Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (16th December) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (16th December)

Admin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Studs up and late is just asking for it, no matter how dire the ref has been otherwise. 

Reckless is yellow, it's not a red card challenge. Also not a penalty.

Let's hope that cunt of a referee had his mortgage on a win for those pinot grigio swilling wankers and ends up living in a box for Christmas.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Absolutely tremendous game management in 2nd half. Bodies flying everywhere to block balls. Brilliant to see. Imrie deserves credit for turning it round and proving doubters wrong (myself included, will hold my hands up and say maybe the injuries did have something to do with performances and results after all).

Thought the fans were brilliant today as well, certainly done our bit to help get the boys over line

It appears the BBC have taken the unusual step of reporting that we are fouling ourselves to give Queens Park their penalty. - An unusual decision as championship refereeing goes....... (or maybe not!)

"Greenock Morton secured their second Scottish Championship win inside five days, despite having George Oakley sent off against Queen's Park.

Robbie Muirhead struck from close range to give Morton an eighth-minute lead.

Oakley was dismissed just before half-time after a foul on Jack Thomson.

Kirk Broadfoot's foul on Tyler French resulted in a penalty in first-half added time but Ruari Paton's spot-kick was saved and the Spiders are two points adrift at the foot of the table."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67667916

A simply outstanding defensive performance in that second half. 9 points and 2 goals conceded in the last 3 games is quite the turnaround from a team that were shipping goals not so long ago. 
If there’s enough grounds to appeal Oakley’s red then hopefully the club do so as we’re without him and Muirhead for next week but I thought it was a stupid challenge to make and gave the referee a decision to make. 
Fuck knows what he gave that penalty for but brilliant to see Mullen dig us out a hole when required. 

10 minutes ago, Scott said:

A simply outstanding defensive performance in that second half. 9 points and 2 goals conceded in the last 3 games is quite the turnaround from a team that were shipping goals not so long ago. 
If there’s enough grounds to appeal Oakley’s red then hopefully the club do so as we’re without him and Muirhead for next week but I thought it was a stupid challenge to make and gave the referee a decision to make. 
Fuck knows what he gave that penalty for but brilliant to see Mullen dig us out a hole when required. 

It was the linesman who "gave" it, at first the ref didn't seem to notice anything amiss. I'd also like to hear exactly what it was given for.

EOho8Pw.png

What a fantastic team performance full of grit, determination and a lot of discipline.  The quality of that goal should not be overshadowed by a total arsehole of a referee. Oakley red card was totally wrong. It was a cynical foul and a yellow card. The penalty was soft but the referee looked desperate to give it. Second half we dug deep and deserved it. QP are a shower of shite and a horrible football club. Not a bad performance today but Mullen my motm. His handling and kicking in that weather overall was great.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Looked from the cowshed like a pathetic dive, I was calling for a yellow as it happened. Never, ever a pen. 

For the red, I think everyone in the cowshed was shocked it looked like a bog standard cynical trip. but would need to see it again in more detail. If he's caught him with his studs on the calf or ankle then we couldn't complain 

Absolutely fantastic stuff today, on an afternoon that a lot went against us. Whilst going down to ten men was a massive blow, the importance of losing Wilson shouldn’t be understated.

Oakley was outstanding until his red, and I really did fear for us at that point. I’d need a look at it again, but from where I was it was no more than a booking. Never like seeing a referee pull a red out so quickly- perhaps he’ll feel he made the right call, but I’d imagine most wouldn’t bring the red out having taken a bit of time over it.

Some excellent performances all over the park, but to single out a few- terrific slog from Muirhead under extremely difficult circumstances. Gillespie‘s an excellent player, his game management and ability to draw free kicks out of teams is a huge asset, especially when down to ten men when you’re most reliable route to goal is through set pieces.

Mullen was again outstanding. A real calming influence on his defence and in spite of Queen’s Park being pretty rancid he wasn’t fazed with anything thrown at him. I can’t remember a Morton goalkeeper whose distribution I’ve been so happy with in years.

Strapp produced a performance for the ages. Absolutely outstanding individual performance from a player who really shouldn’t be anywhere near this level. We might only have him for a few more weeks, let’s make sure we enjoy him.

And finally, the ball boy at the Wee Dublin End. I’ve called for years for us to have wee arseholes doing that job and slowing the play down when we need them too. Never seen a boy that’s been so downright lazy in his work and make me so happy in being so.

Well done young man!

Brilliant stuff today! For me Strapp has been phenomenal since we signed him from the dole(!?!). 

Perhaps not the best technically in this game with even his throw ins getting stopped in the wind, but his commitment to win the ball and get down the line seems to really boost the efforts from others in the team and certainly raise the noise levels in the Cowshed. And who knows, is it small margins like that that get us over the line in games like today?

He's contributed to all 3 winning goals this week too.

Also, only Brian Graham is ahead Paton in the list of people I'd like to see have their penalty saved at Cappielow.

What an amazing 8 days its been!

Champ 12 games.png

Champ 15 games.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hej said:

Looked from the cowshed like a pathetic dive, I was calling for a yellow as it happened. Never, ever a pen. 

For the red, I think everyone in the cowshed was shocked it looked like a bog standard cynical trip. but would need to see it again in more detail. If he's caught him with his studs on the calf or ankle then we couldn't complain 

It was a pathetic dying-swan dive. Talk about going down in instalments!

Was at the kiosk when George got red carded so didnt see.

Horrible weather for both teams but a real backs to the wall shift put in when down to 10 men. 

Special mention for Mullens excellent penalty stop and Lewis McGrattan's curled effort which pulled out an excellent save from the Queens keeper.

Next Sats gonnae be fun (not) without Oakley and Muirhead.

Onwards and upward!

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

You'd want that Oakley red card looked at. Muirhead is also suspended for next week. 

Robbie has been booked in 5 league matches , you need 6 bookings before a suspension kicks in.

In any case, if his booking against ICT had been his 6th then it would be the game on 30th December (ICT) that he would have missed.

As an aside, Kirk Broadfoot picked up his 6th booking today so he will miss the game against ICT on 30th Dec

6 minutes ago, Boogs49 said:

Robbie has been booked in 5 league matches , you need 6 bookings before a suspension kicks in.

In any case, if his booking against ICT had been his 6th then it would be the game on 30th December (ICT) that he would have missed.

As an aside, Kirk Broadfoot picked up his 6th booking today so he will miss the game against ICT on 30th Dec

On the topic of Broadfoot - he's been decent recently and probably deserves a bit of credit after a difficult start. Deserves his place in the team now. 

Archived