Morton Club Together Updates - Page 124 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Crunch time on Thursday. It's the club AGM and the new proposed Articles of Association have been published. See the attached.

MCT introduces them thus:

"One of the key parts of the AGM is to approve the new club Articles of Association. You might recall in August 2022 we highlighted to members that the existing club articles had not been updated in a significant period of time. In addition to this, we also highlighted how new club articles were being drafted and that they included a pathway to the club board that improved the democracy of the club by introducing a pathway where MCT members can work toward becoming a director of the football club. 

"The new club articles also correspond to changes in the MCT articles approved at the September 2022 MCT AGM that give MCT improved governance oversight over nominees to the club board to protect against individuals acting in a manner that is counterproductive to the aims and general ethos of a club owned by its community, you, our members. 

"As mentioned previously, we know that transparent governance has been a point raised by members previously, and we believe that the changes to the club articles, the previous changes to the MCT articles and the fact that members can listen in on the AGM reflect these aspirations.

"As a result MCT can confirm we are supporting the adoption of the new club articles. You can find a copy of the proposed club articles via the link below."

I have not yet read them personally. It would be useful if they highlighted exactly which articles had changed and which remain as-is. But I'll have a look at the rights of callback and transparent governance sections tonight.

Proposed_Greenock_Morton_Articles_of_Association.pdf

EOho8Pw.png

On 3/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, TRVMP said:

Crunch time on Thursday. It's the club AGM and the new proposed Articles of Association have been published. See the attached.

MCT introduces them thus:

"One of the key parts of the AGM is to approve the new club Articles of Association. You might recall in August 2022 we highlighted to members that the existing club articles had not been updated in a significant period of time. In addition to this, we also highlighted how new club articles were being drafted and that they included a pathway to the club board that improved the democracy of the club by introducing a pathway where MCT members can work toward becoming a director of the football club. 

"The new club articles also correspond to changes in the MCT articles approved at the September 2022 MCT AGM that give MCT improved governance oversight over nominees to the club board to protect against individuals acting in a manner that is counterproductive to the aims and general ethos of a club owned by its community, you, our members. 

"As mentioned previously, we know that transparent governance has been a point raised by members previously, and we believe that the changes to the club articles, the previous changes to the MCT articles and the fact that members can listen in on the AGM reflect these aspirations.

"As a result MCT can confirm we are supporting the adoption of the new club articles. You can find a copy of the proposed club articles via the link below."

I have not yet read them personally. It would be useful if they highlighted exactly which articles had changed and which remain as-is. But I'll have a look at the rights of callback and transparent governance sections tonight.

Proposed_Greenock_Morton_Articles_of_Association.pdf 362.36 kB · 1 download

Would appreciate if anyone in attendance this evening could post updates in here.

Despite me being a shareholder(and having provided the club with updated contact details recently), I was not contacted to inform me of the AGM, and only found out via MCT.  I was told today that I would be sent a zoom link, but this never arrived.  I also filled in the form to attend as an MCT member but again received nothing.  This leaves me wondering who (if anyone) will be in attendance other than the board members.  Not ideal.

• Upvote 1

I received a link from MCT for zoom yesterday afternoon however something came up that meant I couldn't attend. Shame if other people didn't get the same email as I did if they registered their interest. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I'm in the exact same boat, to the letter. I'm an individual shareholder, for whom the club has contact information (they have marketed to me many, many times, and I'm an online overseas stream subscriber) and to whom the club by its own rules has an obligation to provide notice of an AGM. They chose not to provide that notice.

MCT, to their credit, did provide notice. However, I also didn't receive the Zoom link despite signing up online.

From neither party is this good enough. The Club is relying on the current good feeling around the Dougie revolution; if they blank shareholders and supporters when times on the pitch are good, they can see what happens when times on the pitch are bad. MCT talked a good game about democracy and oversight, but when push came to shove they didn't provide a means for remote fans to attend the AGM, despite their promises.

Socks are needing pulled up both in the boardroom and at MCT. Complacency is setting in. Sort it.

With the exception of me not being overseas, snap

No one know how it went then? I was fine with missing it when I thought everyone received a zoom link but looks like only I did 😂

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

12 minutes ago, port-ton said:

No one know how it went then? I was fine with missing it when I thought everyone received a zoom link but looks like only I did 😂

I'd have thought MCT would have a report to members but they don't seem to do much now. 

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, HamCam said:

Irnbru your bitterness towards MCT knows no bounds. You had your day - move on. Just to add I am not a member of MCT.

I responded to the shareholder AGM e-mail, was sent a link and had no problem joining the meeting. My two boys also got send the e-mail but were not able to participate. The issue with some stakeholders missing out however requires to be urgently addressed. Gordon Ritchie appears to be the point of contact and I would hound him to get it resolved. 

As for the AGM, I am sure when one of the volunteers has a moment they will provide a proper summary. In the meantime my take on it as follows: 

- The loss in 2021/22 was concerning/alarming but has to a great extent been addressed after MCT took over. The feeling was historically costs were not as closely monitored when people assumed there was always a sugar daddy down the line to bail the club out.

- This years accounts, when they are published (after the year-end in May) will show a healthy profit largely due to the cup game with Celtic bringing in over £200k. Even without this 'windfall' the Board are confident the club would break even.

- Recent sponsorship deals are crucial to the financial balancing act. If I picked it up correctly, the main sponsor Dalrada provided a 12 month package with the option for a further 5 years. Dalrada require the club to share in their ambition for GMFC to succeed and the Board are optimistic/positive Dalrada will take up the option to exercise the option to extend sponsorship at the end of this season. 

- The majority of the new sponsorship monies has all gone to the manager to improve the squad hence the additions, contract extensions and loanees in January.

- All players contracts have been reviewed updating from a template someone found on the internet to a more bespoke arrangement reflecting the modern world of football.

- The Board are aware with success other clubs could come in for the manager and players. The Board have tried their best to protect the Club but accept if the money is right they will not stand in the way of an individual looking to better themselves. It is a difficult balancing act protecting the 'assets' without handing out lengthy and onerous contracts to players who maybe do not ultimately fulfil their potential (my words not the Board).

- For the first time I heard people explicitly stating the ambition is not just survival in the league but promotion. Realistically recent results have made a title win more difficult but we should be targeting a play-off place.

- Average gates are slowly increasing.

- The ongoing ticket and entry farce at Cappielow was fully acknowledged. No quick solution this season but the proposed arrangements in the future should hopefully resolve the issue.

- Proposals in hand to improve the fan experience and tidy up Cappielow. The Board are looking at the options for the parcel of land they acquired to do something similar to what Ayr provide in their car park. I believe it is a mix of something for the fans on the ground floor and offices above.

- Importantly the proposals to replaces the 'Articles' were passed with only one minor amendment requiring (not optional) the Board to hold an AGM.

- The three Board members, in attendance,  highlighted they would encourage any fan to come forward for election to the Board if they believe they have something to offer. The Club is now 'ours' and it is up to us to ensure it not just survives but moves forward.

I am sure there are aspects of the AGM I have omitted but hopefully the above is an accurate recollection of the main points I recollect.

Thankyou for the update

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

6 hours ago, HamCam said:

Irnbru your bitterness towards MCT knows no bounds. You had your day - move on. Just to add I am not a member of MCT.

I responded to the shareholder AGM e-mail, was sent a link and had no problem joining the meeting. My two boys also got send the e-mail but were not able to participate. The issue with some stakeholders missing out however requires to be urgently addressed. Gordon Ritchie appears to be the point of contact and I would hound him to get it resolved. 

As for the AGM, I am sure when one of the volunteers has a moment they will provide a proper summary. In the meantime my take on it as follows: 

- The loss in 2021/22 was concerning/alarming but has to a great extent been addressed after MCT took over. The feeling was historically costs were not as closely monitored when people assumed there was always a sugar daddy down the line to bail the club out.

- This years accounts, when they are published (after the year-end in May) will show a healthy profit largely due to the cup game with Celtic bringing in over £200k. Even without this 'windfall' the Board are confident the club would break even.

- Recent sponsorship deals are crucial to the financial balancing act. If I picked it up correctly, the main sponsor Dalrada provided a 12 month package with the option for a further 5 years. Dalrada require the club to share in their ambition for GMFC to succeed and the Board are optimistic/positive Dalrada will take up the option to exercise the option to extend sponsorship at the end of this season. 

- The majority of the new sponsorship monies has all gone to the manager to improve the squad hence the additions, contract extensions and loanees in January.

- All players contracts have been reviewed updating from a template someone found on the internet to a more bespoke arrangement reflecting the modern world of football.

- The Board are aware with success other clubs could come in for the manager and players. The Board have tried their best to protect the Club but accept if the money is right they will not stand in the way of an individual looking to better themselves. It is a difficult balancing act protecting the 'assets' without handing out lengthy and onerous contracts to players who maybe do not ultimately fulfil their potential (my words not the Board).

- For the first time I heard people explicitly stating the ambition is not just survival in the league but promotion. Realistically recent results have made a title win more difficult but we should be targeting a play-off place.

- The ongoing ticket and entry farce at Cappielow was fully acknowledged. No quick solution this season but the proposed arrangements in the future should hopefully resolve the issue.

- Proposals in hand to improve the fan experience and tidy up Cappielow. The Board are looking at the options for the parcel of land they acquired to do something similar to what Ayr provide in their car park. I believe it is a mix of something for the fans on the ground floor and offices above.

- Importantly the proposals to replaces the 'Articles' were passed with only one minor amendment requiring (not optional) the Board to hold an AGM.

- The three Board members, in attendance,  highlighted they would encourage any fan to come forward for election to the Board if they believe they have something to offer. The Club is now 'ours' and it is up to us to ensure it not just survives but moves forward.

I am sure there are aspects of the AGM I have omitted but hopefully the above is an accurate recollection of the main points I recollect.

Thanks for this comprehensive update.

Thirded - excellent update and it sounds very encouraging on almost all fronts. The difference between this and the previous regime is night and day.

Nonetheless, I am concerned that I didn't get the invite despite signing up, so I'll follow up with Gordon Ritchie on that.

EOho8Pw.png

11 hours ago, HamCam said:

No bitterness from me, I'm just a bit concerned the MCT side has been quiet. Club side has been great as per your updates (didn't get to the agm so thanks for the summary!). 

Pay what I can into MCT each month and don't see any reason to change but would be good to get more updates for people who have a more passing interest in Morton. 

• 3 weeks later...

MCT have sent out a nice email statement as well, concluding (correctly) that without Graham's idea and drive, this whole community ownership thing never would have happened.

They also stated that there is now room for another MCT member to join the GMFC board. Time to put the new articles of association to the test!

EOho8Pw.png

• 4 months later...

Here we are in late August again with an incomplete squad and hoping that a couple of deals - and better luck with injuries - will allow us to be competitive in the right half of the division.

Going forward, the issue that MCT as owners of the club has to address is whether this is genuinely sustainable. Despite the best efforts of the Scottish football authorities, we can't actually bank on an Old Firm cup tie every season. Getting out of the League Cup group itself is probably about a 1 in 3/40% shot each season. So what was the plan for this season if we didn't have any extra cup revenue - and how do we avoid being in that position in 12 months' time?

One possible answer might be greater use of youth players as there seems to be a gap between the underage squads and the first team - perhaps next season will be appropriate to bring some of them into the matchday squad. Part of the answer could involve increasing matchday revenue - though there was little progress in terms of development of the fanzone project (on the surface at least) yesterday. But addressing this needs to be a pressing task as I cannot see the current first team model working for long without it going spectacularly wrong.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On 8/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, vikingTON said:

Here we are in late August again with an incomplete squad and hoping that a couple of deals - and better luck with injuries - will allow us to be competitive in the right half of the division.

Going forward, the issue that MCT as owners of the club has to address is whether this is genuinely sustainable. Despite the best efforts of the Scottish football authorities, we can't actually bank on an Old Firm cup tie every season. Getting out of the League Cup group itself is probably about a 1 in 3/40% shot each season. So what was the plan for this season if we didn't have any extra cup revenue - and how do we avoid being in that position in 12 months' time?

One possible answer might be greater use of youth players as there seems to be a gap between the underage squads and the first team - perhaps next season will be appropriate to bring some of them into the matchday squad. Part of the answer could involve increasing matchday revenue - though there was little progress in terms of development of the fanzone project (on the surface at least) yesterday. But addressing this needs to be a pressing task as I cannot see the current first team model working for long without it going spectacularly wrong.

There's an apprenticeship scheme with the under 18s side now where players are full time (I think) so might help with the progression over the next few years - https://www.gmfc.net/greenock-morton-launches-new-apprenticeship-programme/

It mentions on the article that MCT have increased financial contributions to the club so would be interesting to hear more about that and where the members money is going (do they see this scheme as a long term investment, etc and how it impacts the first team now - is it reducing budget so we've got that pathway over the next few years).

Same with the fan zone - I heard that some of the cup money was going to that so we've got more revenue streams long term rather than just filling up the squad but also heard it was an MCT project. 

Would be good to hear a bit more about what's being done for both and how MCT are involved. Both seem to be positives so would maybe help membership numbers too. 

Sam Robinson has stepped down from the MCT board and will continue on the GMFC board as an MCT-sanctioned representative of the ownership group.

I don't know much about the guy but this from his email to members this morning was, to me, extremely encouraging:

"The second highlight? Introducing the Dalrada proposal to the club. This was a significant turning point. The Dalrada partnership wasn't just about financials; they saw the commitment of our members, their willingness to invest in our shared passion. Interestingly, it's been just over a year since we signed that agreement with Dalrada. In that time, it's brought us the stability needed to push forward and evolve.

"Looking ahead, my focus is on the evolution of our club. The past year saw us facing off against powerhouses like Celtic and Rangers, and the financial boost from such matchups is undeniable. But it's imperative that we channel this windfall into bolstering the core of our operations.

Rather than blowing the family silver on marquee signings every season, I think this is the only way forward. We can't be eating our seed corn when there's no guarantee of another Dalrada waiting in the wings to bail us out. The only way to retain solid Championship status, much less mount a promotion challenge, is to ensure we have the basic structure down to continue as a full-time club.

That's a pressure we never faced under Rae ownership, it's one we face now, and to me the acknowledgement of this fact is by far the most important criterion for selecting club Board members. I'm glad Sam recognizes this.

EOho8Pw.png