Squad for next Season - Page 127 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

33 minutes ago, HamCam said:

He’s clearly a talented player but seems another of those who are weighed down with the tag of being expected to score goals. If Dougie can somehow persuade him that his excellent link-up play is a valuable asset to the team, then he could bring others into positions to score off his lay-offs. As a bonus he might just start scoring goals as a consequence of that expectation being taken off him.

• Downvote 1

He's not a player I'd be overly keen on. For all mitigation can be offered given the manager and the general state of the club at the time, McPake couldn't get out of here quick enough during his first spell. 

Looking at the options within the squad, we already have Quitongo, McGrattan, Boyd, Bearne and Muirhead capable of playing wide. The idea of adding a 6th option to that list, who has yet to show they can have a meaningful and consistent impact at Chamionship level, doesn't strike me as a good use of a limited budget. One goal every nine games for an attack-minded Queens Park side isn't exactly an inspiring track record. 

• Upvote 2

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Bring the boy in and have a look. IF he is better than what we have then its a no brainer but I wouldn't want him brought in at the expense of mcgrattan, jai or the emerging Bearne. I know boyd isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he adds something to the squad as well. 

Dougie was very active in the January window and I'd very surprised of we didn't do some business again. McPake may be the start of this.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 hours ago, Scott said:

What disciplinary issues were there last time he was with us? 
All I can remember about him is that he was expected to be decent and turned out below average. 

Don’t believe these are specific to his time at Morton. The article links to another one that says he was fined due to an unspecified off-field issue while at QP.

Not a particularly exciting prospect bringing him in, but a trial is a ‘free hit’ I suppose. If it pans out and he helps us off the foot of the table it would be fine, but doesn’t seem like a squad priority given Quitongo is back and Bearne may be showing a bit more of himself. A left back is probably the most pressing position to address.

In our position I can see the temptation to just look for any player possible who might be an upgrade. Any improvement in any area of the park could be the difference between 8th & 10th, but I'd agree with being wary about adding another winger/number 10 type when it's the area we least need bodies and the potential signing has major question marks about ever having been good enough for this level. If you're getting someone with the pedigree to be an upgrade that's a different matter, but even at that look how well a player with a bigger reputation in Ali Crawford worked out last season.

We'll definitely need to be adding more to the defence, with French almost certain to go back to Dundee. One of the big concerns is holding onto Wilson as well, we can't afford to lose him so we should probably hope for an upturn in Queen of the South's results so Bartley keeps his job, rather than risking a new manager there wanting him back.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I would personally like to see Wilson signed up permanently. His loan deal is up in Jan I think? And his actual contract wihh QOS expires in May. He is versitile able to play a number of positions and has been one of if not the best players for us the past couple of weeks for me it's a no brainer, okay he took a while to get up to fitness but now we are seeing what he can do. 

IIRC when Wilson was here the first time he looked a carthorse but once he got up to match fitness he was far better.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

4 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I would personally like to see Wilson signed up permanently. His loan deal is up in Jan I think? And his actual contract wihh QOS expires in May. He is versitile able to play a number of positions and has been one of if not the best players for us the past couple of weeks for me it's a no brainer, okay he took a while to get up to fitness but now we are seeing what he can do. 

It's all finance dependent but I agree in principle. We're not troubling the promotion spots anytime soon; in the current squad he's a good player.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Is his loan deal not till the end of the season?

Every club can recall players in January if they want, regardless of how long the loan was agreed for.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Every club can recall players in January if they want, regardless of how long the loan was agreed for.

Given that Wilson was allowed to play against Bo’ness though, I doubt Queen of the South have any plans to recall him.

15 minutes ago, Toby said:

Given that Wilson was allowed to play against Bo’ness though, I doubt Queen of the South have any plans to recall him.

Yeah, main reason to hope Bartley keeps his job and a new manager doesn't have any other ideas.

Looking at our own loanee, Garrity scored against Hamilton last night. That's now 3 goals in his last 5 appearances/4 starts.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

42 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Looking at our own loanee, Garrity scored against Hamilton last night. That's now 3 goals in his last 5 appearances/4 starts.

Absolutely shocking that we loan out our talented young players to get valuable game experience. Imrie obviously hates him, there can be no other possible explanation.

• Upvote 1

Purely from a team perspective it's an extremely handy signing for next couple of months at least. 

From a massive red flag perspective, I'm sure it was an extremely tough negotiation between our new chairman and his agent to get him in the shop window until the end of the transfer window. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif