Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

Thomson? FFS.  Has Hoppy ever seen him play?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McHugh as well, ****. The only reason I can think of behind keeping Thomson is for him to play a similar role that Hopkin had Lee Miller playing when they got promoted. I would’ve been alright with keeping McHugh on as back up but not the pair of them. Both have flattered to deceive the past 2 years.

Lee Miller could header a ball. I'd have been okay with one of them being kept on as back up, but if we have a smaller squad this year you would presume that we will have three strikers possibly next season, and two of those slots could already be taken by two strikers who played in a team that only scored 36 goals in the league last season, while Thomson is also injury prone.

Hopefully at least one of them rejects the contract offer. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If McHugh avoids injuries he'll have a good season in a more positive team. He was good this season.

I've no idea what he sees in Thomson though.

McHugh should be at Falkirk next season, Thomson at the abattoir (or more harshly, Dumbarton).

It's a strong cull, binning almost everyone that he could with only 4 offers made bar the ones they were obligated to.

Strapp and Tidser well worth a deal, just a big question mark over the other 2.

We know McHugh can perform at this level, and lots of talk that he has been carrying injuries, so maybe they hope if they clear we can get more out of him. Risk on a small squad/low budget when we might have got better.

Thomson still dining out on that purple patch at Dumbarton. Couple of OK games towards the end of the season but Duffy, McKinnon and JJ failed to get much out of him, surprised Hopkin thinks he can.

Unless, baring in mind Thomson's other gig, it's a cheap as chips part time deal and we thought we might as well.

So we have a first team squad of 9 if everyone signs, 10 if Pearson is promoted to the first team.

Has anyone seen Pearson play? He must be quite confident in being successful to have moved up here to start off in the reserves on a low wage.

That’s wild. With a reduced budget there’s obviously a chance that we could punt McHugh and end up with someone far worse in the vein of Kabba Modou-Cham, but as I see it the cuts are all the more reason not to waste a wage on players we know aren’t good enough, which McHugh and Thomson both clearly are.

Considering the Cham type risk you could maybe tolerate one of them being kept as cover, but keeping both saddles us with two attacking players who aren’t good enough.

I appreciate that the budget means we can afford an injury prone player even less, but at least keeping Johnstone instead of those two would give us a chance of getting a good Championship centre forward out of the deal. Taking the route we have here gives us next to none and if we’re signing one other centre forward, it leaves us just as dependent on the fitness of one player to not be utterly toothless up front again as were this season..

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It's a strong cull, binning almost everyone that he could with only 4 offers made bar the ones they were obligated to.

How do we know he binned them? May have made offers that were not accepted. If the budget is as low as expected maybe they decided not to accept on the spot.

That’s wild. With a reduced budget there’s obviously a chance that we could punt McHugh and end up with someone far worse in the vein of Kabba Modou-Cham, but as I see it the cuts are all the more reason not to waste a wage on players we know aren’t good enough, which McHugh and Thomson both clearly are.

Considering the Cham type risk you could maybe tolerate one of them being kept as cover along with Armour, but keeping both saddles us with two attacking players who aren’t good enough along with one who probably isn’t ready, going by Armour’s struggle to break into the Dumbarton team.

I appreciate that the budget means we can afford an injury prone player even less, but at least keeping Johnstone instead of those two would give us a chance of getting a good Championship centre forward out of the deal. Taking the route we have here gives us next to none and if we’re signing one other centre forward, it leaves us just as dependent on the fitness of one player to not be utterly toothless up front again as were this season..

Armour gone.

Yeah, it is possible with all, and probably likely with Johnstone and Telfer, that if Hopkin was intending to make an offer they took one look at the reduced wage, said no and that was that rather than the offer being left on the table for any period of time.

It’s who we’re keeping rather than who we’re losing that’s the big issue.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

A year ago I'd have been a bit irked about McHugh staying, but I actually though he had an alright season last time round. I'd be happy enough with him as our back-up striker (assuming his wage isn't too high...), but the idea of both him and Thompson staying is worrying. We're not going to get another striker that's so good that it makes up for what those two lack.

Actually, I suppose the issue really is Thompson staying. That wouldn't somehow be acceptable if McHugh was moving on.

AWMSC

10 goals in 61 appearances at Championship level is an abysmal record from McHugh, not least for a supposed ‘penalty box striker’ who offers very little off the ball. He should have been emptied alongside the rest of our forwards - offering a deal to two of those jobbers is a wild decision.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

How do we know he binned them? May have made offers that were not accepted. If the budget is as low as expected maybe they decided not to accept on the spot.

Because I am taking Hopkin as not being a fucking moron who wouldn't offer what you have described which would be an embarrassingly low offer worthy of on the spot refusal rather than a token 'will let you know' based on the fact he would know their current contract.

We don't know which were our decision and which were the players decision but I doubt very much it was because we insulted them with offers.

It's knicker wetting to think we will have the gall to bother putting an offer in front of someone on half wages or whatever would lead to instant refusal.

Unless they have other better offers already secured, the token 'will let you know' would likely apply because they don't know what else they can get.

Yes, some we might not have offered to because we didn't want to pay the going rate for them any more so binned them for budgetary reasons rather than footballing reasons but regardless, it doesn't matter how or why they went, the most important think is they have and none are worth crying over anyway.

Archived