Commercial Activity - Page 98 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I've suggested the following via email to Dale, as yet I've had no reply, but given he's probably been involved in contract negotiations and the turnstile issue I'm not about to kick up a fuss about that.

My proposal is that they remove three rows of the breeze block wall at the back of the Cowshed in front of the toilets and pie stall, and replace them with perspex windows, thereby allowing those queuing to still see the game while they wait.

The wall in its current form does not support any of the shed roof and therefore should have no impact on the structure itself.

As far as I can see, this shouldn't be to expensive to do and would enhance the overall match day experience.  How many of us have missed an important period of play or goal, while queuing?

I know this was suggested sometime ago but never taken forward for whatever reason. 

Been saying that for ages.  Don't really need the perspex windows.  Might need a horizontal rail along the top of the remaining blockwork though, to act as a horizontal support rail as the remaining blockwork will become a freestanding wall whereas at the moment it might be propped at the top by the roof structure.  Simple and cheap change that would make a huge difference.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

6 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Been saying that for ages.  Don't really need the perspex windows.  Might need a horizontal rail along the top of the remaining blockwork though, to act as a horizontal support rail as the remaining blockwork will become a freestanding wall whereas at the moment it might be propped at the top by the roof structure.  Simple and cheap change that would make a huge difference.

When I looked it at the Partick game, there's 4-5" gap at the top of the current wall and the shed roof. Maybe require a rail along the top of the wall where the blocks would be removed and a vertical central support to strengthen any new window installation. 

Edited by The Bewilderedbeast

I've no problem at all where the camera goes so long as its anywhere but the main stand.  It makes us look like a junior outfit. Hampered view and the atmosphere is dreadful. It's all about maximising the cowshed set up.

I realise I may have posted this on the wrong thread but I'm just in from a work night out.

Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place for it but:

https://gmfc.net/tons-150th-anniversary-to-receive-civic-receptions/

In July Inverclyde Council will host a civic reception for our sesquicentennial. 

Perhaps more interestingly, Holyrood will host one, under the auspices of Stuart McMillan MSP, in October - the first time a football club will have a parliamentary reception in Scotland.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

£18 per game. That's a decent deal for non-season ticket holders. An imaginative incentive which shows that Commercial are doing their best to get bums on seats. 100% to be commended.

Edit = Good to see Grant Gillespie looking so happy on the flyer. He's probably thinking about that 94th minute penalty he's going to score so we beat Hearts and get to the semis.

Edited by SassenachTon
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Sold out within a couple of hours. I was waiting to find out if any of my pals wanted to go and missed out! Bigger venue needed here, they've plenty of time to source one.

Sold out?  This is the first I've heard of it!

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Looks like it is was advertised on social media only, so if you're not on there and on the ball, you'll have missed it.

I came off all socal media months ago.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

22 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I came off all socal media months ago.

5 years for me now. I can honestly say that I haven't missed any of that whole toxic circus for as much as a microsecond.

• Like 1

I understand why it's not - presumably it's candid - but I wish this was screened online for those of us overseas. Hopefully someone on here takes some notes. 

EOho8Pw.png

I was very impressed when I heard the attendance last night being announced (4,175 with about 250 Morton fans).  At the moment we could only dream of getting close to 4k home fans on a regular basis.  The only times we have got into that territory this season was for the games against Partick & Motherwell, and on both occasions the away support was a big factor. 

Looking at historic average attendances over the past 10 years, our fanbase during that time looks to be of a very similar size to Raith (from season 2012-13 to 2022-23 our average gate was 1,945 and Raith's 1,984, albeit they spent a couple more seasons in League 1 than we did).  This season they have somehow managed to increase their average attendance by over 2k from last season.  Even if you remove the derby against Dunfermline & 2 home games against Dundee Utd, their home average is still over 3K!

It makes me wonder what (if anything) we could do to try and emulate this.  Over the course of the season, this extra gate money could be worth up to 350K (based on the assumption of an increase of 2000 fans at £10 per person) - a serious amount of cash for a club at this level.  I don't think its solely down to them having a good season -  Raith have over 2000 season ticket holders so that is a significant number of people who made the commitment even before the season started.

As far as I can see, they haven't been dropping their pants too much on ticket prices either(notwithstanding the excellent £10 price for last nights game) - I think their season tickets are about the same price as ours so I would like to see us look at how Raith have managed to be so successful in promoting ticket sales & try to see if we can learn any lessons from it.

I suppose the elephant in the room is that prior to MCT takeover, fan-club relations were at quite possibly an all time low.  Great progress has been made in repairing that, but maybe it will take a bit more time for goodwill to get back to anywhere near the levels it was in the early 2000's. 

(I have put this in here as opposed to the match thread as its a wider point about the clubs commercial operation rather than specific to last nights game)

39 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

I was very impressed when I heard the attendance last night being announced (4,175 with about 250 Morton fans).  At the moment we could only dream of getting close to 4k home fans on a regular basis.  The only times we have got into that territory this season was for the games against Partick & Motherwell, and on both occasions the away support was a big factor. 

Looking at historic average attendances over the past 10 years, our fanbase during that time looks to be of a very similar size to Raith (from season 2012-13 to 2022-23 our average gate was 1,945 and Raith's 1,984, albeit they spent a couple more seasons in League 1 than we did).  This season they have somehow managed to increase their average attendance by over 2k from last season.  Even if you remove the derby against Dunfermline & 2 home games against Dundee Utd, their home average is still over 3K!

It makes me wonder what (if anything) we could do to try and emulate this.  Over the course of the season, this extra gate money could be worth up to 350K (based on the assumption of an increase of 2000 fans at £10 per person) - a serious amount of cash for a club at this level.  I don't think its solely down to them having a good season -  Raith have over 2000 season ticket holders so that is a significant number of people who made the commitment even before the season started.

As far as I can see, they haven't been dropping their pants too much on ticket prices either(notwithstanding the excellent £10 price for last nights game) - I think their season tickets are about the same price as ours so I would like to see us look at how Raith have managed to be so successful in promoting ticket sales & try to see if we can learn any lessons from it.

I suppose the elephant in the room is that prior to MCT takeover, fan-club relations were at quite possibly an all time low.  Great progress has been made in repairing that, but maybe it will take a bit more time for goodwill to get back to anywhere near the levels it was in the early 2000's. 

(I have put this in here as opposed to the match thread as its a wider point about the clubs commercial operation rather than specific to last nights game)

I think it's simply down to their takeover in the summer and throwing cash about like Gretna did.

Fans don't need much to buy into a project so when they are signing right good players on 2-3 year contracts they quickly bought in. On top of that, they made improvements to their stadium,improved their communication channels and social media presence etc so their whole summer was one good news story after another and their fans believed something special could happen.

To be fair to them, the money they spend in the summer has probably been covered by the increase in average gates so their gamble worked. Doubt they expected an average of 4 2k 

I'd like to think we will have something similar this Summer. Money in the bank to make some infrastructure improvements, , a clear focus and strategy and hopefully an increased budget for Dougie to bring in some good players.

I think it's practically impossible for us to have 3-4000 inside Cappielow any time soon but 2000 home fans should be the absolute minimum target.

• Upvote 1

Inverclyde is an area struggling in many ways and encouraging new fans along is a major challenge. I have always believed success on the park is the most important factor. I am not sure how much more the Club can do but that does not mean it should not try. At least, at the moment, there appears to be momentum to ensure GMFC is central in the community and hopefully this will slowly result in improved attendances. 

• Upvote 2