has also been disappointing. There's flashes of the player he can be, but not enough. Unfortunately Jacobs, McGrattan, Easdale and Hynes are still under contract. 

I think there are better arguments for the remaining players. Muirhead had been effective backup, but it depends on how much of the budget he takes up. Ugwu and Reilly are both good enough when at their best. Blues can be effective at what he does well, but we already have midfield backup. McLean, despite making some errors, has been our best defender much of the time he's played (and is much better centre half backup than Ledger). I'd keep Brandon but that might be expensive. Russell, on form, is good backup and possibly a good replacement for Strapp (but I also have a nagging uncertainty there). Strapp and Hamilton are no-brainers for me, same with Wilson. The young players are probably better out on loan for a while. 

3 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Statement reads ' 1st Team Manager, Dougie Imrie.'

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

McLean, despite making some errors, has been our best defender much of the time he's played (and is much better centre half backup than Ledger). 

We have enough concerns about declining pace and fitness at centre half with Lithgow for another next season, never mind offering McLean a new deal. It's time for us to move on from that and if he wants football elsewhere, good luck to him. 

I'd rather keep Ledger because he can cover right back as well and we need versatility to make the squad work. Similar with Russell despite neither having superb campaigns. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

We have enough concerns about declining pace and fitness at centre half with Lithgow for another next season, never mind offering McLean a new deal. It's time for us to move on from that and if he wants football elsewhere, good luck to him. 

I'd rather keep Ledger because he can cover right back as well and we need versatility to make the squad work. Similar with Russell despite neither having superb campaigns. 

Yeah, there's a risk with McLean and I'm not saying I'd necessarily want him kept on (particularly because of that injury record). But he's more secure at the back than Ledger, and has a far greater influence on those around him. I don't think it's surprising that our defence has been better with him in the team. My point is more that that he shows up how far off the level required that Ledger is (who I don't think has covered either position well this season, which has been disappointing). With Hynes being here for another year we might need to go with him as short term cover at right back, but I think we need better cover at centre half than Ledger. 

I'd love to hear the justification for extending Easdale's contract, unless it's not actually costing us money.  He needs to go out on loan to see what he can actually achieve given more game time but at a lower level.  Same with a few of the others unless any are deemed suitable for the fist team squad (King for example might be at that level even if not yet a first team starting line-up pick).

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

We are usually sniffing around the playoffs for players at this time of year. Any stand out that are out of contract? Always liked the look of Dylan Easton but don't know if he's signed up at Airdrie next season. 

Would take Dom Thomas as a winger since we have none if Dunfermline went down. Is their keeper good or did he just have that one good game that got clipped in to highlights on twitter? 

Can't say any QOTS players really stood out for me to even remember their names this season but they did pump us 3-0 so there's probably the odd option to pick up there too. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I liked the look of Fitzpatrick who played for QOS winger was fast and pretty direct think he also set one of the goals for them against us. 

Big centre half looked not bad either but think he was on loan from Motherwell so probably head back to them. 

6 hours ago, port-ton said:

We are usually sniffing around the playoffs for players at this time of year. Any stand out that are out of contract? Always liked the look of Dylan Easton but don't know if he's signed up at Airdrie next season. 

Would take Dom Thomas as a winger since we have none if Dunfermline went down. Is their keeper good or did he just have that one good game that got clipped in to highlights on twitter? 

Can't say any QOTS players really stood out for me to even remember their names this season but they did pump us 3-0 so there's probably the odd option to pick up there too. 

Dom Thomas is useless. 

32 minutes ago, Scott said:

Dom Thomas is useless. 

9 direct goal contributions in 25 league games this season if Google is to be believed for a team in the relegation playoffs. If we find any wingers with that return next season I'll be delighted. 

32.gif