The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24 - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24

Toby

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

That's both the Motherwell game and tonight that we fannies from that section have been throwing things at morton fans at the front of the Cowshed as well. It's a shame as that section have put in such an amazing effort to make cappielow a better experience for all Morton fans and are being let down by some idiots during the big nights at cappielow. 

So nothing to do with "that section" then. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

So nothing to do with "that section" then. 

The passive aggressive nature of the quotation marks around that section probably putting in the hardest shift of the night there. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Just made it home and maybe I am in the minority but I thought we missed an opportunity tonight. Yes we were up against it with our injury list but Hearts were no great shakes and when we got in their faces at the beginning of the second half they were rattled. I am not suggesting we should have chased the game afterwards but when players were out on their feet and your only sub is a full back I was surprised. I appreciate Imrie does not trust the boys on the bench but surely one of them was a better option than throwing Broadfoot up top. 

I know some don't like it but I love having a big away support as it creates a better atmosphere. Sadly though the basic infrastructure at Cappielow continues to let us down. A lot of fans missed the start of the game, yet again, as the scanners did not work (I am reliably informed it was the same for the Hearts support). As for the food offering in the Sinclair Street...

Well done to everyone for a great cup run this year but any chance we could get to see a Morton goal again?

• Downvote 3

8 hours ago, port-ton said:

That's both the Motherwell game and tonight that we fannies from that section have been throwing things at morton fans at the front of the Cowshed as well. It's a shame as that section have put in such an amazing effort to make cappielow a better experience for all Morton fans and are being let down by some idiots during the big nights at cappielow. 

Admittedly there were also a few blootered folk trying to start fights at the back of it as well (including one particular pain in the arse in a bobble hat and tracksuit who seemed to spend fully 2 hours acting a hard man). 

A few bumpers aside, I thought the whole operation was relatively slick compared to previous big games. The club deserves credit for that. Hopefully this gives them a bit of confidence that minor improvements make a difference.

I was surprised at Waters being brought on as a sub rather than a more attacking option given we were a goal down, and yes, with hindsight Power should maybe have impeded the runner in the build up to the goal, but overall we matched them all over the park. Mullen was superb, and his kick outs from hand were reaching the D of the opposition’s penalty area - astonishing for a player carrying an injury. Strapp was immense despite some rough treatment. Shankland was reduced to mediocrity. With Oakley on, we would have won that but can’t fault the effort and commitment of the entire team. Now let’s bring that to the league starting with giving Partick a doing on Saturday. Imrie still doing a great job so let’s get the playoffs on his cv.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Great performance from the entire team.  We could have nicked a win (and were well worth it) but for a couple of outstanding saves from Gordon - the one from Strapp in particular was just ridiculous.

We could do far worse than lining up like that for the next few games - or at least until Oakley & Wilson become available.  Having the extra centre half gave the fullbacks licence to get forward a bit more and a few of our chances came about that way.  Put in that sort of a performance we would rinse other championship sides on most weeks.

Now that the cups out the way, we can focus fully on hopefully securing a playoff spot.  Although on paper it looks like our form has dropped, I think that a lot of positives can be taken from our last 2 games - especially when you consider how many key players we have been missing.

• Upvote 1

Proper boot in the haw-maws last night, losing a goal so late in the game after playing so well. Having slept on in though I'm a bit more philosophical about it now. All said and done it was a very decent cup run, and while it's obviously disappointing for it to come to an end, at least we went out fighting and with our heads held high. Every player gave their all and did the club and themselves proud, and you can't really ask for any more than that. On another night we could have nicked it, but it wasn't to be.

On the positive side, we can now focus 100% getting into the playoffs. If we can get Oakley and Wilson back and fit, we're surely in with a right good shout. And considering the first tie will in all probability be against plucky wee Partick, it's something to relish. All to play for!

After last night, I hope we back the boys in big numbers this weekend. They're more than deserving of it.

If Raith beat them tonight we have a game in hand over Partick and a chance to close the gap or to go ahead of them on GD Saturday.

In the past I’ve come away from cup exits against top flight teams feeling angry because of heinous referring, bad luck or satanic cheating by the opposition. Last night I just felt deflated, yet proud of the performance. Whilst we matched Hearts, I felt that we didn’t really trouble them much except for a brief spell in each half. It was hard to argue with the result.

The goal was avoidable but it’s hard to lay blame. The players were toiling and we’ll never know what might have happened if the subs had gotten the chance to come on before they scored. I feel that extra time would have drained us and maybe have seen a harsher scoreline in the end.

Good atmosphere, aside from a few numpties. Great to see the place full and jumping again. 
Really hope we can start scoring again and keep our push for the playoffs.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

19 hours ago, Deego said:

People being spat on from the back of the shed too.

Aye it's that same section of wee guys at the back of the shed that have caused a bit of hassle before. Chucking food, spitting. Bound to be a few sore faces for it eventually.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg