Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Montrose (20th January) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Montrose (20th January)

I thought Jai was anonymous. Clearly nowhere near match fit. A fit Jai would have motored away from these defenders. Needs a bit longer to get fully fit by the look of it.

Was a bit of a sluggish performance but got the job done. The young subs looked lively and we looked more energetic. Wilson is pretty good but has a tendency to pass backwards which breaks up our attacking pressure. Not a great game to watch and prefer when we press higher.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Positives were progression of course, no injuries to key players (with some rested towards the end) and an hour for some players short of match fitness.

The performance was quite disjointed though when I think if we had started with a couple fewer changes, we'd have produced a really convincing performance and scoreline. When we got decent service into the final third we always looked threatening to score, but for large periods we didn't use the ball well or didn't win it back effectively. The clean sheet was fortuitous as even at 2-0 we seemed to be trying our best at times to convert a both teams to score coupon. 

Looking forward to the next round draw but we'll need to up our game significantly to get three points next week. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

29 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Gillespie motioned to the shed to relax as well in the first half.

I think this all came from frustration as montrose were competing well and making it difficult for us to get the ball forward. I so think we could have had a bit more urgency with the ball at tomes but we also need to be realistic that it won't go forward every time.

Personally i don't mind players giving some back if they're getting it from the fans. 

No one was getting it personally, it was a collective groan to passing the ball back. That said, I've moved positions in the shed and some of the shouts are wild. Complete lack of football knowledge for the most part. 

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

47 minutes ago, Hej said:

Either a minnow like Bonnyrigg or Ayr at home, or Hearts/Aberdeen away pleas. 

No way do I want to go to sheepshaggingland or the home of edinburgh rangers.

2 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Go about it the same way Gillespie did about 2 minutes prior, then. Its contempt in my eyes. There was little need for it

Bluesy does tend to get a bit'fired up' sometimes. I'd let it go.

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I think this all came from frustration as montrose were competing well and making it difficult for us to get the ball forward. 

Can't agree with this - we created about 5 good chances in ten minutes around the opening goal, so Montrose were really not set up to make it difficult. We made it difficult for ourselves by playing backward passes under no pressure with the opportunity to turn and drive forward (the issue that led to Blues' clash).

I'd have no issue with us keeping the ball to control the game at 1-0 but we didn't actually do that either.  After a few backward passes it inevitably went to O'Connor and a fairly aimless punt to Montrose. The team just played weirdly without  confidence in their own ability at times - perhaps it was just an off-day.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, Mr.Blue said:

If people are happy to dish it out then they should be prepared to take some back.

Depends what was dished out.  If its simply a few frustrated groans then being told to shut the fuck up is out of order.  I couldn't give a shit personally but a degree of professionalism still has to be shown.

• Upvote 2

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

26 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

If people are happy to dish it out then they should be prepared to take some back.

No one that I heard was dishing anything out. It was a collective groan at going back the way because Jai was offering nothing. He wasn't even facing the shed and turned round to say "shut the fuck up". 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

5 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

No way do I want to go to sheepshaggingland or the home of edinburgh rangers.

Bluesy does tend to get a bit'fired up' sometimes. I'd let it go.

Drew Busby was a former Hertz player.  I thought that would be right up your street.

*insert signature here*

I watched Sportscene this morning and was surprised to hear Steve Lovell's description of how Morton play.  He was tremendously complimentary about the constant attempt to play football, moving the ball and general enjoyment he got from watching us.  

• Upvote 1

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

22 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Dougie having a wee dig at an Eredivise superstar and Rob Rensenbrink prodigy 

Dougie said “it will hopefully shut a few people up”. At the time of my initial post on the subject, Dougie’s correct in saying there were several of us making the same point. I don’t know why but I ended up as the lone voice in support of our academy graduates. My most recent observation was that I applaud the fact that Dougie has turned that policy around for whatever reason. His statement backs that up 100%. 

• Downvote 10