Squad For Next Season. - Page 228 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad For Next Season.

Madton

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tidser and Lamie are out of contract in the Summer.

Two players I would like to keep for next season.

TBH there aren't many players I would get rid of. Shankland and Donnelly were loan players so we won't have to worry about them next season.

I would like to see Kudus given another year too as I think he would be decent backup for Quitongo, Oliver and Thomson.

Would move Scullion on to free up a wage and see if we can bring in someone who would have a bigger impact on the first team.

I just hope Duffy already has players lined up and he can move on them fairly quickly.

Give Kudus 6 months.

Agreed. I have in the past described him as "the worst player I've ever seen", but in his last few appearances I've been okay with him. Particularly on his showing tonight, I'd be keen to see more of that player.

Kudus was very good tonight, and last Saturday.

But he has been fucking brutal in every other game he's played. Huge question marks over why he's decided to finally give a performance in the last 2 games of his contract.

But he has been ****ing brutal in every other game he's played. Huge question marks over why he's decided to finally give a performance in the last 2 games of his contract.

Agreed, but you don't go from absolutely horse shit, looking like a Junior levelocity player, to someone resembling a semi decent player.

I reckon his confidence has boosted his performance levels.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

It may be harsh but we need to see who else is available before we start dishing out contracts to the likes of Kudus, and even Lamie to some extent.

For me Murdoch and Tidser have to stay. Russell, if we don't have to break the bank, should be offered a contact. Everyone else needs to be contingent on whether or not we can find an improvement - while I like Lamie and Doyle, if getting in Gunning and Gunning's RB equivalent is a possibility we should look into doing that.

From the youths, I guess McGowan will be on the bench next season, and I hope Strapp can also break through.

EOho8Pw.png

But he has been ****ing brutal in every other game he's played. Huge question marks over why he's decided to finally give a performance in the last 2 games of his contract.

Agreed, but you don't go from absolutely horse s***, looking like a Junior levelocity player, to someone resembling a semi decent player.

I reckon his confidence has boosted his performance levels.

Maybe it's down to Shankland being so poor it actually makes Kudus look good. Hell, even I would look competent compared to Shankland. :lol:

EDIT not having a dig at Kudus here, he has played well recently. Should have taken his chance tonight though just after United went 1-0 up.

I'd be fine with Kudus getting a contract in all honesty. We should also be looking to hold on to Lamie, he's always reliable. I don't think we should break the bank for Russell and if he goes, so be it. Strapp looks a more than capable replacement. The first goal last night came from Russell shiting out of a tackle which led to a throw in and he failed to close the resulting cross down. For whatever reason he's had a really poor second half of the season.

As others have said we really need to be adding more quality, experience and strength in depth next season. Hopefully the board back the manager and allow him to do it. Ideally we need to at least bring in a first choice keeper who is better than Gaston, a commanding centre half, a centre mid, 2 wingers and another striker. Going to be an interesting pre season.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

We've got a restricted budget, I wouldn't be too quick to sign up players like Kudus. We need more quality than that. Shankland should also be no-where near getting a deal. I'm worried that they both will though. 

We could do with improving the number of goals from midfield. 3 league goals between Tidser, Murdoch, Lindsay, and Nesbitt isn't very helpful. For me, Nesbitt this season has been a bit like Barr from last season - flatters to deceive far too often. He has improved as the season has gone on and has the talent to have a good future in the game, but it's not all together yet. We relied on Oliver and Forbes for creating and scoring goals, and we struggled without that influence from them. This is maybe to do with Duffy's style as much as anything else. 

We have also really struggled at the back recently. Tempting Gunning back, or signing someone similar, should be a big priority. We've got 3 good centre backs, but they all make mistakes. O'Ware has been linked to bigger things, but even he has made some very basic errors which have led to goals in recent weeks. Lacking a striker, and a bit of creativity, has been a big problem, but there has also been numerous problems at the back (starting with Gaston). 

We don't need major changes, and I hope that we can keep most of the squad together, but we do need to make some changes. 

Bring back Chris Templeman !!

He's been a stand out for Montrose esp in the play offs. He would bring good experience to help out Gary Jai and Thompson. But throw me in the sea for that 1 :)

I think Tidser will move on (hope I'm wrong) Herd he isn't happy with lack of games up till being given starts in the last 5 games or so of the season.

Agree we need to replace Gaston, Murdoch hopefully signs and id be happy to keep Russell,Lamie,Kudus

All in we need a goalie, A right back to challenge or replace Doyle. Right midfielder as for all the great play assits and goals this season, Forbes has no pace and players and refs have cottoned on to him n his dives and being all left footed.

Left Mid needs cover unless we can tempt Neisbit back, We deffs need a seasoned pro goalscorer upfront though as we don't want to be in a position were Jai gets injured again.

Time will tell but we must build on the last 2 season and not stand still.

Mon eh Ton

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Live Sports - MyP2P

Check the Forum for Baseball Listings as MLB is no longer aloud on Sopcast

There's no room for sentiment here. Oyenuga has played well in his last two starts, but we have to look at the big picture of looking out of his depth in the vast majority of his 29 appearances. If we go down this 6 month contract route once again then we're just inviting a lack of depth and lack of quality again, which will leave us scrambling for whichever Shankland and Donnelly types are available in January again. We have to be ruthless about this and handing out contracts on the basis of two good games, one of them in a dead rubber, isn't going to cut it.

Quitongo, Oliver and Thomson (who could also be used out wide) is a great starting point for our attacking options, let's find another quality option to complement them rather than handing out 6 month contracts on a hunch that a player who hasn't been good enough might come good if he only gets a bit of confidence.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Thomson is a much better replacement for Kudus. Bye bye Kudus. Thanks for the goal at Falkirk, and the song was good. But you should never have been anywhere near our team.

Anyone who thinks we should waste a wage on him, again, deserves failure.

I Hope his cult status has no impact on Duffys decision making.

As for Shankland, if he is re-signed then it's TTG Jim right from the off next season.

Anyone else think we're being too optimistic on Quitongos return next season too much? He's obviously very talented but he's still young and wasn't exactly banging the goals in before his injury. This time last year he was being written off by the fans.

Despite escaping criticism Oliver has only managed 7 goals all season - nowhere near good enough.

Haven't seen enough from the boy from Dumbarton but really hope we can get a proven striker in as well.

FTOF

Anyone else think we're being too optimistic on Quitongos return next season too much? He's obviously very talented but he's still young and wasn't exactly banging the goals in before his injury. This time last year he was being written off by the fans.

Despite escaping criticism Oliver has only managed 7 goals all season - nowhere near good enough.

Haven't seen enough from the boy from Dumbarton but really hope we can get a proven striker in as well.

I think his all round quality means you get goals from other areas of the park. He'll hold it up and play off the midfield to create space so it's not just about goals.

I know he didn't score many league goals but Quitongo's overall contribution to the team was vital. His workrate, physical presence and movement created so many problems for teams and brought others into play.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived