Motherwell V Morton - Betfred Cup - Match Thread - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Motherwell V Morton - Betfred Cup - Match Thread

Chesh

The games are coming fast and after a disapointing display for 85 minutes on Tuesday we move onto Motherwell, they have the physical benefit of not having a game on Tuesday but maybe we can use their lack of match sharpness to our advantage.

I think a a fast start is important here, (Much like the Kille game at this stage last season) we need to be pressing high up the pitch and hassiling their backline.  For this reason i would drop Harkins from the team and start Jai and Oliver (if not fit then McHugh) uptop in a 4 - 4 - 2 formaion.

Unless a centre back is brought in today or tomorrow then it will have to be Barr and Lamie again at CB with Doyle and Russel playing full back.

I'd have Forbes on the right with Murdoch and Tidser patroling the midfield and Thomson out on the left as an option for Gaston to hit from goal kicks.

Gaston

Doyle       Barr     Lamie   Russell

Forbes    Murdoch  Tidser   Thomson

Quitongo     Oliver

I reckon we need to take something away from here to have a relasitic chance of topping the group or going through as a best placed runner up.

Also im driving through to this one, i've never been to Fir park before does anyone have any parking suggestions or advice?

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The games are coming fast and after a disapointing display for 85 minutes on Tuesday we move onto Motherwell, they have the physical benefit of not having a game on Tuesday but maybe we can use their lack of match sharpness to our advantage.

I think a a fast start is important here, (Much like the Kille game at this stage last season) we need to be pressing high up the pitch and hassiling their backline.  For this reason i would drop Harkins from the team and start Jai and Oliver (if not fit then McHugh) uptop in a 4 - 4 - 2 formaion.

Unless a centre back is brought in today or tomorrow then it will have to be Barr and Lamie again at CB with Doyle and Russel playing full back.

I'd have Forbes on the right with Murdoch and Tidser patroling the midfield and Thomson out on the left as an option for Gaston to hit from goal kicks.

Gaston

Doyle       Barr     Lamie   Russell

Forbes    Murdoch  Tidser   Thomson

Quitongo     Oliver

I reckon we need to take something away from here to have a relasitic chance of topping the group or going through as a best placed runner up.

Also im driving through to this one, i've never been to Fir park before does anyone have any parking suggestions or advice?

Quitongo up front with Oliver backing him up worked well last season so seems daft not to use that tactic.  Quitongo was anonymous out wide most of the time and his style will unsettle defenders when he is running directly at them.

Regarding parking, don't follow the signs to Fir Park or you'll end up at the main stand from which you have to walk a long way to get right round the ground (you can't get directly to the away end as there are some houses blocking the route).  Last time we parked in the Dalzell Drive area.  There is a wee lane off Dalzell Drive leading to the away turnstiles, and if you drive past that there is on road parking a wee bit down the hill.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Quitongo is pretty ineffective out wide, if he starts he has to play through the middle. Maybe go 4-5-1 with Forbes Murdoch and Tidser in the middle of the park, McHugh left and Thomson right?

Agreed.  He's good at that so why re-invent the wheel?

My main concern is the loss of pace in midfield with Lindsay being away.  I hope Jim Duffy is aware of that and doing something about it.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Quitongo is pretty ineffective out wide, if he starts he has to play through the middle. Maybe go 4-5-1 with Forbes Murdoch and Tidser in the middle of the park, McHugh left and Thomson right?

McHugh out wide would be much worse than Quitongo. He was useless against QP on Tuesday from there. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I'll be interested to see if Duffy persists with the 4-3-3 for the Well game after 2 lacklustre performances against weak opposition. Hopefully he'll have seen enough of it to consign it to history with this squad.

4·3·3 with our current midfield options is a non starter unless we're playing a fairly weak side. It's basically giving away the midfield through lack of pace & numbers. I assume by now it's been accepted/ realised that it's not just a matter of time to adapt to the system. if you've no time on the ball in the middle you're going to be left with hoofball to bypass midfield with the ball coming straight back at you half the time.

Also im driving through to this one, i've never been to Fir park before does anyone have any parking suggestions or advice?

Watch out for those pesky locals scattering out the high-risers beside Airbles station like rats down a drain pipe.

Rumour has it a few posters on here still can't walk the streets later than 6pm because of the incidents of 10 years ago.

Watch out for those pesky locals scattering out the high-risers beside Airbles station like rats down a drain pipe.

Rumour has it a few posters on here still can't walk the streets later than 6pm because of the incidents of 10 years ago.

I don't blame people for being reluctant to wander down the lanes there, same with Hamilton. Not sure why you do.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't blame people for being reluctant to wander down the lanes there, same with Hamilton. Not sure why you do.

Where am I placing blame? Settle down fella. The original poster asked for some advice and I was happy to oblige.

And FWIW, it's a main road, not a lane.

Don't fancy us picking anything up here on Saturday. Hopefully we get rid of this 4-3-3 and can make a decent fist of it, Motherwell are no great shakes and shouldn't be feared.

Where am I placing blame? Settle down fella. The original poster asked for some advice and I was happy to oblige.

And FWIW, it's a main road, not a lane.

Don't fancy us picking anything up here on Saturday. Hopefully we get rid of this 4-3-3 and can make a decent fist of it, Motherwell are no great shakes and shouldn't be feared.

You were being snide about it, clearly.

EOho8Pw.png

Bring Him Home.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived