The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24 - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24

Toby

Speaking as someone who lives in Ingerlund, my only experience of free ponchos occurred at the Download Festival in 2019 following forecasts of biblical storms (which turned out to be correct). At the end of the festival, the site looked like the Somme, with most of the 70k fans having abandoned everything, leaving hundreds of tons of flooded-out tents, chairs, camping stuff and other detritus on the ground for the crew to spend the following month clearing up whilst wading through mud flowing down the arena incline like a river. A team of 20 tractors from nearby farms took two days to tow all of the site and public vehicles back onto terra firma. It took 11 months for the site to grass back over - just in time for the 2020 festival 70k to spend 2 hours trampling it all off again.

I'm sorry to say that £2 ponchos weren't a great help.

Edit = after thinking about this for an additional 10 seconds, I'm sure that the poncho suggestion was well-meaning. But in time, it would come to be spoken of in revered, hushed tones as 'the-most-tinpot-thing-ever-done-by-a-Scottish-fitba-team-in-the-history-of-the-game'. I can only imagine the reaction of a hardcore 25-stone 6'6" Midlothian thug (who'd blootered his XL Bully en route to Greenock) when offered a wafer-thin human-shaped bin liner to protect his impeccable coiffure from being spoiled.

Edited by SassenachTon

4 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Edit = after thinking about this for an additional 10 seconds, I'm sure that the poncho suggestion was well-meaning. But in time, it would come to be spoken of in revered, hushed tones as 'the-most-tinpot-thing-ever-done-by-a-Scottish-fitba-team-in-the-history-of-the-game'. I can only imagine the reaction of a hardcore 25-stone 6'6" Midlothian thug (who'd blootered his XL Bully en route to Greenock) when offered a wafer-thin human-shaped bin liner to protect his impeccable coiffure from being spoiled.

Thanks for letting me down gently SassenachTon, it's me naw you LOL.

Ah know the ponchos are a waste o' time, but I'm thinking we need to be able to provide a solution to the people or authorities who have previously stated that we need to accomodate all in the cowshed, hence the reduced capacity. At the same time, we're not in the 1970's and despite what you may think of the opposition fans being at Cappielow, we still need to provided a half decent fan experience and trying to keep people dry, should be close to the top of the list. And by that the same goes for our own fans in the Sinclair St end.

The bottom line is we need to maximize this opportunity by getting as many people through the turnstiles, no matter how useless the solution may be, which also needs to be cost effective and not bust the bank to make it happen.

Game at Wolves a few years back below.

https://www.alamy.com/fans-sit-in-temporary-rain-ponchos-during-the-premier-league-match-at-molineux-wolverhampton-picture-date-15th-december-2019-picture-credit-should-read-darren-staplessportimage-via-pa-images-image441047445.html?imageid=9F5C23DF-AC86-47ED-8D1A-71044D657000&p=1744078&pn=1&searchId=416d738ee061af74d22049ddb44c656c&searchtype=0

Solutions on a postcard please. 

Solution is a ground where everywhere is covered, but that’s not realistic and not even possible by 9th March. Presumably the authorities will be enforcing the same rule for every ground in Scotland from now on, which is bad news for a lot of clubs when they get a cup tie at home against a “big” club. Seems it’s now not allowed to let anyone get wet. Someone tell Arbroath.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, COL43 said:

If fans are not allowed to get wet in the Sinclair Street end, what about the Wee Dublin end? Stop away fans coming in case it rains? Or put them all in the stand?

I think the reasoning is that there is no means of separation between the Cowshed and the Sinclair Street end, so people can move freely between them.  The WDE can easily be isolated from the main stand and from the Cowshed.

Next thing will be someone raising concerns that if it's sunny, people will want to move from the Cowshed so they can be in the sun at the Sinclair St end...

• Upvote 1

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I think the reasoning is that there is no means of separation between the Cowshed and the Sinclair Street end, so people can move freely between them.  The WDE can easily be isolated from the main stand and from the Cowshed.

Next thing will be someone raising concerns that if it's sunny, people will want to move from the Cowshed so they can be in the sun at the Sinclair St end...

I had brought this up previously. In a number of different situations you can have fans trying to move between different areas (if there is a penalty shootout, for example, or even half time and the change of match direction can do it). And even without any other circumstances, you might have more people wanting to be in the Cowshed than the Sinclair Street end. If you are filling areas to capacity then any level of movement would be problematic - but that's never actually been a problem in the past. I see no reason why at a decently organised event you would have a problematic rush on any particular area of the ground and I see no reason why rain would be particularly problematic either. I don't know where this idea has come from or where the evidence behind it comes from either - it would be good to have that explained. 

I don't even think you'd need to sell different tickets for the Cowshed and Sinclair Street end. You'd just have to manage the areas and flow of people. Unless I'm missing something (which, if I am, I wish they'd explain), there's a non-existent problem that's been invented here. 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Unless I'm missing something (which, if I am, I wish they'd explain), there's a non-existent problem that's been invented here. 

I think you've nailed it. Why has this all of a sudden become an issue? It's not as if rain in Greenock is a new thing. And who made the decision.... did the club make it unilaterally, or was it imposed on us? If it's the latter, by whom? 

Would not be surprised if the QF ends up being the BBC Monday night slot. Just noticed that Aberdeen play midweek on the 13th in the league which rules them out of the Monday night. 

Can’t imagine the 2 games involving the OF will be the Monday either. 

22 minutes ago, DaftTon74 said:

Would not be surprised if the QF ends up being the BBC Monday night slot. Just noticed that Aberdeen play midweek on the 13th in the league which rules them out of the Monday night. 

Can’t imagine the 2 games involving the OF will be the Monday either. 

Kilmarnock fan on P&B claiming he’s ITK and their game vs Aberdeen will be midday on the Saturday. 
None of the ties in the last round were played on a Monday and given we have a game at home vs Dundee Utd on the Tuesday that week, a Sunday game would be the preferred option. 

Edited by Scott

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Kilmarnock fan on P&B claiming he’s ITK and their game vs Aberdeen will be midday on the Saturday. 
None of the ties in the last round were played on a Monday and given we have a game at home vs Dundee Utd on the Tuesday that week, a Sunday game would be the preferred option. 

Given that Sundays are shite, telling Dundee Utd to shift that midweek game and getting the Friday prime time slot again is the preferred option.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

8 hours ago, GiGi said:

Given that Sundays are shite, telling Dundee Utd to shift that midweek game and getting the Friday prime time slot again is the preferred option.

No need to move it, can play Tuesday/Friday.

1 hour ago, Ray Von said:

No need to move it, can play Tuesday/Friday.

Why should we compromise either our promotion prospects or cup prospects, when the SPFL let Dundee United and other outfits move their games based on convenience alone?

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We were never getting the Sunday slots if Viaplay were using them and early Saturday kickoffs are shite.

But leaving the far better Friday night or Saturday teatime slots on the table and choosing Monday instead is pish.

Edited by Jamie_M
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Give me Monday night over any of those time slots any day of the week (especially Monday) 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

Give me Monday night over any of those time slots any day of the week (especially Monday) 

Personally don't disagree. It's the swerving of Friday night ot Saturday teatime in favour of the Monday that I have an issue with.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Personally don't disagree. It's the swerving of Friday night ot Saturday teatime in favour of the Monday that I have an issue with.

I'm sure the BBC have their reasons for that whatever they may be. Would much rather both of them but not exactly raging at it. Cappielow under the lights was all I wanted and you can't convince me that there still won't be loads of people making a night of it on the Monday. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif