Morton Club Together Updates - Page 126 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

None of the content is especially harmful, but I've went from having tweet notifications for the MCT account turned on to switching them off because I can't be arsed with my phone flashing up 4/5 times in a 20 minute period with nonsense quote tweets. There's a balancing act in effective social media communication and this isn't it. I'm not suggesting it's a massive issue, more of an irritation, but someone needs told to calm it. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tele reporting a local businessman is set to give MCT a significant lump sum of cash each season going forward. Imrie highlighted that he was given assurances around his budget before signing his new contract so wonder if this has anything to do with it. 

48 minutes ago, Scott said:

Tele reporting a local businessman is set to give MCT a significant lump sum of cash each season going forward. Imrie highlighted that he was given assurances around his budget before signing his new contract so wonder if this has anything to do with it. 

Not so much new money (doesn't say he is increasing contribution) but rather ongoing commitment to the money he already provides.

Hopefully the new publicity of the Patron option might encourage a few more to sign up though.

7 hours ago, Scott said:

Hopefully offers some of it to Oakley and Muirhead 

• 1 month later...

Gordon Ritchie has stood down from the GMFC board. After a bit of a rocky start I think he was integral to our recent successes as a club. Best wishes to him going forward.

His replacement:

"In view of Gordon's resignation and as the MCT Articles of Association state there should be a majority of MCT representatives on the club board, the board of MCT have  unanimously voted to put forward existing GMFC Director, Michael Harkins, as their new representative, with Graham Barr and Sam Robinson already in place as MCT representatives. Michael has been an MCT member since the beginning and was involved in the leadership team in the build up to community ownership. Although he was appointed by the club board for his financal knowledge, he is a very suitable, and welcome, candidate to be proposed as an MCT representative."

Harkins was appointed as Finance Director and didn't come on the board via MCT, but as this says, he was a member from the start.

EOho8Pw.png

This is a crossroads for MCT. McLennan, Ritchie and Farmer were the leaders of the move to community ownership, and they have all stepped down for different reasons. Will the next generation have the drive and ability to keep the club going? 

Early indications aren’t good. The club statement says that the MCT Articles require a majority of MCT reps on the Morton board. They don’t say that. That’s not a good start.

There is a requirement for MCT reps to have served two years on the MCT board before being eligible for the Morton board. Harkins has never served on the MCT board. 

MCT boasted about transparency and democracy when it started. Are the members to be consulted about Harkins being appointed, or is this a stitch up by the two boards who are showing contempt for the members?

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Tink said:

This is a crossroads for MCT. McLennan, Ritchie and Farmer were the leaders of the move to community ownership, and they have all stepped down for different reasons. Will the next generation have the drive and ability to keep the club going? 

Early indications aren’t good. The club statement says that the MCT Articles require a majority of MCT reps on the Morton board. They don’t say that. That’s not a good start.

There is a requirement for MCT reps to have served two years on the MCT board before being eligible for the Morton board. Harkins has never served on the MCT board. 

MCT boasted about transparency and democracy when it started. Are the members to be consulted about Harkins being appointed, or is this a stitch up by the two boards who are showing contempt for the members?

It does say this in the GMFC Articles, but agreed that it's not the best look for the club to be mixing the two up in an official update.

As for Harkins being co-opted as an MCT representative, I don't particularly have an issue with this. While all of the Directors who are there in a capacity as MCT representatives should really have gone through the process of being elected to that board by the membership in the first place, the fact is that the MCT majority representation does need to be maintained and we're still under three years into fan ownership, so we've not really had a great amount of time to have that pipeline of MCT board to GMFC board setup. In fact I think I'm right in saying that none of the 7 current MCT board members have been on the board for two years, and it's possible none of them want to make that move.

I don't really see this turnover of directors as a problem rather than the inevitable consequence of having big changes so recently, with that initial group of MCT directors moving to the GMFC board as the takeover was completed follower by needing a fresh group of MCT directors, then we've also had further changes to the articles of both GMFC & MCT in the years since the takeover to define how the two boards should interact.

It's inevitable that it would take some time to stabilise in the initial years of what is still a relatively recent ownership change, but hopefully if something like this comes up again in another couple of years we won't have the same need to look outside the existing MCT directors.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

14 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

No self respecting political party would, or should, align themselves with that creepy crawley. 

I think that's the reason he is in the Alba party.

• Upvote 2

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw