Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Stranraer (18th July) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Stranraer (18th July)

Admin

5 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Hardly anyone here plays FM. 

Things like "RB" are like still calling it "centre-half." Big baggy shorts, guys with rickets who smoke at half-time.

The game Football Manager. It has positions like DR and WBR instead of "RB" and shite like that.

Right.

I've guessed you realise I'm a tad too old for that stuff.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Boyd had a good game again. Tricky with a low centre of gravity, very hard working, quite pacey and found space to get shots away. 

Early days yet but he looks like another player that Imrie might be able to get the best out of despite their performances at previous clubs. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

29 minutes ago, Hej said:

O'Connor is a pretty decent right-back btw, on recent showings. Wouldn't mind him being our starter there so long as we've more cover either there or at CB

Been impressed with the number of times he seems to feature on clips of our goals, bombing up the right to set up chances with his cut backs.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Quite refreshing hearing from Andy especially when Imrie puts a lot of emphasis on how good he is and how closely they work together. Don’t mind him doing the League Cup stuff, and don’t see it as “there’s a problem with Dougie”.

A very professional performance last night. A key plus point was the desire and ability to win the ball back as quickly as possible from Stranraer, which kept them pinned back for long periods of the game. This was led by Crawford who was excellent but the whole team did that job very well - it would have been easy to lower our pressing standards last night, but the team didn't do that which was very pleasing.

Another positive was the patience shown by the players in posession against a well-organised (in open play at least) opposition. We didn't try to force passes through Stranraer too often and were content to wait for openings to inevitably present themselves. There was some rustiness and the pace of our attacking play could have been a little quicker but that's to be expected in the middle of July.

I'd have preferred to have seen Oakley and Murihead together to try and break through Stranraer's centre backs more directly than we managed at any point last night, but it's hard to argue against the degree of control we enjoyed and the final scoreline.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

A professional job last night, two games now previous Morton teams may have struggled to get the 3 points in. Good to see other sides around us not performing as expected to.

Thought Boyd and Crawford were excellent at winning the ball back. Muirhead put in a heck of a shift but would be expected with no Oakley who tends to do a lot of the work up top. Shout-out to Mullen, wasn't convinced on him signing but I enjoy his confidence with the ball at his feet and appears to have a good range of passing. 

A surprise for me is how Garrity has performed when coming off the bench. He looks hungry and looks another good option off the bench. 

I'd be happy to go with the back 4 that played last night going into the new season - hopefully Baird's injury isn't too bad - but we do need cover there, I'm sure that's Imrie's priority when the right player appears or funds are provided.

A new defender, goalkeeper and an extra body in the midfield would be my list of priorities in order to finalize the squad. We still have the loan market to look to as well. 

A result against County, providing we beat Edinburgh should see us through to the next round I imagine.

Defences on top in the other game in our group, with Kelty 5-3 up in Edinburgh.

Edit - Edinburgh City had Sam Ramsbottom in goal.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 1 month later...

Archived