Squad for next Season - Page 99 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

A trial is a trial at the end of the day so I'm not too fussed. Perhaps Dougie liked how forward he was and decided to give him a chance. 

From what I have gauged online from twitter and his YouTube channel documenting his trials etc, he got his first pro contract at 27, is now 30 and has been relegated at his last 3 clubs 😂

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

A trial is a trial at the end of the day so I'm not too fussed. Perhaps Dougie liked how forward he was and decided to give him a chance. 

From what I have gauged online from twitter and his YouTube channel documenting his trials etc, he got his first pro contract at 27, is now 30 and has been relegated at his last 3 clubs 😂

Having a look at his tiktok, he seems a pretty nice guy and works hard. If we can get him signed up cheap - he was playing in Wales so I don't imagine he'd be on much - I don't think being 4th choice centre back would be an awful bit of business. 

I reckon Imrie/Millen (seems like he meets Andy in a video) probably liked his hunger to show what he's got. 

Not saying we should sign him but another potential comedy character to add to the list.

Edit: hat trick for him against Annan tonight.

Edited by ChampTon

28 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Having a look at his tiktok, he seems a pretty nice guy and works hard. If we can get him signed up cheap - he was playing in Wales so I don't imagine he'd be on much - I don't think being 4th choice centre back would be an awful bit of business. 

I reckon Imrie/Millen (seems like he meets Andy in a video) probably liked his hunger to show what he's got. 

Not saying we should sign him but another potential comedy character to add to the list.

Edit: hat trick for him against Annan tonight.

He looks ideal if we need to bring on a big target man in the final 10 minutes to get a goal back. Other than that, pass. 

I obviously have no prior knowledge of this guy and how he actually played at that level, but if you're not good enough for the Welsh Premier then you're not good enough for Scotland's League Two.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Can't say I remember much about him. 

A forward who can play across the front line and played 40 games last season. Sounds promising. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

2 hours ago, dazza said:

I was disappointed to read in the Tele that Dougie reckons Airdrie can offer players more than us this season. Think we have maybe lost out on someone to them. 

Surely not.  Considering our healthy balance sheet and the fact our crowds are much bigger this is hard to fathom.

Steven Boyd.  Can't say I even remember him.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

3 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

At least give him a chance FFS

Unless of course you're referring to the guy from Wales? 

He might actually have a slightly better goal scoring record than Roy and hasn't played in Ireland. Sorry, he's definitely an upgrade.

But he's likely more being signed as a replacement for Miller. So, 4 signings in - we haven't made one apparent upgrade to our team yet.

Maybe Mullen will be excellent, maybe Boyd will score and assist a combined 25 goals. But so far, our signings have been utterly underwhelming.

• Downvote 3

Not going to doubt any Dougie signing without seeing him play, especially one he has played with and knows personally. If he thinks Boyd is good enough then I happy with it. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

7 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Surely not.  Considering our healthy balance sheet and the fact our crowds are much bigger this is hard to fathom.

He also said our budget is basically the same as last season. His point was more than other teams have come in to the league and offer more than us for competing players but he also said that about the teams who left the league and we managed to field a strong squad by the end of the season that could compete with any of them.

• Upvote 1

32.gif

I was hoping after last season the improved sponsorship deals, more MCT members and higher season tickets would allow us to kick on but so far most signings look to be a downgrade. Boyd scored one goal in over 40 games last year so prospects for him sharing the load appear slim. I also struggle with the Airdrie pay more than us chat, it does not stack up unless they are spending more than you would expect them to bring in. Hopefully a run in the cup will dispel my negativity. 

2 hours ago, dazza said:

I was disappointed to read in the Tele that Dougie reckons Airdrie can offer players more than us this season. Think we have maybe lost out on someone to them. 

23 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

This surprises me too, but lets remember that crowd size & money in the bank may not necessarily translate into higher budget.  It's possible that we are being cautious with the budget we give the manager this season where others may be sailing a bit closer to the wind in terms of spending.  In other words, having a lower budget doesn't mean we can afford less

9 minutes ago, HamCam said:

I was hoping after last season the improved sponsorship deals, more MCT members and higher season tickets would allow us to kick on but so far most signings look to be a downgrade. Boyd scored one goal in over 40 games last year so prospects for him sharing the load appear slim. I also struggle with the Airdrie pay more than us chat, it does not stack up unless they are spending more than you would expect them to bring in. Hopefully a run in the cup will dispel my negativity. 

Suppose a lot of it depends on how they are "spinning" season ticket sales.

Have we actually taken money for 1000 season tickets or, have we taken money for, let's say, 750 season tickets with 250 under 12 tickets. That would make a fair difference to the actual income.

Also the initial dalrada investment was supposed to help see us through until the end of next season so the club should really be making sure that we have a decent amount of the profits from last season saved up should a second round of that investment fail to materialise, given how perilous the finances seemed before they came on board. 

A similar playing budget to last season, improving infrastructure at the club and hopefully we hear something about the space purchased behind the cowshed going in to the league season is all still a reason to feel pleasantly hopeful going in to the new season. 

• Upvote 2

32.gif