Championship 23/24 - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 23/24

Dougie and Brown on the same touchline could be some laugh. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Scott said:

Small club on a shoestring budget Queens Park sign former Rangers, Liverpool and Scotland international Danny Wilson on an 18 month deal after leaving the MLS,

Did they not get good money from selling their young keeper.

13 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Funny how all these clubs now have shoe string budget 

chewin-the-fat-chewing-the-fat.gif

On a similar subject, a Raith Rovers fan had a wee go at me on Twitter today as, at the point David Martindale was saying they had a bigger budget than Livingston, I asked why Raith’s budget seems such a taboo subject.

I’d think it’s fair to suggest that they’re spending a fucking fortune, which is out with their revenue, but a few of their fans took umbrage.

Anyway, last night a breakdown of their spending was released, and this guy told me the Fife Gretna myth was now debunked.

Except, this breakdown was sent only to their fans group (presumably something similar to MCT) and I see no public access to it.

Is it just clever marketing, and social media that’s got bums on seats to allow them to bring in more quality than before, more raffle tickets like what magically propelled Kelty Hearts from the East Of Scotland League to League One, subscribers like we have with MCT, or is it money being pumped in by these guys?

I’d suggest that their methods of sharing the details doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny when only shared with a fanbase that have clapped like seals since this mob walked in the door in the summer.

Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Toby said:

On a similar subject, a Raith Rovers fan had a wee go at me on Twitter today as, at the point David Martindale was saying they had a bigger budget than Livingston, I asked why Raith’s budget seems such a taboo subject.

I’d think it’s fair to suggest that they’re spending a fucking fortune, which is out with their revenue, but a few of their fans took umbrage.

Anyway, last night a breakdown of their spending was released, and this guy told me the Fife Gretna myth was now debunked.

Except, this breakdown was sent only to their fans group (presumably something similar to MCT) and I see no public access to it.

Is it just clever marketing, and social media that’s got bums on seats to allow them to bring in more quality than before, more raffle tickets like what magically propelled Kelty Hearts from the East Of Scotland League to League One, subscribers like we have with MCT, or is it money being pumped in by these guys?

I’d suggest that their methods of sharing the details doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny when only shared with a fanbase that have clapped like seals since this mob walked in the door in the summer.

Any thoughts?

Def spent a fortune in the summer but it paid off as their fans came out in force and backed them with season tickets etc and their average attendance is double that of last season.(1900 more per game right now)

If you look at that over the season, an average of £15 quid a ticket x 1900 x 18 games is an additional 500k so the extra cash spent in the summer will have paid for itself.

I'd imagine their budget is prob the 2nd/3rd highest in the league , despite what their fans say.

39 minutes ago, Toby said:

Any thoughts?

Claiming just a 7% increase in the overall Football Operations budget whilst bigging up large gains in terms of income generation.

image.png.d63d8d3166a5e2581ed9d8608f428916.pngimage.png.e779c1efdcb9a900fd54ee4d4bb1585f.pngimage.png.18d40e97aad7a5f2c60106c168a70e07.pngimage.png.d2e377f5bf1f6503cc64a8dd8d876b69.png

Edited by Jamie_M

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Claiming just a 7% increase in the overall Football Operations budget whilst bigging up large gains in terms of income generation.

image.png.d63d8d3166a5e2581ed9d8608f428916.pngimage.png.e779c1efdcb9a900fd54ee4d4bb1585f.pngimage.png.18d40e97aad7a5f2c60106c168a70e07.pngimage.png.d2e377f5bf1f6503cc64a8dd8d876b69.png

Thanks very much.

So, from my back-of-a-fag-packet calculations, that's £1,161,239 in revenue and expenditure of £1,481,082 (127.54%), resulting in a deficit of £319,843 for a seven month period until December 2023.

And from June-December 2022, income of £536,771, negated by expenditure of £1,351,296 (251.76%), leaving a deficit of £814,525.

Christ alive. Losing near on a million over a seven month period last year is unbelievable for a club at this level. I don't think even Inverness were losing that.

They've clearly made massive strides in improving revenue, and I get that you've got to speculate to accumulate early on since taking over, but a loss of £319,843 over the most recent seven month period is hardly cause for celebration in the kingdom.

That £319,843 is along the lines of what we were losing on an annual basis under Golden Casket. When I saw their Twitter feed retweeting fans that were giving them plaudits I expected the figures to look a lot better than that.

Comparing a significant loss to a shambolic one as if it's some sort of success is turd polishing at it's finest.

• Upvote 1

They've done an excellent Job at painting a very rosey picture. Amazing how many folk are sucked in by good social media content. Of course, creating that is made easier by their good season. The bubble has already started to burst anyway 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

30 minutes ago, Toby said:

Thanks very much.

So, from my back-of-a-fag-packet calculations, that's £1,161,239 in revenue and expenditure of £1,481,082 (127.54%), resulting in a deficit of £319,843 for a six month period until December 2023.

And from June-December 2022, income of £536,771, negated by expenditure of £1,351,296 (251.76%), leaving a deficit of £814,525.

Christ alive. Losing near on a million over a six month period last year is unbelievable for a club at this level. I don't think even Inverness were losing that.

They've clearly made massive strides in improving revenue, and I get that you've got to speculate to accumulate early on since taking over, but a loss of £319,843 over the most recent six month period is hardly cause for celebration in the kingdom.

That £319,843 is along the lines of what we were losing on an annual basis under Golden Casket. When I saw their Twitter feed retweeting fans that were giving them plaudits I expected the figures to look a lot better than that.

Comparing a significant loss to a shambolic one as if it's some sort of success is turd polishing at it's finest.

I've seen a few people highlighting that sort of calculation and the response offered has been that this isn't a full P&L but rather just showing key areas of movement. Notable omissions include prize money/TV money etc.

The summary offered is that they are on track to end the first year of the new regime in a profitable position rather than a deficit. 

Just now, Jamie_M said:

I've seen a few people highlighting that sort of calculation and the response offered has been that this isn't a full P&L but rather just showing key areas of movement. Notable omissions include prize money/TV money etc.

The summary offered is that they are on track to end the first year of the new regime in a profitable position rather than a deficit. 

Aye, I asked that in my group chat and one of the more learned members of this forum suggested that they better hope for at least a second placed finish to avoid a shortfall.

I’d also suggest that wages will not be negated so much by ticket revenue for the rest of the season, with season ticket revenue all accounted for in the previous period and only walk up receipts adding to their revenue.

3 minutes ago, Toby said:

Aye, I asked that in my group chat and one of the more learned members of this forum suggested that they better hope for at least a second placed finish to avoid a shortfall.

I’d also suggest that wages will not be negated so much by ticket revenue for the rest of the season, with season ticket revenue all accounted for in the previous period and only walk up receipts adding to their revenue.

Aye, they better hope their faltering title challenge doesn't completely implode taking prize money, ticket revenue and those extra pie sales with it.

That's one area that did raise my eyebrows from their numbers - the gains from bringing things like the pie stalls in house again rather than taking a fee and outsourcing it. Often suggested on here that Morton should be looking at bringing the concessions and merch back in house.

53 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, they better hope their faltering title challenge doesn't completely implode taking prize money, ticket revenue and those extra pie sales with it.

That's one area that did raise my eyebrows from their numbers - the gains from bringing things like the pie stalls in house again rather than taking a fee and outsourcing it. Often suggested on here that Morton should be looking at bringing the concessions and merch back in house.

Again though, they've made a huge deal on socials about pies. Literally two days of build up for pie of the week and such. Folk are suckered whilst things seem to be running like clockwork

TIME FOR CHANGE!

15 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I don't know specific details, but when myself and Gavin were in meetings with Dave McKinnon, Keith from Smiths and the Vision Outsourcing people, there was mention of Smiths actually owning certain rights to producing Morton merchandise and maybe even the club crest itself, purchased before Rae took over.

I'd hope that would have changed as part of fan ownership, though it does seem the shop does certain things quite separately from the club, like launching and stocking items before the club make any announcement.

8 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

I don't know specific details, but when myself and Gavin were in meetings with Dave McKinnon, Keith from Smiths and the Vision Outsourcing people, there was mention of Smiths actually owning certain rights to producing Morton merchandise and maybe even the club crest itself, purchased before Rae took over.

I'd hope that would have changed as part of fan ownership, though it does seem the shop does certain things quite separately from the club, like launching and stocking items before the club make any announcement.

This is probably correct, I remember going on a rant about those horrible half and half scarves,  the reply I got was basically, that there was nothing the club could do as they'd been produced by Smiths and not the club.

It might not be the same now but in the Dougie era I remember being around the stadium one match one day for some reason and it came up that the club had to buy kits for the mascots at full price from Smiths like any other customer. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif