Squad for next Season - Page 83 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Waters is a downgrade on Strapp IMO and is not the answer if we have serious ambition to compete in the promotion play-offs. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Waters is a downgrade on Strapp IMO and is not the answer if we have serious ambition to compete in the promotion play-offs. 

Unless it's a matter of cost control, or Strapp himself is desperate to leave (which impression I don't get from the statements made), why would we want to downgrade?  Based on Strapp's performances over the last few seasons, I think we would find it hard to upgrade.  I don't have any problem with Waters as he seems to have done OK for us, but Strapp is a big loss to us and I am astonished at Dougie's attitude.  I think if Lewis can get a gig that pays significantly more, then yes, he would be daft not to take it, but to just tell him he's not wanted at Morton for footballing reasons seems ridiculous.

Someone mentioned Tumilty further up this thread - I notice he was at left back on Tuesday.  I wouldn't be averse to having him back if he can play LB and he certainly seemed to like pushing forward.  I know many don't have any time for him due IIRC to remarks he made when he left, but it's a different Morton now with proper management. worth considering IMHO if Strapp doesn't end up staying.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Unless it's a matter of cost control, or Strapp himself is desperate to leave (which impression I don't get from the statements made), why would we want to downgrade?  Based on Strapp's performances over the last few seasons, I think we would find it hard to upgrade.  I don't have any problem with Waters as he seems to have done OK for us, but Strapp is a big loss to us and I am astonished at Dougie's attitude.  I think if Lewis can get a gig that pays significantly more, then yes, he would be daft not to take it, but to just tell him he's not wanted at Morton for footballing reasons seems ridiculous.

Someone mentioned Tumilty further up this thread - I notice he was at left back on Tuesday.  I wouldn't be averse to having him back if he can play LB and he certainly seemed to like pushing forward.  I know many don't have any time for him due IIRC to remarks he made when he left, but it's a different Morton now with proper management. worth considering IMHO if Strapp doesn't end up staying.

Tumilty is a weapon of a boy and his comments about the club after leaving shouldn't be forgotten.

I find it a bit stomach churning that Dougie would tell our captain and possibly best player that he’s got no future at Morton, while he’s trying to recover from a long term injury. Imrie has a very good ratio in improving players who were unpopular with the fans, plus his new signings. I wonder if he has something against popular home grown players such as Strapp, McGrattan, McGregor, Lyon etc. If so I’m not sure why this would be the case. 

• Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I find it a bit stomach churning that Dougie would tell our captain and possibly best player that he’s got no future at Morton, while he’s trying to recover from a long term injury. Imrie has a very good ratio in improving players who were unpopular with the fans, plus his new signings. I wonder if he has something against popular home grown players such as Strapp, McGrattan, McGregor, Lyon etc. If so I’m not sure why this would be the case. 

Don't think Strapp was the captain, McGregor probably isn't good enough and more than one manager hasn't fancied Lyon in the team which suggests he's not doing what's asked of him. 

McGratten is a strange one but I think it's safe to say that's in isolation as Strapp mostly got a game when fit.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, Alibi said:

Be careful what you wish for.

I mentioned this a good while back and got my nuts shot off for having the temerity to even suggest such a thing.

• Downvote 2

It's all guesswork but I think there's a more straightforward scenario at play for Strapp. i.e. he's initially refused to sign a deal in the hope of weighing up offers over the summer, Imrie hasn't been keen on playing that game and has taken the deal off the table. 

Also, McGrattan has made about 30 appearances for us this season (noted he probably should have had more starts) and Reghan Tumilty is a bombscare.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Be careful what you wish for.

I mentioned this a good while back and got my nuts shot off for having the temerity to even suggest such a thing.

You moronically insinuated we should have waited and signed Tumilty - a right back - instead of Waters - a left back - to replace Strapp - a left back.

Any shooting down was completely justified.

Totally agree about Tumilty. He's a good player at this level and u wouldn't be surprised if Dougie is interested.

O'Ware I'd be surprised at though. Haven't really heard much about him over the past few years but I'm happy to back Dougie and his judgement.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

33 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Totally agree about Tumilty. He's a good player at this level and u wouldn't be surprised if Dougie is interested.

O'Ware I'd be surprised at though. Haven't really heard much about him over the past few years but I'm happy to back Dougie and his judgement.

Aye, Tumilty is good going forward and decent enough defending so wouldn't be against him. 

O'Ware is an interesting one. Always thought he was really good if there was someone next to him talking him through the game but maybe with experience he's a bit better in that respect. Would take Baird and O'Connor over him but wouldn't be against him as a squad player. Maybe Broadfoot might be considered again to give a bit of experience and cover at CB and RB (wouldn't be my choice but he was OK in this league the last couple of years and would be within our budget so assume he'd be on the radar). 

Edited by irnbru

15 hours ago, Toby said:

If my memory serves me correctly, you suggested bringing him in in January-a point when we had the best right back in the division.

Grimshaw’s unlikely to be here next season, and at the point you suggested bringing in Tumilty, had already extended his stay until the end of this season, so the circumstances of your suggestion and Alibi’s vary greatly. Don’t let silly things like that get in the way of your whining about being rightly shut down for a foolish suggestion, though.

... and dont let the fact you're a pedantic prick get in the way of you whining like a pedantic prick.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, so72 said:

I wonder if the St Johnstone job would tempt Dougie. If they have any sense, they'd be looking at him.

That doesn’t seem a good fit to me, the Saintee’s always seemed too sensible and non-controversial but have maybe moved away from that by sacking a manager who won 3 trophies in two seasons. If they want the opposite of Callum then Dougie’s as close to that as anyone!