Squad for next Season - Page 126 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

9 hours ago, port-ton said:

Im not actually in the slightest bit bothered by any bitterness he may have towards the club however he was happy to take the applause from the fans on the final home game of last season and still has many fans raging that he left/desperate for him to rejoin so it seems a bit strange just cause he doesn't like Imrie. 

The thinking maybe isn't that joined up, though. Any time I hear whisperings from certain people around the club, it's about how unfairly they think Imrie treats/has treated certain players. So I think there probably is quite a bit of bitterness towards Imrie from a certain group. 

I think the point is that there are those who think Imrie has been wrong about players like Strapp, McGregor, Lyon, etc and think he's not gone about things in the right way. The enjoyment is probably getting one over Imrie and the rest just kind of rolls into that. A family of a former player who thinks he's not been treated fairly is probably going to be pretty partisan towards their family member. And Strapp is probably just thinking about it through his bitterness towards Imrie. 

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

The thinking maybe isn't that joined up, though. Any time I hear whisperings from certain people around the club, it's about how unfairly they think Imrie treats/has treated certain players. So I think there probably is quite a bit of bitterness towards Imrie from a certain group. 

I think the point is that there are those who think Imrie has been wrong about players like Strapp, McGregor, Lyon, etc and think he's not gone about things in the right way. The enjoyment is probably getting one over Imrie and the rest just kind of rolls into that. A family of a former player who thinks he's not been treated fairly is probably going to be pretty partisan towards their family member. And Strapp is probably just thinking about it through his bitterness towards Imrie. 

It could be that or it could just be in support of his friend?  I know Strapp has attended several games as a fan since being let go so that wouldn’t suggest bitterness towards the club(although the same isn’t neccesarily true about his feelings towards the gaffer).

23 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

It could be that or it could just be in support of his friend?  I know Strapp has attended several games as a fan since being let go so that wouldn’t suggest bitterness towards the club(although the same isn’t neccesarily true about his feelings towards the gaffer).

That's kinda what I mean - I've seen nothing at all to suggest bitterness towards the club. He's not joining up supporting his mate (who has been in the same boat with him in regards to not being wanted by Imrie) with liking something supporting Morton losing (he doesn't really need to join those things up). He can support McGregor, dislike Imrie, and still like Morton. Specifically liking something with someone giving the shh sign does suggest he relates to a bit of bitterness there but I suspect that's all towards Imrie. 

As with all cases, though, my speculation could all be rubbish! 

15 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Doesn't the fact the Lewis hasn't found another club yet kinda vindicate Dougie's decision to let him go? Unless of course he's still not fully fit.

I don't think he is fully fit. I also think it's a bit of a strange one. Many fans had Strapp as our best player over the course of the last calendar year, but the longer he hasn't played the worse he seems to get for some. A fully fit Strapp would have no difficultly finding a club at this level, I'm sure.

I actually think the issue is that Imrie is pretty ruthless about the way he goes about it. He did it with Jacobs when he first came in, and there was some ill feeling in that one as well. From what I've heard, if Imrie doesn't want you or like the way you go about things then it might not be very pleasant (we can all see the way he is with McGrattan as well). In Imrie's defence, he's working with an incredibly tight budget and his ruthlessness has been part of his success here. It's going to feel unpleasant for some, but that's the job he's been tasked with. It's pretty easy to see it from both sides. 

32 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Doesn't the fact the Lewis hasn't found another club yet kinda vindicate Dougie's decision to let him go? Unless of course he's still not fully fit.

Not really, no, unless you think he is heading for the Lowland League or retirement (same thing really).

Ayr fans will probably get their wish after all and he will rock up there at some point when fit enough to do so which all evidence points to him not being.

3 hours ago, HamCam said:

I am struggling to see what the issue is here. Fair play to McGregor for establishing himself at Airdrie and then scoring against the club that released him on Saturday - the photo of his parents celebrating is only natural. I don't doubt Strapp was/is one of his mates and seeing the humour in the photo simply liked it. 

I think you're spot on here.  Some people are just reading too much into someone liking a tweet.  If Lewis is bitter about Imrie, it doesn't mean he's suddenly going to hate the club that he has played with, developed as a player, and given great service too, for several years.  Still think Imrie was wrong to let him go and it does seem he may have some issue with our youth academy players generally, but this tweet is just some folk taking things too seriously.

• Upvote 2

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

It’s quite a simple explanation:

Imrie has a phobia about Morton academy players having an affinity with the club and the fan base. He’s hung on to McGrattan through gritted teeth only because he can clearly contribute to the team performance, and to offer a token “look, this proves I have nothing against academy players”. Is anyone going to tell us with a straight face that Boyd, Broadfoot, Wilson and Power are upgrades on Lyon, McGregor, King and Strapp? 

Wake up and smell the coffee FFS!

• Downvote 10

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

It’s quite a simple explanation:

Imrie has a phobia about Morton academy players having an affinity with the club and the fan base. He’s hung on to McGrattan through gritted teeth only because he can clearly contribute to the team performance, and to offer a token “look, this proves I have nothing against academy players”. Is anyone going to tell us with a straight face that Boyd, Broadfoot, Wilson and Power are upgrades on Lyon, McGregor, King and Strapp? 

Wake up and smell the coffee FFS!

Nonsense. I don't think many people would have kept McGregor at the time and multiple managers haven't thought Lyon puts in the effort needed consistently enough to play ever week. Strapp doesn't have a club either which suggests an issue (appreciate there's an injury but it was known he was leaving and he didn't have offers). 

There's no way the thought that Mcgratten playing proves any sort of point has ever come into Imries head either. 

6 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Nonsense. I don't think many people would have kept McGregor at the time and multiple managers haven't thought Lyon puts in the effort needed consistently enough to play ever week. Strapp doesn't have a club either which suggests an issue (appreciate there's an injury but it was known he was leaving and he didn't have offers). 

There's no way the thought that Mcgratten playing proves any sort of point has ever come into Imries head either. 

What type of issue does that suggest with Strapp? Imrie preferred Waters. I don't think there needs to be anything negative towards Strapp in this. And I don't think many expected or wanted McGregor to leave - the majority probably thought he'd go out on loan and we'd see how things stood in the summer. 

There's no evidence that Imrie has got it in for academy players, but they're not his players and that has always been abundantly clear. There's little or no space for them in his first team approach (which is the task he's been given, to be fair). Managers will always make errors in judgements about players, and there's nothing to suggest anything untoward in Imrie's judgements, but he maybe has got some wrong recently. 

On 10/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, SpoonTon said:

Can't disagree with any of that. But to me - situations like this are just another by-product of the modern digital age. Anyone and everyone can type any knee-jerk reaction they like into a phone and broadcast it for the world to see - hungry for the likes and comments to come flooding in to satisy the narcissism this toxic culture has induced into us through FB and the rest of them. The very fact that we're on here discussing it shows what a powerful weapon it has come to be. It's exactly the reason why I closed all of my (anti)social media accounts years ago. I can honestly say that my life has been a whole lot richer without them.

7 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

What type of issue does that suggest with Strapp? Imrie preferred Waters. I don't think there needs to be anything negative towards Strapp in this. And I don't think many expected or wanted McGregor to leave - the majority probably thought he'd go out on loan and we'd see how things stood in the summer. 

I suspect the vast majority of responses to McGregor leaving was a shrug of the shoulders. Just because nobody was gathering a flaming torch wielding mob to empty him from Cappielow doesn't mean that he was seen as a valued member of the first team. For comparison's sake - is anyone going to be up in arms if Garrity stays, goes out on loan or leaves the club this January coming?

No harm to either of them as individuals, but this supposed to be a professional football club that must make those utterly ruthless decisions all the time. If we're going to indulge in revisionism whenever an ex-Morton player scores against us and correct our 'mistake', then we'd be languishing in West of Scotland Division Three right now.

As for Strapp, Imrie took repeated criticism and endless braying about that decision at the time. He retorted by saying that we should see where Strapp ends up, and here we are, in October. The fanbase can't have it both ways here - if we exercise a right to be critical of the original decision then we should have the good grace to accept that it has in fact been vindicated up to this point. It's not in top 10 of my list of possible complaints right now, that's for sure. 

None of that has got to do with trashing individuals - unless we're now setting a different standard for anyone who came through our own ranks compared to the rest who can get slaughtered on a semi-regular basis.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 2 weeks later...

In today's Tele that Harkness is injured long term and likely to be away back to Rangers without playing a game.

The logical choice here would be to persist with Baird & French at centre back and deal with Wilson out of position at right back until O'Connor's fit then move French out there, but I have the fear that this now means Broadfoot starting every game.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

In today's Tele that Harkness is injured long term and likely to be away back to Rangers without playing a game.

The logical choice here would be to persist with Baird & French at centre back and deal with Wilson out of position at right back until O'Connor's fit then move French out there, but I have the fear that this now means Broadfoot starting every game.

We must have been desperate to sign the young lad given we knew he was carrying an injury. If Broadfoot and Wilson are regular starters I fear the worst. Nothing against either player they are just not good enough and have no pace. Throw in the form of Power and Boyd...

28 minutes ago, HamCam said:

We must have been desperate to sign the young lad given we knew he was carrying an injury. If Broadfoot and Wilson are regular starters I fear the worst. Nothing against either player they are just not good enough and have no pace. Throw in the form of Power and Boyd...

Wilson has been fine at right back in the last 2 games. You're saying he has a lack of pace but grimshaw wasn't the quickest. 

Disclaimer- I am in no way saying Wilson is as good an option than grimmy was.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• 1 month later...