Pre-Season - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Pre-Season

Admin

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obviously the risk you take as a trialist but I can't help feel awful that a player playing for us and presumably with a family to provide for has been put in this position and could be looking at a hard year ahead financially now as he recovers. It makes it worse that he's a former well liked player of ours too. 

I doubt it will happen as people have enough shit going on in their own lives financially but if it turns out as bad as it looks and there's a gofund me page or something set up to help him out then I'd happily donate. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

We pretty much controlled the game although we looked vulnerable to long balls over the top. I think we may have exceeded the proverbial 27 corners in the first half. Quitongo was unreal - his pace is incredible and some of his turns to get away from opponents in tight situations were superb. Annan’s main threat came from Tommy Goss, a player I first saw about 10 years ago at under 17 level. He is tall, strong and skilful and won a lot of balls in the air. Wouldn’t mind having him in our squad.  Terrific goal, made by Quitongo and well taken by Waters - no idea what he was doing to be in front of goal but put it away confidently.

On the way back to Dumfries I passed an ambulance with blue lights on heading for Annan. Presumably a serious injury to Doyle as he couldn’t be moved and was still on the pitch when we left the ground.  Not sure what happened but maybe studs caught in the artificial pitch. I hope it’s not as serious as it looked.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

We pretty much controlled the game although we looked vulnerable to long balls over the top. I think we may have exceeded the proverbial 27 corners in the first half. Quitongo was unreal - his pace is incredible and some of his turns to get away from opponents in tight situations were superb. Annan’s main threat came from Tommy Goss, a player I first saw about 10 years ago at under 17 level. He is tall, strong and skilful and won a lot of balls in the air. Wouldn’t mind having him in our squad.  Terrific goal, made by Quitongo and well taken by Waters - no idea what he was doing to be in front of goal but put it away confidently.

On the way back to Dumfries I passed an ambulance with blue lights on heading for Annan. Presumably a serious injury to Doyle as he couldn’t be moved and was still on the pitch when we left the ground.  Not sure what happened but maybe studs caught in the artificial pitch. I hope it’s not as serious as it looked.

Artificial surfaces in summer are an absolute minefield if not properly looked after.  I hope he hasn't done anything silly like wearing the wrong boots for it.

I can understand why some clubs have them but artificial surfaces at all professional levels should be binned imo

here today, gone to hell

Did Dougie not say in the Tele he wouldn't be offering a contract, or did I imagine that? If so, not sure why he was playing as a trialist, surely his place should have been taken by someone who had the potential to receive an offer. 

Like everyone else I hope it's not as bad as it first appears, and he makes a speedy recovery.

Fingers crossed for Doyle. If it’s straight forward and no ligament damage he could be back in 6-8 weeks. Worst time for it to happen having no club, especially as he’s potentially done a few ligaments that could see him out until next season. 

Always seemed a decent guy (despite a stint at Falkirk) and great with the fans when he was here so hope it’s a speedy recovery for him.

53 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Did Dougie not say in the Tele he wouldn't be offering a contract, or did I imagine that? If so, not sure why he was playing as a trialist, surely his place should have been taken by someone who had the potential to receive an offer. 

Like everyone else I hope it's not as bad as it first appears, and he makes a speedy recovery.

Don't think he was ever a trialist in the true sense of the word, more calling in a favour for pre-season facilities.

He was never getting a contract but he would have known that from the start. Still seems a risk on the player's part to play in the games then. Doubt we railroaded him in to making 2nd half cameos.

Horrible outcome though.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Don't think he was ever a trialist in the true sense of the word, more calling in a favour for pre-season facilities.

He was never getting a contract but he would have known that from the start. Still seems a risk on the player's part to play in the games then. Doubt we railroaded him in to making 2nd half cameos.

Horrible outcome though.

Gets him in the shop window, bit of match fitness and means signed players don't need to do a full 90 if not up to it yet and risk injuring themselves. Obviously it didn't work out well for him but guessing that was the reason. 

I'm not sure I fully agree with allowing players to train with us, if we've got no intention of signing them. Of course on the one hand, I understand it's a decent thing to do, especially for ex-players like Doyle, and it costs us nothing. But on the other hand, we could be helping players to get up to match fitness who could eventually sign for one of our league rivals.

32 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I'm not sure I fully agree with allowing players to train with us, if we've got no intention of signing them. Of course on the one hand, I understand it's a decent thing to do, especially for ex-players like Doyle, and it costs us nothing. But on the other hand, we could be helping players to get up to match fitness who could eventually sign for one of our league rivals.

Probably happens way more that we even suspect.

Efe was training with Hamilton for months before we signed him.

11 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Probably happens way more that we even suspect.

Efe was training with Hamilton for months before we signed him.

Yeah I think its part and parcel of football.  Managers, coaches and players looking to help out a friend or a former team mate. 

I'm sure Robbie Crawford was training with dunfermline before we signed him too.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

16 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

The trialists also serve a purpose in the early stages of pre-season when we don't have a lot of signed players. A training session with sixteen players, for example, allows a greater range of training drills than a session with eight players. If a session is run with sixteen players then it allows some shape and set piece work to be carried out, to the benefit of the signed players. It doesn't cost us anything to bring them in and they improve the quality of the sessions the coaches can deliver. It's a no-brainer. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

36 minutes ago, BishopBrennan said:

The trialists also serve a purpose in the early stages of pre-season when we don't have a lot of signed players. A training session with sixteen players, for example, allows a greater range of training drills than a session with eight players. If a session is run with sixteen players then it allows some shape and set piece work to be carried out, to be benefit of the signed players. It doesn't cost us anything to bring them in and they improve the quality of the sessions the coaches can deliver. It's a no-brainer. 

Yeah, fair points. 

But on the other hand, if we involve players in set-piece training who eventually sign for a league rival, that knowledge and experience could also be used against us. 

It's not something that keeps we awake at night, and I'm sure there are benefits for us as well, as you correctly point out. I'm still not 100% convinced though that the benefits outweigh the possible disadvantages. 

13 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Yeah, fair points. 

But on the other hand, if we involve players in set-piece training who eventually sign for a league rival, that knowledge and experience could also be used against us. 

It's not something that keeps we awake at night, and I'm sure there are benefits for us as well, as you correctly point out. I'm still not 100% convinced though that the benefits outweigh the possible disadvantages. 

I also wondered about allowing Doyle to play after saying he wouldn't be offered a deal.

Surely playing the boy McKay (if there's a chance he may be offered a deal) would make more sense.

No criticism of Doyle ment here and I wish him well in his recovery. 

18 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Yeah, fair points. 

Most (if not all) clubs in the league will undertake opposition scouting ahead of a match and already possess knowledge of an oppositions set piece routines from club highlights, televised matches and WyScout. It's not exactly nuclear activation codes we're dealing with here. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Yeah, fair points. 

Think you're overestimating how much trialists will actually be privy to competitive match day tactics and set pieces. I doubt that's the focus in pre season. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived