January Transfer Window Thread - Page 19 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

What's the endgame for this season? We're highly unlikely to get promoted. Do the BoD feel that we have a team that can finish comfortably clear of the dropzone and they don't want to spunk money on January signings? That's my take on it and I agree with them. Unless there's some true game-changer in Finland (or elsewhere) who could make us money, there's no point in giving JJ cash. The current squad is good enough to survive easily but not good enough to go up, so why bother spending big?

I agree with that. We're rubbish but 1 or 2 good loan signings should be enough to keep us clear of Falkirk and Alloa.

The main concern for me is a lack of a starting point for next season. Who do we realistically want to keep out of this lot? Tidser, Waddell and Millar and a load of youth players? Seems like an even bigger risk to let a rookie sign a dozen new bodies in the summer.

On the other hand, if we really are keen on bringing some Finnish lads over then we should be working on that as early as possible.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the endgame for this season? We're highly unlikely to get promoted. Do the BoD feel that we have a team that can finish comfortably clear of the dropzone and they don't want to spunk money on January signings? That's my take on it and I agree with them. Unless there's some true game-changer in Finland (or elsewhere) who could make us money, there's no point in giving JJ cash. The current squad is good enough to survive easily but not good enough to go up, so why bother spending big?

Nobody is talking about spending big but our squad is threadbare and needs at least a centre back and a forward that leads the line and holds up play as none of our current (fit) players can do that to avoid getting dragged into a relegation scrap. Falkirk are signing scatter gun fashion and *could potentially get themselves out of it. Partick are looking to strengthen too and have more money to spend but with a modest investment in 2 first team wages we should have enough to keep ourselves out of it we don't want to be gambling on a play off place and let's face it prior to the Thistle result we were in relegation form.

Said it before but there's no reason to spend in this window. If Johansson can't get anything from what he has, he shouldn't be given money to spend.

Yet another season finished before January, then back to the start in the summer. We'll probably appoint some dreadful idiot like Mark McGhee once Johansson gets punted.

AWMSC

Nobody is talking about spending big but our squad is threadbare and needs at least a centre back and a forward that leads the line and holds up play as none of our current (fit) players can do that to avoid getting dragged into a relegation scrap. Falkirk are signing scatter gun fashion and *could potentially get themselves out of it. Partick are looking to strengthen too and have more money to spend but with a modest investment in 2 first team wages we should have enough to keep ourselves out of it we don't want to be gambling on a play off place and let's face it prior to the Thistle result we were in relegation form.

We were on relegation form because the manager wasn’t getting enough of a midtable squad. The solution to that doesn’t involve handing over money that’s not there to someone who has shown a lack of competence so far.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Sneak into 4th place - keep Dundee United and Ayr down then beat the skunks in the play-off final.

Something like that.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Said it before but there's no reason to spend in this window. If Johansson can't get anything from what he has, he shouldn't be given money to spend.Err

Yet another season finished before January, then back to the start in the summer. We'll probably appoint some dreadful idiot like Mark McGhee once Johansson gets punted.

Season finished? We're a point off the playoffs with 17 games to play!!

Its not been a great season, quite the opposite, yet we are well in contention for a play off place alongside 3 other mediocre and inconsistent teams!

One or two quality additions and we can easily come top of that mini league!

Believe Gary!

We were on relegation form because the manager wasn’t getting enough of a midtable squad. The solution to that doesn’t involve handing over money that’s not there to someone who has shown a lack of competence so far.

What's cheaper pay off the management team and hope we can get better on our budget (we can't) or give him a couple of players to ensure we stay in this league? I'm guessing the latter is half the price of the former and that's how business men like the Easdales and the Raes make decisions.

Sure, it's a thin squad, but half the division has thin squads.

Then again you're right, the consequences of failure are disastrous here. One or two fresh faces might be all we need to stop the rot.

Season finished? We're a point off the playoffs with 17 games to play!!

Its not been a great season, quite the opposite, yet we are well in contention for a play off place alongside 3 other mediocre and inconsistent teams!

One or two quality additions and we can easily come top of that mini league!

Believe Gary!

Nothing is impossible, teams like Hamilton and Livi have made it through the playoffs despite being unfancied, but we're not solid at the back and it would take more than a loanee or two to change that.

EOho8Pw.png

Sure, it's a thin squad, but half the division has thin squads.

Then again you're right, the consequences of failure are disastrous here. One or two fresh faces might be all we need to stop the rot.

Nothing is impossible, teams like Hamilton and Livi have made it through the playoffs despite being unfancied, but we're not solid at the back and it would take more than a loanee or two to change that.

If there was anything at all so far to suggest that all that's missing is a couple of players coming in in January then there might be cause for some kind of optimism. As it is, it just looks like another really tedious trudge through the rest of the season, hoping to get to the end of it intact. Maybe scraping into fourth place is alright if you get there in the end, but it's fuckin dull until that happens, and even at that it's not really anything to shout about if you end up getting another 6/7 goal pumping off Dundee United.

Either Morton are a credible team with real ambitions or they're not. That's a choice that the club's going to need to make sooner than later.

AWMSC

If there was anything at all so far to suggest that all that's missing is a couple of players coming in in January then there might be cause for some kind of optimism. As it is, it just looks like another really tedious trudge through the rest of the season, hoping to get to the end of it intact. Maybe scraping into fourth place is alright if you get there in the end, but it's ****in dull until that happens, and even at that it's not really anything to shout about if you end up getting another 6/7 goal pumping off Dundee United.

Either Morton are a credible team with real ambitions or they're not. That's a choice that the club's going to need to make sooner than later.

It's supposedly a three-year plan (two years of faffing about like this, then pushing the boat oat?)

EOho8Pw.png

My take on the latest interview (Ross County preview) is that he’s been trying to move some people on and will continue to do so, whether that’s loaning people out, ending loan spells or terminating contracts by mutual agreement, in order to free up some money to bring others in. He’ll have taken the job on in the knowledge the club wouldn’t be presenting him with a ‘war chest’ at any point. We’ve no idea how canny or otherwise he can be, but he’ll have a tough job in the tight timeframe of the January window, particularly given the lack of funds at his disposal (as is the case for most of the managers in the division)

God, it's boring following Morton. Now til May will be a soozefest. I'll end up making a loss on my pound shop season ticket.

Bit OTT on the misery. I think you and some others exaggerate how bad a state we're in. We're 5th, far enough off the bottom not to be worried, have gone through a serious upheaval this season and the manager has kept us in touch.

Couple of decent signings before the end of the month and we'll be jammin.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Well the 1st year of the 3 year plan is going well Crawford. You can kid the fans some of the time but not all of the time. We will see if you have as many season tickets going out the door next season.If you are still there that is.

Bit OTT on the misery. I think you and some others exaggerate how bad a state we're in. We're 5th, far enough off the bottom not to be worried, have gone through a serious upheaval this season and the manager has kept us in touch.

Couple of decent signings before the end of the month and we'll be jammin.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we'll go down but there's nothing to look forward to in the immediate to medium term future. I'm dragging myself tonight.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I see Joe cardle has signed for Partick a bit of a p###k but better than what we have

Would have happily have took him. Kind of player we have lacked in the squad for some time.

Probably the first player that Falkirk/Thistle have signed that i would have taken for us. The rest are all a bit meh.

What's cheaper pay off the management team and hope we can get better on our budget (we can't) or give him a couple of players to ensure we stay in this league? I'm guessing the latter is half the price of the former and that's how business men like the Easdales and the Raes make decisions.

There’s more danger of the current manager lumbering our squad with absolute dung than there is of relegation this season. And given that the budget has already been spent, there’s no chance that we’re going to push the boat out under these circumstances.

This is a midtable squad and the onus is firmly on the manager to get the best out of it. I’m sick and tired of this bullshit excuse-mongering from JJ and his fluffers about that situation, which he should have grasped when he applied for the job.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived