Squad for next Season - Page 138 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprised he’s basically ruled himself out of playing at all until the summer unless there’s an offer outside of football. 
Didn’t work out for him with us but can’t fault any effort given, good luck to him. 

Seen some flashes of his ability but we are well covered now squad wise so absolutely fine with this. Dougie had high hopes for him when he signed so he’s been a bit of a disappointment but we have better players in front of him in the squad. 

He was contracted to the end of next season as well and with him not getting a game that's a likely problem off the books and you would imagine in a cut price way if it was by his request.

Timing seems a bit odd with his options limited until the summer.

28 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Can he not sign for anyone as he is technically a free agent now.

If that was the case everyone would be doing it to evade the transfer window, just being released then signing for their next club. He can't be registered as a professional for another Scottish club until the window opens. Places where the window is still open (probably Ireland and other summer leagues?), he could go there.

In fact come to think of it I'm sure we chanced our arm at that about 20 years ago and we were the reason it got changed in Scotland.

EOho8Pw.png

40 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Can he not sign for anyone as he is technically a free agent now.

No.

Clubs can sign free agents outwith the transfer window but the player has to have been released before the window closed. That's why you see a number of players negotiating their release on deadline day to give them more time/opportunities for a move after the deadline.

If he had negotiated his release earlier in the week, like a few players at other clubs have done, I would have suspected he was heading to Ireland but their window closed last night.

So unless he is planning on clocking up some air miles to head for an overseas league where the window is still open - he's either sitting on his arse until the Summer or more likely, going to rock up at the likes of East Kilbride (because all of the above doesn't apply at such a lowly level)

Sounds like I'm in the minority that rated Boyd. Thought he offered loads of energy at the start of the season and grabbed a goal or 2. Can understand him moving on as he's nowhere near the starting 11 but asking to be released once the transfer window has closed is a strange one. Assume he has something else lined up. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Boyd had the work rate of an Imrie style, slightly defensive minded wide player and always gave 100%. His second touch was a tackle though and his end product - with a sole exception of one home game I didn't go to - completely gubbins. Don't wish him any ill-will at all but it was never going to work out. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I know it’s not even March yet, but just thought that a good marker for how well this squad has gelled is to think about who might be Player of the Year?

For me I’d be tempted to pick Strapp (despite his late arrival) or Baird. However i couldn’t argue with Wilson, Crawford, Oakley, Blues, Muirhead …and even Power has been brilliant since we started our run of results in November. 

It won't happen but I'd have strapp and Mullen in the mix. Their influence on the team has been fantastic.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Don't think you can ignore Muirhead if he gets close to 20 goals this season and he's already on 14. Oakley been immense as well past couple of months as has Mullen. Could genuinely name most of the squad and I wouldn't argue. 

Wilson just edges them all for me at this point though. Been brilliant in multiple positions for us through the bad times and the good. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Wilson, Baird, Oakley. All so important to what we do.

Blues has been ever present and played 4 or 5 different positions as well.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg