Scottish Cup: "rangers" Vs. The Famous (12 February 2017, 15:00) - Page 35 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scottish Cup: "rangers" Vs. The Famous (12 February 2017, 15:00)

TRVMP

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you think he was tentative at crosses today? I didn't.

And that was a reaction save at the second. Could have fallen to a defender and we wouldn't have been discussing this.

I'm a fan too and he's made mistakes in the past but not today, I though.

His reactions weren't good enough IMO. The ball is travelling at very little pace when it gets to him - a better goalkeeper gathers it or at least turns it behind for a corner.

No-one is claiming that Gaston is a gubbins, pub league goalkeeper but goals like the winner today and the second at Palmerston last week are the difference between an okay and genuinely good goalkeeper at our level.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Did you think he was tentative at crosses today? I didn't.

And that was a reaction save at the second. Could have fallen to a defender and we wouldn't have been discussing this.

I'm a fan too and he's made mistakes in the past but not today, I though.

Could have done better with the second but other than that thought he was good although his kicking is just embarrassing. If he played golf he would be losing golf balls for fun

Watched the game from the other side today unfortunately about 50 yards away from the ton section. Fans were brilliant ours that is.

We had a three or four year old behind us efen and blinding with his dad. Cute. Must be the Rangers way.

As others have said with Jai and Oliver playing we would probably have won it

Great effort however from a great bunch of lads

How did Peter Crouch miss that one....

I'm not convinced but agree that there was something very unsatisfactory about the goal. I think it was the defending prior to Gaston's 'save' that I'm more disappointed about.

If there was one piece of dreadful goalkeeping during the game then it was Foderingham at the end. Don't rate him at all but I don't care either.

Cunts having a go at Gaston have short memories. 'Ton would still be playing Stranraer and Peterhead if it wasn't for him.

In terms of today, his anticipation was excellent, not normally a trait in his play. I used to think he was screwed into his goal line. Second goal should have been cut out long before he got his hand on it. And even at that, it came too quickly to react. He was one of the top three performers today.

Gaston is capable of better than today. He's got his limits but I'm loathe to blame him any more than Nesbitt and Donnelly for failing to hit the target with their respective sitters. Really disappointed to see them bottle it at the crucial moment.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Gutted. That one was there for the taking. Fair play to the team though, everyone put in a shift and I don't think we can fault anyone for effort. Michael Tidser was terrific. Our best player today and his goal (as well as the run to get into the position) was fantastic.

The first goal we were a bit unlucky with the deflection, but still pretty weak defending. Second was a disaster and Gaston (who I thought had an otherwise good game) has to be doing better.

The chances for Nesbitt & Donnelly had to be taken, no doubt about it. I'd have been much more confident in Jai or Oliver doing so, but what can you do? Both of them overcomplicated what should have been certain goals and at a place like Ibrox (regardless of the state Rangers are in) you have to take advantage.

Unfortunately that's the worst I've seen Ross Forbes play for us, certainly in recent memory. His deliveries were abysmal and his lack of pace/inability to track back really hurt him today. A reminder of why he's still playing at this level with his ability. I won't be too harsh on him though given his contributions this season. It'd also be interesting to know if hd's still carrying a knock from the QOTS game.

Wasn't to be today, but we've got bigger fish to fry this season.

Gaston is capable of better than today. He's got his limits but I'm loathe to blame him any more than Nesbitt and Donnelly for failing to hit the target with their respective sitters. Really disappointed to see them bottle it at the crucial moment.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Gaston but both the others are rookies. You're right though, for Nesbitt to not even hit the target was particularly bad.

EOho8Pw.png

Thoughts later. Here are several good angles of our goal, and probably the other two - didn't watch that far.

http://youtu.be/QkcXfaELM7g

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Nesbitt should have taken a touch and slipped it past the keeper. Donnelly was closed down very quickly closed down and the better option, with the goal open, was to square it.

I have a feeling that Donnelly is a player that plays with his head down. Could be wrong though.

I'm more concerned about the defending which lead to the goals rather than Gaston, who pulled off a couple of cracking saves!

Miller never aloud him to drop it which meant he had to kick it long to Nesbitt, not exactly ideal.

Gats is a great gk for this level.

I'm more concerned about the defending which lead to the goals rather than Gaston, who pulled off a couple of cracking saves!

Miller never aloud him to drop it which meant he had to kick it long to Nesbitt, not exactly ideal.

Gats is a great gk for this level.

No he's not, he's ok.

Gaston had a decent game and one or two really good saves. He was beaten by a double deflection for the first and for the second the ball is struck from so close to him that there is always going to be an element of luck as to what he gets on it. Unfortunately it fell for the Rangers forward.

We obviously had the two clear chances which with a bit of composure we should have taken.

As has been said Forbes, for whatever reason had a very poor game; off the pace and not striking the ball at all well.

That doesn't take away from the fact that he has had an outstanding season and maybe he is still carrying a slight injury.

Tidser, Lindsay, and Murdoch put in a power of work and no one in the team could be faulted for effort.

We really missed Oliver very badly although Nesbit ran his heart out and caused what is a pretty poor Rangers defence all sorts of problems.

Doyle left the stadium on crutches although maybe only as a precaution.

We gave a very decent account of ourselves and now need to consolidate our play off place.

Archived