Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have been up for summarily releasing Buchanan in January right after he named his newborn "Baker". One of his many unforced errors of the season, some might say it was the worst of them all.

Picking these players up from lower leagues on one hand does seem worrying. But the fact that they've all been targeted, and so quickly, does seem to suggest some sort of cohesive plan about scouting and recruitment at least.

Happy to see Tumilty signing on for another year. Buchanan I'm not too fussed about. We can do better.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Picking these players up from lower leagues on one hand does seem worrying. But the fact that they've all been targeted, and so quickly, does seem to suggest some sort of cohesive plan about scouting and recruitment at least.

Aye, they've got to have been amongst Hopkin's first choices.

Didn't realise Tumilty had just turned 22. Hopefully under a better manager he'll develop more - definitely a good player in there.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd be curious to see Tumilty playing in a more advanced midfield role. He seems to have a lot of attributes that could work well there, would be interested to see how he fared in a training game or something.

Anyway, I'm glad he's staying. He's definitely got a lot of ability and is young enough to develop so it'll be good to see how he progresses with an actual manager.

AWMSC

It’s too early to be worrying overly about recruiting from lower divisions. Sometimes it works out well and you find that a diamond in the rough hasn’t been unearthed. Obviously not all the time, but at least Hopkin has some form in being able to recruit unknown quantities and get something out of them.

We could get really lucky and find the next Andy Robertson and have sell on clauses that will fill the coffers for years to come.

On a more serious note, I expect we’ll see some more established Championship level players signing for us as well once players’ previous contracts are ending, people come back from holidays and so on.

It’s too early to be worrying overly about recruiting from lower divisions. Sometimes it works out well and you find that a diamond in the rough hasn’t been unearthed. Obviously not all the time, but at least Hopkin has some form in being able to recruit unknown quantities and get something out of them.

We could get really lucky and find the next Andy Robertson and have sell on clauses that will fill the coffers for years to come.

On a more serious note, I’m expect we’ll see some more established Championship level players signing for us as well once players’ previous contracts are ending, people come back from holidays and so on.

I hope that Hopkin will get the best out of those players coming from lower leagues. He tends to have teams that are hard working and difficult to beat and you’d think if they are making the step up they would give their all to prove themselves at this level. Will be interesting to see the new look team

Don't get me enough wrong, I have high hopes for Hopkin but isn't there a danger that we're assigning mythological status to his work at Livvi? He done a great job there but its not some special formula that's guaranteed to work here.

AWMSC

Don't get me enough wrong, I have high hopes for Hopkin but isn't there a danger that we're assigning mythological status to his work at Livvi? He done a great job there but its not some special formula that's guaranteed to work here.

Let's all agree to be very cautiously hopeful he'll advance us from the level we were at last season, but not totally abandon our innate sense of pessimism in all things.

Let's all agree to be very cautiously hopeful he'll advance us from the level we were at last season, but not totally abandon our innate sense of pessimism in all things.

It's not about pessimism, it's that people seem to think "he done it at Livvi" is a guarantee of success. There's being optimistic and there's thinking that he's some sort of messiah. 

AWMSC

We all have high hopes for Hopkin but if he is having to work with a much-reduced budget, realistically, we are trawling the lower leagues for next season's squad. The signings so far are uninspiring but at least we have Dykes to save our season - thanks JJ!

Archived