The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 53 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wee bit surprised it’s only a year.

Same here but who knows if it's his decision or Ray's?

Either way, glad to have him back. We need a proper '9' now (not McHugh, please) and that will be a big step forward.

But that's the hardest position to fill. At the top level of football, specialized strikers are becoming rarer and rarer - generally coaches are now aiming at forwards who, Barcelona-style, can play all across a front line whether it's 1, 2, or 3 men. The likes of Lewandowski are arguably the last of their kind, and even then they are bred not to stand at the edge of the box but rather to contribute to every phase of play. As a consequence, the kind of forward trained at elite clubs who doesn't make it is likely to be one who has developed such skills but not enough, or (and this is the danger for clubs like ours) is a hard worker but never had the killer goalscoring instinct or couldn't develop the technical ability to match their brain. Long story short, regular goalscoring is a dying art at the low end of professional football because it's not being selected for in and of itself at the coaching centers that determine the make-up of the professional game.

So if Ray can find one, that's another point in his favor.

EOho8Pw.png

Guest mcintyre_gmfc93

What does the option mean in this context?

Maybe based on appearances or something? I've no idea.

Didn't know we paid money for Buchanan btw, read the article in today's paper and he says about the money Morton paid Livi for him.

Ray mentioning playing football on the deck which can only be help Oliver's game. Prob play a different formation too which hopefully suits his game more. 

Big fan of his. He is a good option to have in the squad, glad he is staying.

Maybe based on appearances or something? I've no idea.

Didn't know we paid money for Buchanan btw, read the article in today's paper and he says about the money Morton paid Livi for him.

Yeah, I'm interested if it's on our side or the player's. Or both.

Link to article?

EOho8Pw.png

Oliver has mentioned he likes the managers vision and the quality of player brought in is a different class...Uncle Jim won't be getting him an Xmas card.

Felt he was basically saying a lot of the guys he’s played with at the club have been shite :lol:

Having Oliver playing behind a striker is a good squad option; you'd have to think we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 or some variant next season, so there is a place for him. But he hasn't been consistent enough to build a team around and so we need a different option in that area of the park. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Having Oliver playing behind a striker is a good squad option; you'd have to think we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 or some variant next season, so there is a place for him. But he hasn't been consistent enough to build a team around and so we need a different option in that area of the park.

I’m sure Telfer can play that role as well?

Maybe not Denny, there was a good player in there but not an out and out goalscorer. He scored a few but mainly was a handful for defenders & made space for others. With a relatively small squad and a couple of unimpressive forwards still on the books I think the priority (if we can get one) is an out and out goal scorer.

Archived