Squad for next Season - Page 78 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Excellent signing a real playmaker who can unlocks defences for us I don't think we have a player like him in the squad and he is a proven quality at this level.

Another shrewd signing again by Imrie his track record of signings so far has been tremendous and clearly players actually improve under him which makes it even more appealing for players to come to us now. If we have tired to sign a player like Ali a few years ago he wouldn't have touched us with a barge poll. Shows how far we have come. 

1 minute ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Excellent signing a real playmaker who can unlocks defences for us I don't think we have a player like him in the squad and he is a proven quality at this level.

Another shrewd signing again by Imrie his track record of signings so far has been tremendous and clearly players actually improve under him which makes it even more appealing for players to come to us now. If we have tired to sign a player like Ali a few years ago he wouldn't have touched us with a barge poll. Shows how far we have come. 

Aye, it's a signing that compliments the squad. We've got a lot of options now in every position to play in different ways. If we make the playoffs we should go in with confidence. 

Very interesting signing. Always thought he was a cut above when he was Hamilton. Haven't seen him play since then. Gives us lots of options now for the 3 in the middle. You think it'd be akimbo Crawford +1? Has Gillespie falling out of favour with Dougie? Good headache to have. 

9 minutes ago, irnbru said:

If we make the playoffs we should go in with confidence. 

And you just know Dougie won't be happy with anything less than winning them.

Take nothing away from the achievement of last time we made them but there did seem to be a sense that just making them was the achievement and that we were lucky to be there rather than gunning to compete in them. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

And you just know Dougie won't be happy with anything less than winning them.

Take nothing away from the achievement of last time we made them but there did seem to be a sense that just making them was the achievement and that we were lucky to be there rather than gunning to compete in them. 

Aye, played dundee united and felt like an end of season game more than a playoff. 

Cove have signed Michael ohalloran so will be the battle of the St Johnstone outcasts tomorrow possibly. Crawford hat trick will do. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

28 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Cove have signed Michael ohalloran so will be the battle of the St Johnstone outcasts tomorrow possibly. Crawford hat trick will do. 

The guy who was with rangers a.few years ago?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Liam Fox sacked by Dundee United. Each time another Premier league job comes up I worry a little bit more than someone will come sniffing about Dougie. I know its inevitable but still...

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Liam Fox sacked by Dundee United. Each time another Premier league job comes up I worry a little bit more than someone will come sniffing about Dougie. I know its inevitable but still...

I can’t see him being interested in that. Dundee Utd are a shambles on and off the pitch… represented by a shitebag squad of players who have downed tools for 2 managers in 7 months. 
He will inevitably leave us, but don’t think so for Dundee Utd. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Aye, I have to say I had a wee pang of concern when I seen that news too. I just can’t imagine Dougie leaving at this juncture tbf, even in purely selfish terms for him it would be a huge risk to take on such a tough job so late in the season, but I reckon we might see his name in the mix for the it more than any other so far. 

AWMSC

I think (hope) Dougie himself will have the self-awareness to know that, despite his hugely impressive start in management, he's still learning his trade, and taking on a struggling Premiership club would a massive risk at this very early stage of his managerial career. We'll lose him one day, but hopefully not for a wee while yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I can’t see him being interested in that. Dundee Utd are a shambles on and off the pitch… represented by a shitebag squad of players who have downed tools for 2 managers in 7 months. 

The alternative is it's the exact scenario he'd relish - come into a club with low morale and turn it around. 

That said, if I was Dougie I'd take Morton as far as I can and hold out for a job in England's lower leagues. 

EOho8Pw.png

I don’t think (and I hope I’m right) that we’ll be losing Dougie any time soon. I’ve said it before in other posts - he’s come here with a determined, long-term battle plan which involved keeping us up last year, and making us a Premiership side this year. Once he achieves those two goals, my feeling is that the nature of the man is such that achieving those two will trigger a whole raft of new ones, which will involve him remaining with Morton until he’s achieved those, too. He’s clearly very happy here, plus he just doesn’t come across as someone who’s ever going to bounce from club to club chasing the short-term £££ - I think he’s got way more character and depth than that. I also look upon him as very much a ‘the sky’s the limit’ thinker. Who knows? Maybe the late TaunTon’s dream of European competition will one day become a reality. I also feel that deep down, he’ll always remember that it was Morton who gave him his entry into first-team management, and rightly or wrongly - I believe that loyalty will have its part to play.

Whilst I know that he has a family to feed and must put his own personal situation first, I’d also very much hope that an injection of Premiership money would also enable the club to pay him whatever it takes to keep him here. The additional benefits of the return of lapsed supporters, plus the increased gate revenue from larger travelling support also cannot be underestimated.

And finally - I think that the club’s astute financial management (debt free etc.) coupled with the Dalrada support places Morton in a totally different position to many other Championship teams who would likely have no choice other than to let go of such a crucial asset, simply because they’re on their financial arse. 

Edited by SassenachTon
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

I don’t think (and I hope I’m right) that we’ll be losing Dougie any time soon. I’ve said it before in other posts - he’s come here with a determined, long-term battle plan which involved keeping us up last year, and making us a Premiership side this year. Once he achieves those two goals, my feeling is that the nature of the man is such that achieving those two will trigger a whole raft of new ones, which will involve him remaining with Morton until he’s achieved those, too. He’s clearly very happy here, plus he just doesn’t come across as someone who’s ever going to bounce from club to club chasing the short-term £££ - I think he’s got way more character and depth than that. I also look upon him as very much a ‘the sky’s the limit’ thinker. Who knows? Maybe the late TaunTon’s dream of European competition will one day become a reality. I also feel that deep down, he’ll always remember that it was Morton who gave him his entry into first-team management, and rightly or wrongly - I believe that loyalty will have its part to play.

Whilst I know that he has a family to feed and must put his own personal situation first, I’d also very much hope that an injection of Premiership money would also enable the club to pay him whatever it takes to keep him here. The additional benefits of the return of lapsed supporters, plus the increased gate revenue from larger travelling support also cannot be underestimated.

And finally - I think that the club’s astute financial management (debt free etc.) coupled with the Dalrada support places Morton in a totally different position to many other Championship teams who would likely have no choice other than to let go of such a crucial asset, simply because they’re on their financial arse. 

I would love you to be right but Dougie is, and rightly so, ambitious. His ambitions will exceed the realms of what is possible for Morton.

I don't see him taking the Utd job just now however a club of their size is probably his next logical step.  

If we continue to improve then we can dream of a run like Livingston or, previously, Hamilton in the premisrship. However, it would be a big risk for Dougie to hedge his bets on that and not cash in when his stock is high. 

20 hours ago, Scott said:

Could say the same about us when he took over.

• Upvote 2

Jim McInally has been installed as a 12/1 dark horse to return to the club where he bottled a Scottish Cup final to that rancid outfit up the road. This is not a drill people.

Imrie not listed among the runners and riders so far, long may that continue. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are