Club statement- Gambling on football - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club statement- Gambling on football

pink_panther

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve obviously seen the chance to get a relatively high earner off the wage bill and took it.

I think there’s a bit more to it than that, given that he’d already been disciplined by the SFA. I’m not sure how much a kit man could influence the match result, but the possibility of anyone employed by a club, benefitting financially from the club’s failure to secure the desired result, simply has to be let go. I completely disagree with sacking him by letter though, sounds a bit cowardly and unprofessional from the club, which can’t be excused by the fact Andy Bryan’ s behaviour was also unprofessional.

You could certainly argue that it’s disrespectful to inform Bryan by letter but to call it ‘cowardly’ is far fetched. I doubt anyone at the club was shiting themselves at the fucking kit man kicking off in their presence: Jim McLean or Duncan Ferguson he is not. It seems that he has become persona non grata at Cappielow in recent weeks so they simply didn’t bother with a pointless summons.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

You could certainly argue that it’s disrespectful to inform Bryan by letter but to call it ‘cowardly’ is far fetched. I doubt anyone at the club was shiting themselves at the fucking kit man kicking off in their presence: Jim McLean or Duncan Ferguson he is not. It seems that he has become persona non grata at Cappielow in recent weeks so they simply didn’t bother with a pointless summons.

A letter sets out their exact decision too. A meeting can leave things open to interpretation so they might have been advised not to speak to him since he's already said he was considering legal action.

We’ve obviously seen the chance to get a relatively high earner off the wage bill and took it.

Alternatively, a member of the ancillary staff at a club which has been embroiled in a couple of (alleged) betting scandals in recent times has been flagrantly flouting the league's rules and, more seriously, been found to have been betting against the team winning.

There's nothing at all unreasonable about the decision to sack him, regardless of much he was paid; I doubt many clubs would keep somebody on in those circumstances.

AWMSC

It’s surely a bit of both: he didn’t have a leg to stand on based on the charges (and burned any remaining bridges at the club by flapping his trap on social media while suspended), but the fact that he was a paid employee rather than a volunteer gave the club an added incentive to get shot, for professional as well as financial reasons.

People can rightly point out that betting has been commonplace at this level of the game but given that only this club has been embroiled in two serious betting scandal events in recent history it should be cracking down hard on the practice, regardless of the SFA placing greater scrutiny on the issue in the past few years.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It’s surely a bit of both: he didn’t have a leg to stand on based on the charges (and burned any remaining bridges at the club by flapping his trap on social media while suspended), but the fact that he was a paid employee rather than a volunteer gave the club an added incentive to get shot, for professional as well as financial reasons.

People can rightly point out that betting has been commonplace at this level of the game but given that only this club has been embroiled in two serious betting scandal events in recent history it should be cracking down hard on the practice, regardless of the SFA placing greater scrutiny on the issue in the past few years.

I don't doubt the club will be pleased enough to have what seems to be an overly-high wage off their books, but I'd say that the (again, allegedly) high salary (and testimonial) is an issue in another way: Bryan has evidently been well treated over the years, therefore the club is entitled to feel aggrieved when he's shown such little regard for it. If you've had your wage "doubled" and been given a testimonial for a backroom job that is, ultimately, easily replaced, then I think your employer is within its rights to expect a certain level of conduct.

AWMSC

Well, I’d say the actual gambling was probably the bigger reason

I’m not so sure you’re right, there. The gambling is the official reason he lost his job, but the social media posting could well be what pushed him over the edge.

The story about him would’ve died down eventually, but if he was to keep posting shite on Facebook or Twitter about things that shouldn’t be in the public (remember him bumping his gums about Duffy and Neil Lennon?) then it might be little surprise that the club have had enough.

Most major employers have a social media policy nowadays- RayVon works for Golden Casket so effectively has (had) the same employers as Andy and will be aware of their stance on such matters. He might be in a better position to judge that than you or I.

I’m not so sure you’re right, there. The gambling is the official reason he lost his job, but the social media posting could well be what pushed him over the edge.

The story about him would’ve died down eventually, but if he was to keep posting shite on Facebook or Twitter about things that shouldn’t be in the public (remember him bumping his gums about Duffy and Neil Lennon?) then it might be little surprise that the club have had enough.

Most major employers have a social media policy nowadays- RayVon works for Golden Casket so effectively has (had) the same employers as Andy and will be aware of their stance on such matters. He might be in a better position to judge that than you or I.

Agree. His total lack of appreciation that any offence reflects on the club and his compounding it with crass stupidity on social media sealed his fate. I almost get the feeling that he thought he was important.

Basically he falls into the too stupid to employ category.

Agree. His total lack of appreciation that any offence reflects on the club and his compounding it with crass stupidity on social media sealed his fate. I almost get the feeling that he thought he was important.

Basically he falls into the too stupid to employ category.

He was in the dugout often enough talking to the manager during games. What could he possibly be talking about that was important enough to distract the manager during game time?

*insert signature here*

Someone has set up a change.org petition to get him re-instated.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

That's tragic.

Anyway, since when did Crawfordjag and his bus wanker mate ever listen to the Morton supporter?

ETA: What is even more tragic than someone setting up this petition in the first place is some of the comments left on the actual petition page - from complete moon units like Pat Gillan and also someone called Pope hanger. It's safe to say that Crawfordjag won't give one iota of a fuck for this. He might get a laugh out of it though.

*insert signature here*

We really have some moon howlers among the Facebook contingent. Andy Bryan deserved the sack and since he was happy enough to go to the papers while on suspension and run his mouth on social media I don't think he can have any complaints about whether his sacking came via post, text message or face to face. He clearly made a good wedge out of the club don't know what they're supposed to owe him for his conduct.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Jesus H Christ!

Bryan had a good thing and fucked it up. We all make mistakes but his posting on social media and giving it laldy was totally his own doing and he had previous for it. Deserved everything he got.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I see the Tele has an article with Joe Harper pissing and moaning about how an employee found betting against the club "hasn't damaged it" (ignoring that the club has been involved in not one but two betting scandals in recent times), with the details of a petition at the bottom; there's also an editorial lauding Bryan's "dignified silence" and suggesting we'd all love to hear his thoughts. 

Of all the shite going on at the club, is this really the thing that people are going to make a scene about? Some people are getting exactly the shambles they deserve.

AWMSC

Archived