Thread About Ex Player - Page 426 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

42 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Where does the Lewis Strapp is too short thing come from? At 5ft11", he's as tall or taller than loads of other full backs we've had, and loads of full backs at a higher level. I didn't hear people questioning the height of Jamie Brandon or Liam Grimshaw. He's the same height as the likes of Paul McGinn and Stephen Kingsley and taller than the likes of Greg Taylor. Obviously sometimes managers like a really tall full back, but I can't seeing height as being a particular barrier here. 

Yeah it’s an unfathomable comment to make. Strapp is taller than two of our greatest ever full backs, Holmes and Hayes, plus the guy who replaced him, Waters. He’s also taller than two of Scotland’s greatest ever full backs, McGrain and Jardine, plus England’s current full backs Walker and Trippier. He’s probably one of the tallest full backs in Scottish, if not British football.

20 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Wash your keyboard out please.

Good shout. I'll never forget how incensed Bobby Thomson (re the sending off) was because of that bass feigning injury.I was in the stand that day, I'll never forget the rage towards him by all the fans about me. Bobby had to be dragged off the pitch twice! They named a stand after Jardine, should have been a theatre .

Edited by helensburghton
  • Upvote 2

On 9/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, SpoonTon said:

Where does the Lewis Strapp is too short thing come from? At 5ft11", he's as tall or taller than loads of other full backs we've had, and loads of full backs at a higher level. I didn't hear people questioning the height of Jamie Brandon or Liam Grimshaw. He's the same height as the likes of Paul McGinn and Stephen Kingsley and taller than the likes of Greg Taylor. Obviously sometimes managers like a really tall full back, but I can't seeing height as being a particular barrier here. 

There's no way he's as tall as 5ft 11. Wherever that's listed has to be an error. 

He's dwarfed by Reece Lyon in this photo, who can't be any taller than 6ft 1.

images (5).jpeg

According to Google, there's a 5cm difference between them. Not a chance. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hej said:

There's no way he's as tall as 5ft 11. Wherever that's listed has to be an error. 

He's dwarfed by Reece Lyon in this photo, who can't be any taller than 6ft 1.

images (5).jpeg

According to Google, there's a 5cm difference between them. Not a chance. 

Maybe. I also would've had Lyon as slightly taller than that - so I don't know about the accuracy of either. Strapp didn't look terribly small the times he played LCB (small for a centre back but not ridiculously so for the left side of a back 3), and he looks an average height for a full back. 

Looking at a few more pictures, maybe 5'9 or 10 might be more accurate for Strapp. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I liked Lewis a lot for his energy and commitment, and a fair amount of skill as well. But as I've mentioned a few times, his relative lack of height for a defender could limit his opportunities of playing at a higher level where a dominant aerial presence is a prerequisite. No idea of course if that is a factor in the reason he hasn't been snapped up yet, it could also simply be because he's still not yet fully fit, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. I'm sure he'll find another club eventually, but I suspect it will be at championship level, or lower.

I'm sure he do well wherever he ends up, and like all Ton fans I wish him well.

Does anyone else see the irony of CHC bemoaning anyone's 'lack of height'?

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is a 'Gourlay Free-Kick' moment, as i'm a bit out the loop nowadays but I saw this today:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ibroxnews.com/2023/10/20/rangers-unexpectedly-sacked-kitman-jim-mcalister/%3famp

Edit to add:

https://www.rangersrumours.co.uk/rangers-rumours/rangersrumours25527.php

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Michael Doyle played for Cove Rangers yesterday.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Couple of managerial moves, as Ian McCall replaces Brian MacLean as manager of Clyde, and Andy Graham takes his first steps into management with Alloa.

Chris Millar leaves Clyde after McCall's appointment.

On 11/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, Jamie_M said:

Chris Millar leaves Clyde after McCall's appointment.

And goes back to Troon juniors.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Playing or managing? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are