The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24 - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24

Toby

1 hour ago, Madton said:

There's still over 1100 Sinclair St tickets left, will be doing very well if we shift even half of them.

I agree. I know that a fair number of Hearts fans (Jambos forum) were disappointed to have missed out on an away ticket - they sold out their allocation in a matter of days. Might be worthwhile punting another 500 up to Tynecastle and putting additional segregation in place - if that's possible even. It's all money in the bank.

Edited by SassenachTon

I have a sneaky feeling Oakley will make this (maybe it’s just desperation). Good to see decent ticket sales and no doubt there will be a few more Sinclair St tickets punted before kick-off. 

47 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

I agree. I know that a fair number of Hearts fans (Jambos forum) were disappointed to have missed out on an away ticket - they sold out their allocation in a matter of days. Might be worthwhile punting another 500 up to Tynecastle and putting additional segregation in place - if that's possible even. It's all money in the bank.

Hard pass.

There's no way they are putting an away section in the Sinclair St end, nor should they.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Just watched Dougie's press conference on YouTube he said that other than Kirk Broadfoot there's no change from Saturday 

Still hope he’s bluffing but if Oakley doesn’t make it the team pretty much picks itself.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

22 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Still hope he’s bluffing but if Oakley doesn’t make it the team pretty much picks itself.

The team pretty much picks itself if Oakley is fit too...

There are plenty of questions about the XI if Oakley isn't fit, and we've explicitly been told by the manager there's no chance. He is not making it.

In his absence over the last three games Imrie has switched between Quitongo and Muirhead up front, so there's the obvious first debate. We've gone with natural width with Garrity & McGrattan starting once and persisted with Muirhead and Blues out wide in the other two - which had Millen screaming "too narrow" at the pair of them for most of the first half v Dundee United - while there's also a debate about whether we'd rather have Blues or Gillespie beside Power. Broadfoot is also fit again with O'Connor having had two dreadful performances in a row so it's possible you could see a change there, while we even switched to a back three with Broadfoot coming on against Inverness.

The team is a long way away from picking itself, there are five or six variations of personnel or formation that wouldn't be a surprise.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If the injuries are still an issue I can see Imrie being tempted with a more defensive 4-2-4 type setup. It's not as if either of our last two forward combinations have worked very well anyway.

Gillespie and Power holding, Blues wide right, Muirhead wide left, Quitongo and Crawford pressing through the middle.

I wonder, especially after the change of formation against Inverness if we could see the 3/5 at the back return. 

Mullen/Jammers

French Baird O'Connor Broadfoot Strapp

Power Blues

Crawford

Muirhead Quitongo

Allows us some width with the full backs whilst also shutting up shop in the middle. With the option of bringing folk off the bench to change the formation if necessary. Wouldn't mind seeing Oakley and Jai together in a side like that.

2 hours ago, ChampTon said:

I wonder, especially after the change of formation against Inverness if we could see the 3/5 at the back return. 

Mullen/Jammers

French Baird O'Connor Broadfoot Strapp

Power Blues

Crawford

Muirhead Quitongo

Allows us some width with the full backs whilst also shutting up shop in the middle. With the option of bringing folk off the bench to change the formation if necessary. Wouldn't mind seeing Oakley and Jai together in a side like that.

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dougie is tempted to go with a line-up like that. So much of our great form, and the win over Motherwell, has had its foundations in not giving the opposition time or space to play. Without Oakley leading the line, that makes everyone's else's job much more difficult. Muirhead is a good player but isn't that guy, and Quitongo got nothing out of balls played up to him on Tuesday (although I'm not sure how match fit he was after his illness). There isn't really an obvious alternative to Oakley up there to underpin the intensity at which we want to play. 

It would be a risk to change to the back 5 but I can understand the temptation. In any case, if Oakley can play I think the only real question is whether Broadfoot comes in for O'Connor. Otherwise there are a few decisions for Dougie to make.

33 minutes ago, Scott said:

Where were the team training today in the video posted on Twitter/Facebook? 

Inverclyde Sport Centre in Largs. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Listening to George on Radio Scotland this morning and Dougie’s preview, I’m getting the impression we might see a surprise appearance tonight. Maybe not in the starting line up but more likely on the bench. I may be wrong, but both seemed to be denying George would be fit without ruling him out. Mind games. Wee wager on first scorer maybe? Must be huge odds available…

• Upvote 1

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Strapp should be ok for tonight. The rules allow three bookings before a suspension if a team has entered at round 3.

Unless there’s a rule that you have to have been signed by round three.

Fingers crossed 

Edited by standman

Let's rock !