January Transfer Window Thread - Page 18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he has his eye on two or three Finnish players but he can't bring them in this window because there's no money, fantastic stuff.

In fairness, he's mentioned before that it can be really expensive to relocate players, so it's not necessarily a huge worry if you can't do that in a January window. More to the point though, I'd guess the club aren't daft enough to commit to that kind of thing for Johansson at this juncture even if the money was there.

AWMSC

I think what he means is the budgets are set for the season, and that what he has in mind would need to be factored in to a new budget due to the different nature of the venture etc. (Scouting, flights, housing etc.) I dont think he necessarily meant we have £0 to spend (although thats exactly what I expect us to spend)

Can't compete with the teams around us financially. We'll be scraping the barrel if at all.

We competed with the teams around us just fine in the summer - where is the extra money coming from to fund more signings now?

Those who follow the ironclad laws of fact-based analysis have been pointing out that there’d be little scope for new signings for months. The onus is on the manager to get the required performances and results with the squad at his disposal - instead of listing more shan excuses for failure.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I think what he means is the budgets are set for the season, and that what he has in mind would need to be factored in to a new budget due to the different nature of the venture etc. (Scouting, flights, housing etc.) I dont think he necessarily meant we have £0 to spend (although thats exactly what I expect us to spend)

Yep, pretty much. I thought his point about January windows was more of a general one as well, rather than specifically about Morton's current situation: for example, Barcelona are signing Valencia subs on loan this time round, so it's a tough window for everybody.

There's no reason for Morton to be coughing up funds in this window. It's up to Johansson to prove his worth in the loan market and with what he already has. Fourth place is more than achievable with semi-competent leadership, flinging money about would be a waste unless the title was within realistic distance.

AWMSC

Yep, pretty much. I thought his point about January windows was more of a general one as well, rather than specifically about Morton's current situation: for example, Barcelona are signing Valencia subs on loan this time round, so it's a tough window for everybody.

There's no reason for Morton to be coughing up funds in this window. It's up to Johansson to prove his worth in the loan market and with what he already has. Fourth place is more than achievable with semi-competent leadership, flinging money about would be a waste unless the title was within realistic distance.

100% agree. JJ talks about his connections a lot so lets see if he can pull some good loans in.

prove his worth with what he already has

Which he has had months to do and largely failed.

The only defence given for his performance has been that it's not his players and he needs a window.

Now, as was obvious, it's become clear he won't get to rip up the squad in January after all, where's the defence now?

In fairness, he's mentioned before that it can be really expensive to relocate players, so it's not necessarily a huge worry if you can't do that in a January window. More to the point though, I'd guess the club aren't daft enough to commit to that kind of thing for Johansson at this juncture even if the money was there.

It would be ideal to call JJ's bluff by having the Easdales buy up some flats and a block booking on Finnair HEL-EDI and tell him to fill his boots.

EOho8Pw.png

That’s what I took it to mean based on a similar interview with the Tele a few weeks back.

That’s what I took it to mean based on a similar interview with the Tele a few weeks back.

Yeah he has mentioned a good few times in his interviews about adding to the squad, sorting the imbalance issue etc so i'm not worried about us not bringing anyone in.

Worry will be if the players he does bring in are crap!

Yeah he has mentioned a good few times in his interviews about adding to the squad, sorting the imbalance issue etc so i'm not worried about us not bringing anyone in.

Worry will be if the players he does bring in are crap!

It's fine, Strapp and Langan are back...

It's fine, Strapp and Langan are back...

Strapp being back is a good thing. He's a better left back than McKeown. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Johansson does sound like he wants to bring players in this window in his latest interview so hopefully we can see some improvement to the team.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

What's the endgame for this season? We're highly unlikely to get promoted. Do the BoD feel that we have a team that can finish comfortably clear of the dropzone and they don't want to spunk money on January signings? That's my take on it and I agree with them. Unless there's some true game-changer in Finland (or elsewhere) who could make us money, there's no point in giving JJ cash. The current squad is good enough to survive easily but not good enough to go up, so why bother spending big?

EOho8Pw.png

Archived