Squad for next Season - Page 97 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

2 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

I'm not sure about that - I did not really follow him closely but according to flashscore he made 21 appearances for accies before going on loan to alloa where he played in every single match apart from their playoffs  (where he was presumably not allowed to play against his parent club).  I would be open to us bringing him in - I don't remember him being a standout during his time here but he was pretty solid, and realistically any replacement we get for Grimshaw is going to be a downgrade.

Any ideas who the other keeper is?

My mistake. 

I assumed he was injured as I didn't see him in any accies squads.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

23 hours ago, Toby said:

It’s not a case of “finding out soon enough” as there’s nothing to suggest there’s a decision to be made other than the voices in your tiny mind.

I don’t know if this is an attempt at trolling or getting a bite off other posters on here, but all you’re succeeding in doing is making a fool of yourself, and not for the first time.

I’ve only had one bite so far, but it’s a good one!

• Downvote 7

Doyle's not good enough for where we want to be. If this was pre-Dalrada and the squad was totally bare bones, he'd do a job, but we need to be aiming a bit higher, at least as a starting point. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, TRVMP said:

Doyle's not good enough for where we want to be. If this was pre-Dalrada and the squad was totally bare bones, he'd do a job, but we need to be aiming a bit higher, at least as a starting point. 

My concern would be if we’re using our limited funds to bring in back-up players rather than upgrades on what we have, that we’re not serious enough about going for the holy grail of promotion. 

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’ll tell you what Toby, I’ll put on a £10 bet with you, to go to the charity of your choice, on who will be Morton’s club captain this coming season, if you’re up for it. 

Why would I even dignify you by entering into a bet about a complete non-issue?

24 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Whatever you had before you hooked up with VT Toby, you’ve lost it. You’ve became a sad version of your former self.

Any regular forum user over the years will have seen Toby become one of the most informed and interesting posters in here.

You, on the other hand, are the same fucking idiot version of yourself that we all feel sorry and embarrassed for.

29 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Spending all the money you have is not sensible budgeting either. 

Particularly when there's clubs in the division who will be spending big-time to get the top two spots (Dundee United and playoff runners-up Partick.)

I imagine the internal goal is to have a proper crack at the top four. That doesn't necessitate spending last year's profit.

Solihull Moors in the National League in England ended up loaning out two of their star players because they were mid-table, not in any danger of relegation, and decided it was better to take the wage savings and loan fees and invest them into the club than to just have an ambitious budget for the sake of it. I'm not necessarily saying that's something to emulate: it's a pretty extreme example. But it shows prudence and realism.

I think Raith are a club who in the last decade spent a few seasons spending to the last pound trying to go up, fell slightly short, and since then they've cut their cloth significantly. I'd rather we just spent wisely and if and only if we have a favorable league environment and some extra cash should we really push the boat out.

EOho8Pw.png

On 4/23/2023 at 10:34 AM, DreamOakTree said:

Did Dougie not take the captaincy off Lewis though and also drop him from the team for a few games? Suggests a bit more than just budgetary issues.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’ll tell you what Toby, I’ll put on a £10 bet with you, to go to the charity of your choice, on who will be Morton’s club captain this coming season, if you’re up for it. 

What is it with you a stripping captaincies?

Not long ago it was the fictitious stripping of Strapp's captaincy (never club captain).

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

What is it with you a stripping captaincies?

Not long ago it was the fictitious stripping of Strapp's captaincy (never club captain).

He's a bellend. Probably a skunk or Partick fan in here to try and wind folk up. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

14 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Can I ask why we have such a limited budget for players when the club made a significant profit last year and we are debt free. 

I keep hearing if the budget allows surely we can't be that skint after a profitable season last year. 

You cannot rely on playing an OF team away every season so I'd be hoping we didn't just throw all our profit at the squad.