Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wish someone would explain to me why clubs are still making large losses with increased prize money?

It looks as though the club’s quoted have spent more on wage bills than their income allows, to “gamble” on getting promotion. The increased prize money probably just added to this trend.

I still wish someone would explain to me why clubs are still making large losses with increased prize money?

I get the impression that most clubs have been run like Morton; no strict budget to speak of with the debt left at the end of the season either written off or stacked up. All the extra prize money seems to have done is increase the overall revenue/turnover to a point where the owners can no longer afford to absorb e.g. a 20% overspend.

Oliver leaves because of the reduced offer made to him as well.

Absolutely terrifying that we offered any sort of terms to all three of our underperforming strikers. Next we'll find out Hoppy has tried to get Andy Dallas back on loan as well.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Who knows what will happen, but I still think Hopkin will get the best out of a limited squad. Some of the Livingston players were on £250-350 a week when he got them promoted. 

And how do we know that feat can be chiefly credited to Hopkin and not to Martindale, given that they've did just fine after the former left last summer? Placing all our expectations on a 'he'll get the most from a dung squad anyway' theory is an accident waiting to happen IMO. I want to see the current squad being ruthlessly purged now to make way for some quality additions in a smaller squad. New (even reduced term) deals being handed out all round to forwards who barely broke double figures between them last season is not a good start.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Who knows what will happen, but I still think Hopkin will get the best out of a limited squad. Some of the Livingston players were on £250-350 a week when he got them promoted.

There's a bit of blind faith at the moment based on the positivity about the appointment particularly when all looked bleak and because Hopkin is credited with the success at Livi with a low budget.

Whether he was solely responsible for that is unclear rather than Marindale allegedly pulling the strings and whether he can emulate it also remains to be seen.

Some of the contract offers are a definite red flag though and the first real cause for concern after a series of bits of positive news.

Ultimately, real first judgement will come once the squad is building with offers accepted and new signings made. Hopefully that point is more positive than the news of some of the questionable contract offers we have made.

Are we not due to hear on the futures of Millar, McAlister and Buchanan today? Thought I'd read that the 3 of them had until today to decide if they want their contracts extended.

Edit - Tumilty as well. 

Are we not due to hear on the futures of Millar, McAlister and Buchanan today? Thought I'd read that the 3 of them had until today to decide if they want their contracts extended.

Edit - Tumilty as well.

"Contract offers have been made to Michael Tidser, Lewis Strapp, Bob McHugh, and Robert Thomson and we expect to receive their answers in the coming days.

Jim McAlister, Chris Millar, Gregor Buchanan, and Reghan Tumilty, meanwhile, all have an appearance-based option to activate one-year extensions and a final decision will be made on their futures by Wednesday."

It could also be possible we’ve even offered Tidser reduced terms, just so the club are able to go “look, we did try” if he takes the money elsewhere.

If Hopkin rates him then I'm pretty sure they offered what they could afford. If that's less then they did try so it's no like it's some sort of scam.

Archived