Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 74 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twenty minutes is more than enough to tell whether a footballer is totally dung or not: David Irons was, as usual, 100% correct on that matter. But in this case there's also his ghost like performance 'anchoring' Berwick's midfield during their 0-7, two leg evisceration by Cove Rangers in May, and a completely dung CV as well.

It's not really a tough call at all tbh.

So not much then.

Brian Wake's CV wasn't the best either was it?

I seem to remember Hamilton fans being pretty disparaging about him.

I just don't see the point in absolutely dismissing a player based on not that much.

So not much then.

I seem to remember Hamilton fans being pretty disparaging about him.

I just don't see the point in absolutely dismissing a player based on not that much.

Wake was rotten when he first arrived from what I recall.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I have no idea. I have no idea who he even is. But I am more than happy to state that he is a woeful signing.

So you have no idea who he is but still reckon he is a woeful signing?

Based on what I have seen so far of our squad I wouldn't imagine he would be in the starting 11. I would assume then, that he would be a squad player who will be playing in the reserve league.

If he is a squad player and is able to break into the starting 11, that would make him a very good signing. If he makes any contribution off the bench, then he will be a decent signing.

I have no idea what sort of wage he is on, or in fact what Hopkin's expectations are for him, so based on that, I am not sure how we can come to the conclusion as of 31st July, when he has had precisely 0 minutes of game time, that he is a woeful signing.

So you have no idea who he is but still reckon he is a woeful signing?

Based on what I have seen so far of our squad I wouldn't imagine he would be in the starting 11. I would assume then, that he would be a squad player who will be playing in the reserve league.

If he is a squad player and is able to break into the starting 11, that would make him a very good signing. If he makes any contribution off the bench, then he will be a decent signing.

I have no idea what sort of wage he is on, or in fact what Hopkin's expectations are for him, so based on that, I am not sure how we can come to the conclusion as of 31st July, when he has had precisely 0 minutes of game time, that he is a woeful signing.

Yes. It's not a stretch to conclude that a player who didn't even stand out in THAT Brechin squad, is unlikely to contribute much at the level we hope to be operating at. To the subject that started this debate, Blues, he couldn't even get into that Brechin team.

We have slashed the budget this year. We don't have space in the squad and budget for hopeful projects that might not contribute, just play in the reserves. If he's not competing for a starting slot by being of the required level, he's a woeful signing.*

He's a woeful signing.

So not much then.

More than enough actually. Indeed I was at the second leg of that Berwick play-off and there wasn't a single player on either side who looked good enough for this level; and had you said that we'd end up signing anyone from that Berwick 'team' for this season, I'd have considered it to be either a bad windup or a sick joke. There was literally no standout from that heap of utter shit; their entire midfield was hopelessly out of its depth against a Highland League side. 

Brian Wake's CV was entirely appropriate for the level he was playing at, having made more than 130 appearances across the English and Scottish leagues - this ringer's is not. They're not even remotely comparable signings. 

No, you just don't want people to use rational judgment if the player in question happens to sign for Morton rather than Alloa or Partick Thistle. Meanwhile, back in the realm of reality, Morton will continue to sign some total haddies under Hopkin just like they have under any other manager and fans really don't need to hum and haw over 15 dud appearances to work out who they are in the current squad.

Hint: it's not Aidan Nesbitt.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Let's not forget that people had a similar tantrum earlier this month when hotshot trialist Ryan 'Jobber' McGeever was cruelly tagged as 'obviously fucking dung' based on unfair and incomplete metrics like 'track record' and 'previous showings', only for that tag to instantly verified by him shipping goals for fun in that useless rabble of a Dumbarton defence. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well, Hopkin clearly likes him based on more than one playoff game.

Blues signed for Livingston in June 2018 off the back of a 14 game loan spell at Edinburgh City.

He has then had 2 loan spells last season something that is pretty common.

Is this not the model that many, admittedly not yourself, have been espousing? Ie bringing in good players from other youth set ups?

I just don't get why you would completely dismiss a loan signing on the basis that you have.

Also this, we are signing players from shit teams so they must be shit, logic is also baffling.

Well, Hopkin clearly likes him based on more than one playoff game.

Blues signed for Livingston in June 2018 off the back of a 14 game loan spell at Edinburgh City.

Hopkin had already left Livingston by the time that they signed this jobber then. 

Is this not the model that many, admittedly not yourself, have been espousing? Ie bringing in good players from other youth set ups?

There's absolutely no evidence to demonstrate that this is a 'good player from another youth setup' here. We're not dealing with someone who has been loaned out at Championship or even League One level on a regular basis: Edinburgh City finished 9th in League Two in 2017/18; Berwick 10th and relegated as one of the worst sides in Scottish football history last season.  

That's not even remotely a credible track record to merit a place at this once-proud football club, playing at a vastly superior level. 

Also this, we are signing players from shit teams so they must be shit, logic is also baffling.

Players who play exclusively for shite teams and show nothing of value even at that monumentally dung level are quite clearly shite themselves. That's some straightforward and entirely logical fact-based analysis; that it doesn't jive with your wishful thinking and special pleading is really not my problem. 

Difficult to really judge Riston (obviously) and him being the captain of the U23s means nothing. Level of football just isn’t comparable as we saw with the boy Falkirk got from Chelsea.

Glad we’re looking in England though. I’d much rather take a risk on someone with a bit of potential than the likes of McGeever.

Hopkin had already left Livingston by the time that they signed this jobber then.

There's absolutely no evidence to demonstrate that this is a 'good player from another youth setup' here. We're not dealing with someone who has been loaned out at Championship or even League One level on a regular basis: Edinburgh City finished 9th in League Two in 2017/18; Berwick 10th and relegated as one of the worst sides in Scottish football history last season.

That's not even remotely a credible track record to merit a place at this once-proud football club, playing at a vastly superior level.

Players who play exclusively for shite teams and show nothing of value even at that monumentally dung level are quite clearly shite themselves. That's some straightforward and entirely logical fact-based analysis; that it doesn't jive with your wishful thinking and special pleading is really not my problem.

😂😂 Aye, right ye are then!

Difficult to really judge Riston (obviously) and him being the captain of the U23s means nothing. Level of football just isn’t comparable as we saw with the boy Falkirk got from Chelsea.

Glad we’re looking in England though. I’d much rather take a risk on someone with a bit of potential than the likes of McGeever.

He has now signed for Sunderland, believe it or not. When you have a good academy on your resume you can fail upwards.

EOho8Pw.png

He's 100% correct to be fair.

I am not suggesting he may not turn out to be right. Only that I don't think it is fair to be slating a new signing after 20 minutes on the pitch.

Financially, this is where we are.

Hopkin seems to know the boy.

Neither him nor Orsi have been signed to go straight into the starting 11. If that were case then it would be a different matter.

Archived