Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

We can't be 'ruthless' with him. We were legally obligated to offer him an extension.

Does that extension need to be of equal terms? Could we low-ball him? (Not saying we should do that, just curious)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that extension need to be of equal terms? Could we low-ball him? (Not saying we should do that, just curious)

Have questioned that at times but think the Telfer stuff made that unlikely to be the case or why would we have bothered when we could have just offered a quid a week for the desired no.

It's out of our hands whether we do or not keep all 3 (other than Tidser who we chose to offer to despite offers being in for the other 2).

Right enough if they all accept the contract offers.

Well, with McAlister and Jacobs ostensibly able to play in multiple roles in midfield or defence they should be able to contribute without us suffering the effects of shoehorning too many CMs in to the side at once that we saw at points last season.

Didn't Millar play at wing-back when he first arrived? I seem to remember him having a really good spell there before moving into the middle; also fairly sure his first game there was in a farcical game at Alloa featuring a cunt of a ref whose name I always forget.

Anyway, I think his lack of mobility is over-exaggerated. He's not going to be chasing about the place like a young Scott Brown, but he still gets about and has the intelligence to make up for the lack of pace. For the most part he done very little wrong last season.

AWMSC

Didn't Millar play at wing-back when he first arrived? I seem to remember him having a really good spell there before moving into the middle; also fairly sure his first game there was in a farcical game at Alloa featuring a cunt of a ref whose name I always forget.

Anyway, I think his lack of mobility is over-exaggerated. He's not going to be chasing about the place like a young Scott Brown, but he still gets about and has the intelligence to make up for the lack of pace. For the most part he done very little wrong last season.

We always used to get a wee fat baldie ref in the 2nd division who was hopeless, I think his name was Hardie maybe?

One game at Alloa was the worst display I’ve saw from a ref.

We always used to get a wee fat baldie ref in the 2nd division who was hopeless, I think his name was Hardie maybe?

One game at Alloa was the worst display I’ve saw from a ref.

Colin Hardie. He was a wee cunt. There were a number of incidents involving him and Morton, but the only one that specifically springs to mind was him sending Peter Weatherson off for a pretty innocuous tackle in a Renfrewshire Cup final at Cappielow.

IIRC, he took great pleasure in making it all about him, racing up to Weatherson with the red card, and milking his moment in the limelight. Cretin.

Colin Hardie. He was a wee cunt. There were a number of incidents involving him and Morton, but the only one that specifically springs to mind was him sending Peter Weatherson off for a pretty innocuous tackle in a Renfrewshire Cup final at Cappielow.

IIRC, he took great pleasure in making it all about him, racing up to Weatherson with the red card, and milking his moment in the limelight. Cretin.

I always remember him throwing a strop when, after a brief discussion, Templeman briefly placed a conciliatory hand on his shoulder. A Grade A fanny.

This was a different guy though. Craig McKay, maybe? Can't really remember what his particularly crimes were, just that he was absolutely awful to a degree that made Hardie look competent.

AWMSC

I always remember him throwing a strop when, after a brief discussion, Templeman briefly placed a conciliatory hand on his shoulder. A Grade A fanny.

This was a different guy though. Craig McKay, maybe? Can't really remember what his particularly crimes were, just that he was absolutely awful to a degree that made Hardie look competent.

Brian Cassidy? Can’t remember his particular crimes against us, but I fucking hated him.

Brian Cassidy? Can’t remember his particular crimes against us, but I fucking hated him.

Hardie and Cassidy were fucking dreadful referees.

Both modelled on the legendary Louis Thow.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Craig MacKay, it was, just checked on Soccerbase. Scott Bannerman got sent off after 10 minutes, it finished 3-3 with us coming from behind to draw level before they scored a late penalty to win it. Again, I can't remember specifics, just that it was a fuckin mental game and a horrific refereeing performance. 

Jim McAlister also played that day, coming off the bench to replace Weatherson in a game that was the beginning of his decline that season and just to bring it back on topic, Millar was excellent in it. It probably wasn't his first game at centre-mid now I think of it, but it's the one that sticks in my mind, he was outstanding in it.

AWMSC

I can’t recall much more than a handful of misplaced passes throughout the season. The miscommunication with Dallas that ended up with ICT getting a late equaliser the only big one I can think of right now but looking like the case of players having different instructions from the dugout.

Anyway I feel that Millar being referred to as the “weak link” earlier gives me hope of having a great team for the coming season. If one of our top performers suddenly becomes the least capable then that’s a squad I’m excited about because I don’t think Chris has become a bad player overnight.

McAlister looked useful on the left side of a back three tail end of the season and it also got him out of that midfield quagmire, if Tidser does stay then Millar looks like the weak and presumably expensive link in the equation.

Millar was a more consistent performer than Tidser last season, and despite having several years on him he's not the one who looks like he's towing a caravan when running around the pitch. He's not the one I'd be concerned about not fitting into Hopkin's style of play then. 

I think the offer to Tidser is largely a face-saving gesture and he'll be off regardless. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm pretty sure he played a few games in that role during one of Jim McInally's 17 million formation changes while bottling promotion on an annual basis. McAlister played at right wing-back at Hamilton as well as left wing-back for a fairly long time for us under Sir David Irons, so I'd be more comfortable with him being able to quickly readjust to that role. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Millar played at wing back more than any other position under McCormack, and occasionally appeared there under McInally, for example against Kilmarnock when he was out there to negate Steven Naismith who was playing on the wing at the time, and completely marked him out the game.

The aforementioned Alloa game was definitely Craig Mackay refereeing. Bannerman was sent off for an off the ball incident no one else in the ground saw, they went 2-0 up, we came back to lead 3-2 then in stoppage time Robbie Henderson chested the ball out for a corner. The linesman who was 10 yards away and had a clear view signalled for a corner, Mackay who was about 30 yards away toward the halfway line and didn’t have a clear view because Henderson had his back to him immediately gave a penalty. An absolute cunt of a human being.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived