Commercial Activity - Page 99 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

I think money and people struggling has a lot to do with. Prices these days are crazy for everything and £22 most Saturdays without factoring in the cost of fuel or food a pint etc is a lot to ask people to shell out. 

However if we can't attract more people when we are now 16 games unbeaten and the most positive atmosphere around cappielow in probably about twenty years then its only going to get worse just over 2000 at a home game is about the standard and unless there is a good away support I can't see that changing. 

• Upvote 2

I think one of the factors is due to Inverclyde being a deprived area. We used to offer concessions for people who are unemployed, or on disability allowance. The way I see it, the more people we encourage - the more money in the club’s pocket.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RealTonKid said:

I think one of the factors is due to Inverclyde being a deprived area.  

So is Kirkcaldy though, and it's obviously not having a huge impact on Raith.

Inverclyde has been relatively deprived as long as I can remember, even when we were pulling in decent crowds in the late 70s/early80s and early 2000s. I think a bigger factor is depopulation. The current population of Inverclyde is around 75000, whereas 30 years ago it was over 100000. That's a huge reduction in the potential fanbase..

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Inverclyde has been relatively deprived as long as I can remember, even when we were pulling in decent crowds in the late 70s/early80s and early 2000s. I think a bigger factor is depopulation. The current population of Inverclyde is around 75000, whereas 30 years ago it was over 100000. That's a huge reduction in the potential fanbase..

Combination of lower local population to work from, less disposable income in the pockets of that population and change in work patterns over the years. Plus being largely shite for the majority of that, hardly getting a sniff of top tier football in all that time.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

4 hours ago, RealTonKid said:

I think one of the factors is due to Inverclyde being a deprived area. We used to offer concessions for people who are unemployed, or on disability allowance. The way I see it, the more people we encourage - the more money in the club’s pocket.

I think even if we made every adult a tenner and every kid free on Sat like Raith did last night,  we'd still struggle to get more than a few hundred extra.

When I think of 3500 home fans against Motherwell and then around 1800 against Airdire,   I struggle to think of a reason why 1700 never came on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Kirkcaldy has had a lot of new housing and benefits from being within commuting territory for Edinburgh.  It is still a pigsty but one where the local football team have had success in increasing their fanbase.

3 hours ago, Madton said:

I think even if we made every adult a tenner and every kid free on Sat like Raith did last night,  we'd still struggle to get more than a few hundred extra.

When I think of 3500 home fans against Motherwell and then around 1800 against Airdire,   I struggle to think of a reason why 1700 never came on Saturday.

I was working, that accounts for one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Scott said:

Did anyone on here go to the night with Oakley & Imrie? If so how was it? 

Brilliant night. Really enjoyed it. Dougie his usual candid self. Think big George was in shock a lot of the time with Tam Cowans questions and patter.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Anyone else going to the Q&A tomorrow night at the Morton Club? I have to admit, I find it odd that questions need to be submitted in advance of the evening, and that they wont be opening up for Q&A on the night. The cynic in me sees that as a way to filter questions that they don't want to answer, but alas I've submitted a questions via the link they provided on the email anyway.

53 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Anyone else going to the Q&A tomorrow night at the Morton Club? I have to admit, I find it odd that questions need to be submitted in advance of the evening, and that they wont be opening up for Q&A on the night. The cynic in me sees that as a way to filter questions that they don't want to answer, but alas I've submitted a questions via the link they provided on the email anyway.

Likewise,  raised the stewarding issues

1 hour ago, Deego said:

It could be. Might be.

Might also be a way to:

- answer common themes of questions

- keep a nice running order of those themes (rather than bouncing around subjects)

- keep the session timely while getting through all the questions

- allow the panel to construct their answers properly (hopefully not in a politician-type way, but answering questions properly without the pressure of thinking off the top of their head in front of a live crowd)

- avoid the inevitable, awkward scenario of people not being particularly articulate with their questions

There’s pros to opening it up for questions on the night as well but given the above I’m not being totally cynical about their decision.

All very fair points, and I do agree with you. I think asking for questions in advance, and leaving a little time for Q&A at the end, is probably the happy medium for events like this. 

• Upvote 2