Ayr v Morton - Saturday 3rd August - Match Thread - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ayr v Morton - Saturday 3rd August - Match Thread

Chesh

Siri, how do I cancel a direct debit?

Ffs Morton. Lyon and Millar are far superior to the likes of Cameron Blues. Wtf is Hopkin doing? I am not minded to go to Easter Road on the 17th if this is our strategy. Thankfully in Italy next weekend. WTF?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We came close on precisely zero occasions when the game was still a contest; whatever they let us do after the game was in the bag is totally fucking irrelevant.

When Ayr went 2-0 up we were yet to record a credible shot on target.

I'm not sure what point you thought I was making, but yes, I agree with that.

I was saying that by the logic that we were a wee bit unlucky not to score 3 that they could've scored 8. 8-3 is obviously a bit ridiculous, but I was trying to say it was a ridiculous game that we were never really in despite a couple of goals and some other chances (Ayr winning by five wouldn't have been unkind to our performance).

(I thought the header off the line was at one nil but evidently I remembered incorrectly and it was at two)

We were hopeless and highlights the needs for two new full backs and 1 more centre back seeing as both grant and McLean have both had to go off with muscle injuries in recent games.

I don't believe Ramsbottom made any real errors with the goals today and is perhaps being scape goated a little.

What we do need an explanation for is the absolute shambolic starting formation with muirhead being deployed at lwb and Mcalister playing CM over Miller and Lyon to start and thats before the baffiling decision to play blues once we were forced out of starting formation.

Once mcalister got put to LB at the start of the second half we looked a little better before losing yet another shambles of a goal from a throw in, for some reason once we went 3 down (courteous of Van Shaiks woeful headed clearece straight to an aye forward) we seemed to switch on and had a 10-15 minute period were we could have scored 3 goals but only managed 2 before being unable to so anything in the last 8 minutes trouble the aye goal.

The 4th goal is just laughable, a goal kick somehow ends with a 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper who blocks outside his box? and then gets lobbed I have no clue what McLean and Van Shaik were hoping would happen by letting the ball bounce and not attacking it.

Shambles, but only the first league game, hopefully hoppy has what it takes to bring in a few new bodies this week and promptly drops those not good enough from the starting 11 namely Van shaik and McAlister (unless being played at cb over said Van Shaik).

Waste of a trip and the torrential rain and thunder at full time was the cherry on top.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

I don't believe Ramsbottom made any real errors with the goals today and is perhaps being scape goated a little..

lol wut

Explain then please how the second Ayr goal happened without ‘Ramsbottom volleyball palming a shot off the post for a corner’ forming a major part of it.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I was saying that by the logic that we were a wee bit unlucky not to score 3 that they could've scored 8. 8-3 is obviously a bit ridiculous, but I was trying to say it was a ridiculous game that we were never really in despite a couple of goals and some other chances (Ayr winning by five wouldn't have been unkind to our performance).

^^^ word salad

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Some of our attacking movement is actually quite good. And Cadden took his goal extremely well.

But if we play like we did at the third and fourth goal even half the weeks of this season, we're going to lose consistently. Van Schaik at the fourth goal ought to be absolutely fucking ashamed as "professional" footballer. I haven't seen such gutless off-the-ball movement since Jonathan Page.

With the MCT cash it's now up to Hopkin and the club to find and secure this season's Gavin Gunning, otherwise we're in for a very poor time of it.

I don't believe that, in terms of raw numbers, we're that far away from a competitive XI. Guys like Cadden and Nesbitt can see us through nicely. But in terms of quality at the back, we're absolutely miles away, and that can only be fixed in the transfer market.

EOho8Pw.png

lol wut

Explain then please how the second Ayr goal happened without ‘Ramsbottom volleyball palming a shot off the post for a corner’ forming a major part of it.

Right okay if we going by that logic then we should blame a misplaced pass which gave away the free kick that resulted in the corner.

Once the corner is taken its poor defending that causes the throw in, then we dont pick up the runner then from the throw in, then the shot deflects into the path of Moffat who squares to the striker for the tap in.

But sure it's the keepers fault for knocking away a header across goal 90 seconds before that was the major issue.

I know the goalkeeper isn't rated by anyone in but blaming him for the 2nd goal is not on.

Usually I agree with things you say but I'm not having that.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

That was fucking grim. Defensively we are a mess. Ayr could have had 6/7 easily.

Ramsbottom did nothing wrong imo. There were worst culprits all over the park. Hopkin got the team selection wrong too.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I am genuinely absolutely seething to see Hopkin talking about luck in his post-match comments, made worse by saying he was proud of the players’ attitude.The sheer brass neck of putting that performance down to luck and then going straight into McInally ‘can’t fault the boys for effort’ territory.

An injury prone defender getting injured isn’t bad luck, it’s predictable. If he ‘can’t believe’ that we lost Peter Grant to injury then he knows nothing about Grant’s career. He was always going to miss games through injury, it’s still valid to sign a player like that if you think you’ll get quality performances out of him when he is fit, but you have to balance that with building a good enough defence all round to cope without him when he inevitably gets injured. We were of course already defensively hopeless before he went off too.

The defence being a threadbare rabble who could easily have lost more goals isn’t the result of luck, it’s the consequence of dreadful recruitment.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The first goal. How high up the park tumilty is and also how much a fish out of water Muirhead looks, allied to van Shaik and a pathetic attempt to challenge for the ball.

The 3rd goal, that header from von Shaik.

The 4th he is caught ridiculously under the ball.

He is clearly so far below the standard required based on that showing.

We just looked a general shambles defensively.

Also Muirhead looked like a bit of a cart horse up front to be honest.

Blues adds absolutely no value to our squad based on that. I was prepared to give him a chance but, not to sound like a broken record, we have Millar and Lyon who are more than adequate already.

Can't see anything wrong with Ramsbottom's performance in those highlights. Our defence however looks rank rotten. And Ayr looked far faster.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

From the highlights, Ramsbottom is still palming shots away, but not sure what he could have done for the goals.

The first is poor marking, the second he goes to his near post to try to block the cross since no other bugger has done it (nor does anyone mark the scorer) and for the third he may have given the corner but the defence had ample opportunities to clear it, even before the throw-in which followed.

The fourth goal he comes off his line because no-one pick up the run - he looks inside his box when he handles the shot. Again, nobody picked up the actual scorer. 

The defence, or lack of it, is a major issue. As is the Duffy/JJ tactical tombola.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

We've got two centre backs and a goalkeeper on this half who look like they should be nowhere near this level, a midfielder at left back and Tumilty at right back.

We're getting exactly what you would expect out of that.

If we are paying shite wages that is exactly what we are going to get.

If we are paying shite wages that is exactly what we are going to get.

But yet we paid a fee for one of the shite centre backs which could have contributed towards better wages for a better one.

We also went out and burned a loan on a shite central midfielder that we didn't need rather than firstly looking for a decent centre back to bring in.

Budget is a deflection which Hopkin has been using since he came in. Always disappointing when people so blindly lap it up.

The real story is, we woefully neglected the recruitment of the defensive foundation of the team, and only had 1 signed centre back the day before competitive action was due to start, panic signed a couple since then (not before we offered a deal to an even worse one).

Archived