Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 73 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

Why are Partick shown as 6th and us 7th?  We have identical points and goal differences, and if you take the aggregate scores in our games (0-1, 5-1, 2-1, 0-3) we are +1 compared to them.  We're even ahead of them in alphabetical order.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are Partick shown as 6th and us 7th?  We have identical points and goal differences, and if you take the aggregate scores in our games (0-1, 5-1, 2-1, 0-3) we are +1 compared to them.  We're even ahead of them in alphabetical order.

Might be because they've scored more goals than us. 

Tad concerned that Ayr are fecking this up for us. Losing to Partick last night and will prob lose in Maryhill on Sat the way they are playing meaning Thistle are safe with a week to go. ( assuming Queens dont win in Dingwall on Fri night) That then gives Queens a good chance of beating Thistle on the last day and Ayr will most likely rest their first team for their game against Alloa with their first playoff game only a few days later so you would fancy Alloa to win beat them.

Can see Alloa and Queens having a minimum 41 points( possibly more if they pick up points this weekend)

We need another win, especially with our shit goal difference!

Not sure how we can possibly get more than 41 points when we're already sitting on 40, have a dung side to play at the weekend and a final home game that is a total dead rubber for the visitors tbh - it's such an uphill struggle from here. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Might be because they've scored more goals than us. 

On head to head results, we are above them.  Goal difference is used as a secondary differentiator, but not just goals scored.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On head to head results, we are above them.  Goal difference is used as a secondary differentiator, but not just goals scored.

Nope, that's totally wrong. This isn't Spain: goal difference and goals scored act as tie-breakers in Scotland before head to head results*. 

* if they're even considered at all

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Nope, that's totally wrong. This isn't Spain: goal difference and goals scored act as tie-breakers in Scotland before head to head results*. 

* if they're even considered at all

Head-to-head is indeed considered, but only after goal difference and goals scored.

What's interesting - and to my knowledge this has never been required in Scotland - is that if two teams are completely equal on all of these things (exact same points, goal difference, goals scored, and a set of 0-0 draws as their head-to-head), and they are competing for something "meaningful" (i.e. either the league title, a European place, a top six place, or 11th or 12th) then they play a single game play-off at a neutral venue with cup final rules (90 mins, 30 mins ET, penalties.)

If there is nothing meaningful to play for - so if this is the difference between 7th and 8th, say - they sack the playoff and they are just ranked alphabetically but are considered statistically (and in terms of prize money) to have finished in the same place.

EOho8Pw.png

Head-to-head is indeed considered, but only after goal difference and goals scored.

What's interesting - and to my knowledge this has never been required in Scotland - is that if two teams are completely equal on all of these things (exact same points, goal difference, goals scored, and a set of 0-0 draws as their head-to-head), and they are competing for something "meaningful" (i.e. either the league title, a European place, a top six place, or 11th or 12th) then they play a single game play-off at a neutral venue with cup final rules (90 mins, 30 mins ET, penalties.)

If there is nothing meaningful to play for - so if this is the difference between 7th and 8th, say - they sack the playoff and they are just ranked alphabetically but are considered statistically (and in terms of prize money) to have finished in the same place.

It's not quite the same thing, but in the season we finished second (I think), St Mirren were grubbing about near the bottom of the SPL and Bill Leckie proposed a last-minute promotion play-off between us and them. Obviously it wasn't likely to happen, but imagine the scenes at the end of that either way. 

AWMSC

What's interesting - and to my knowledge this has never been required in Scotland - is that if two teams are completely equal on all of these things (exact same points, goal difference, goals scored, and a set of 0-0 draws as their head-to-head), and they are competing for something "meaningful" (i.e. either the league title, a European place, a top six place, or 11th or 12th) then they play a single game play-off at a neutral venue with cup final rules (90 mins, 30 mins ET, penalties.)

Pretty sure this was almost happening the year we stayed up by a goal with the 3-0 win over Thistle?

Pretty sure this was almost happening the year we stayed up by a goal with the 3-0 win over Thistle?

Yeah, at that point they didn’t use head-to-head as a tiebreaker even after goals, so had we been level with Clyde on GD & GS we’d have had a playoff with them, although had HTH been in use we’d have stayed up.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I’m assuming HTH came in that start of 2013/14 season when the SPFL was formed.

The closest I can remember in our case at least was when we wince the league in 2015. IIRC had we beat Peterhead 1-0 and Forfar beat Ayr 5-1 on the last day (I haven’t checked, so those scores might not be accurate) we’d have ended the season on identical records, with the HTH records also equal.

Prize money announced for this season;

1st. £562,500

2nd. £475,000

3rd. £400,000

4th. £325,000

5th. £250,000

6th. £225,000

7th. £212,500

8th. £200,000

9th. £187,500

Falkirk. £175,000

Seems higher than before but no doubt Iron Man will still find a way to throw another mystery £200k down the drain.

Queens were the more threatening side until the goal.

Edit - they’ve just hit the bar.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived