Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 79 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair comment, but this is the first season under the new 'break even' and 'not subsidising' regime, the first principle of which is you only commit money that you either have already received or are sure to get through existing revenue streams.

What has any of that got to do with a no-brainer* contract extension? You're floundering badly here because there's no logical strand to your argument whatsoever. 

* so Iron Man would let it run down and take a worthless sell-on clause instead

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Fair comment, but this is the first season under the new 'break even' and 'not subsidising' regime, the first principle of which is you only commit money that you either have already received or are sure to get through existing revenue streams.

We haven't used all our first team budget (based on the fact we have been desperately seeking even before MCT money).

So the money was there to increase Lyon's wages (if that indeed happened, which you assume it did but it is likely to be a modest increase anyway).

And allocating for the extra year is again an easy decision when we have nobody signed that long anyway.

That’s fantastic news. Good to see the club actively tying players with potential down rather than only starting to think about it in March - hopefully we can start building a core to remain in place for a few seasons meaning we’re not looking for an entire squad on an annual basis.

Obviously one year contracts will remain the norm which is only sensible for a club at our level, but with players at Lyon’s age who’ve shown that level of quality it’s great to sign them up earlier. If we can get Strapp signed on a longer contract too then brilliant, and even if we do lose them rather than having them stick around for years it can be for a credible transfer fee rather than another Tiffoney/Quitongo situation.

Much more impressed by Lyon & Strapp than I ever was was by Tiffoney/Quitongo. They seem to be hard workers, without the massive egos/lack of intelligence that the other pair had.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Much more impressed by Lyon & Strapp than I ever was was by Tiffoney/Quitongo. They seem to be hard workers, without the massive egos/lack of intelligence that the other pair had.

They'll both be a bit more content with their young lives after the Zhivago seal of approval.

*insert signature here*

From the daily record: Morton could land Hibs centre back Kosovar Sadiki on loan with the 20 year old set go under the microscope of Cappielow manager David Hopkin on trial.

German born Sadiki, who moved with his parents to Canada before he was one year old has played for the Canadian under-23 side whilst also being eligible to play for Germany, Albania and Kosovo, joined the Easter Road club in January when Neil Lennon was in charge from Croatian side NK Lokomotiva Zagreb after a spell as a trialist.

Sadiki was involved in the youth programmes at Stoke City and Queen’s Park Rangers before spending a year in Zagreb ahead of joining of joining the capital city club where he has still to make his top team debut.

Hopkin is keen to strengthen his pool and will have a look at Sadiki in training however a number of other clubs are monitoring Sadiki’s availability.

Hadn’t heard of the guy before seeing that so can’t comment, but glad we’re taking him on trial first rather than panicking, giving him a wage for the sake of it and ending up with another Van Schaik. He obviously wouldn’t be able to play this Saturday anyway so makes sense to get a proper look at him in training rather than rushing in.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Sounds like a Balkans Henk Van Shite. 

Can we not just sign somebody that's actually played professional football before? 

These descriptions just give me the fear now. I'm sure there's some good players who have floated about the place without ever playing, but we never seem to get them.

AWMSC

Ah, that makes a bit more sense.

I’m assuming Hull’s U23 captain was a dud? Colour me shocked.

Remember when Falkirk signed that absolute world-beater, the Chelsea captain in the U23 "league" and he turned out to be worse* than wee Scottish guys who played schools football?

I do think that signing players who come through top-level youth systems is in theory a very good idea, but the problem is that a lot of people in football are taken in purely by the team name. "Ooh, he was with a Dutch club, that means wee pitches and a good first touch, he'll definitely be able to judge the flight of a ball over the top." 

Hence looking at these guys but giving them a trial, rather than just throwing contracts at them, is the way to go.

*now under contract at Jack Ross' Sunderland. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer who'll come good in the end, a sort of English Shankland. We'll see.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived