Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 75 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

He's 100% correct to be fair.

That's going to tend to be correct, but it isn't always. Ricki Lamie, for example, was pretty much universally panned as a signing (and was derided as awful by Airdrie fans). He was a poorly performing player at a poor level with very little evidence that he would become a good player for us. But yeah, signings like Blues and Orsi are long shots (and questionable as to the value of those risks).

Although I'd say that it's likely that Hopkin had been tracking these players since he was the Livi boss.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not suggesting he may not turn out to be right. Only that I don't think it is fair to be slating a new signing after 20 minutes on the pitch.

Financially, this is where we are.

Hopkin seems to know the boy.

Neither him nor Orsi have been signed to go straight into the starting 11. If that were case then it would be a different matter.

My gripe is why sign them at all when the budget is so tight? Given their career trajectory I struggle to believe we couldn't find better.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Not sure how much we will be paying Blues since he is a loan signing. Remember reading that one of last year's loans wages were covered entirely by the parent club (may have been Dallas or kiltie)

Must admit that Orsi is an odd signing. Seeing him on Sunday, he is a big lad. Maybe signed as cover for more than one position up front?

Not sure how much we will be paying Blues since he is a loan signing. Remember reading that one of last year's loans wages were covered entirely by the parent club (may have been Dallas or kiltie)

Must admit that Orsi is an odd signing. Seeing him on Sunday, he is a big lad. Maybe signed as cover for more than one position up front?

Yet we have burned one of our available loan slots on him. On someone who is 'not signed to go straight into our starting 11', who will likely 'play in the reserves'.

The fact that he is a loan makes it an even more woeful signing.

I am not suggesting he may not turn out to be right. Only that I don't think it is fair to be slating a new signing after 20 minutes on the pitch.

I'm not interested in being fair; I'm only interested in the facts. This is a forum discussing the prospects of the club, not some positive thinking, happy-clap session for terminally dung footballers. 

And somehow I doubt that if a new signing rattled in a hat trick after 20 minutes that you'd be cautioning against any judgment as well. It only seems to be unfair or cruel when the player in question happens to be i) dung and ii) playing for Morton - otherwise it's fair game for comment. Funny how that works. 

Financially, this is where we are.

That's just not true. This is a full-time professional football club, that charges £300 a pop for season tickets and is just about to receive yet more income from the fans from the MCT scheme. The manager and the club should be able to put together a credible squad with those resources. Squandering any of those resources at all on some bottom of League Two level haddy simply makes that task harder, not easier.

Hopkin seems to know the boy.

Not to any significant degree, given that Hopkin had already walked out at Livingston before he signed. Not that this would matter anyway, as David Hopkin is not actually some infallible genius who couldn't sign a haddy or two in the transfer window. 

Neither him nor Orsi have been signed to go straight into the starting 11. If that were case then it would be a different matter.

No it isn't, because these 'squad players' (i.e. a euphemism for 'being dung right now') are paid from the same pool of money that we need to get two more centre backs and greater quality elsewhere in the first team if possible. So while they shouldn't be held to the exact same standard as, say, Aidan Nesbitt, they should still have enough about them to show that they can compete for a first team place very soon and are better than whatever regen we could have taken from the development squad for no outlay whatsoever. There is nothing about either Orsi or Blues to suggest that they can do that, so they are terrible signings even by a 'squad player' metric. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'll be there in spirit.

Fair play to the club for not hiding during a time when they're cutting the budget. And charging to get in isn't a problem as I doubt the Beacon is free.

EOho8Pw.png

The league cup starting as early as it does and not allowing trialists must play a part in the panic signing of dross for sides without a lot of money to spend, exacerbated by having next to no signed players from the previous season.

The League Cup has started at the same point in the calendar and under the same rules for several years. The only thing to blame for clubs panic signing absolute dross is piss-poor management from the boardroom level, through the manager, down to whatever bumbling clown is allowed to actually 'pick winners' from Alfreton Town. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Thought he was happy just using his fists.

In seriousness he's due to stand trial in October. Innocent until proven guilty n'at but it's still not a good look. You'd have to think that, if he did return, any contract past his trial date would be contingent on his not being found guilty.

EOho8Pw.png

In seriousness he's due to stand trial in October. Innocent until proven guilty n'at but it's still not a good look. You'd have to think that, if he did return, any contract past his trial date would be contingent on his not being found guilty.

Whether appropriately or not a number of footballers have been found guilty of crimes, got a non-custodial sentences , and continued to play (Paul McGowan being the most obvious example). If Quitongo is available on a lowish wage then he would give us another option.

However under no circumstances should he be signed at the expense of a couple of quality defenders.

Archived