January Transfer Window Thread - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having players in on trial or training doesn't really bother me too much tbh, if they're professional and train well then it doesn't do any harm. The extra bodies probably help for a lot of excercises and bounce games.

It annoys me because we’re supposed to be running a professional football club based on merit here, rather than a glorified social club for local journeymen. How many other football clubs at a serious level open their doors to absolute ringers to train with their first team? If they take part in a bounce game and end up injuring a first team player by accident, what is the benefit to the club from that?

If a player has nothing to offer to the club then they shouldn’t darken our door. It’s that straightforward.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

So he's played for:

Union University (NCAA II, i.e. one of the lowest levels of college soccer)

Little Rock Rangers (NPSL, i.e. level four of US soccer)

Sounders U-23 (USL, i.e. level three of US soccer. I can't find his having made an appearance for them)*

Eintracht Bad Kreuznach (Verbandsliga Suedwest, i.e. level six of German soccer.)

Looks like 12 appearances, all as starts, with three goals in the league this season.

*edit: my mistake, he made two appearances for Sounders U-23 in the 2018 season, for a total of 92 minutes played.

Apparently he grew up in Livingston.

He may be able to do a job for us. Keep an open mind, give a fair chance etc.

*insert signature here*

It annoys me because we’re supposed to be running a professional football club based on merit here, rather than a glorified social club for local journeymen. How many other football clubs at a serious level open their doors to absolute ringers to train with their first team? If they take part in a bounce game and end up injuring a first team player by accident, what is the benefit to the club from that?

If a player has nothing to offer to the club then they shouldn’t darken our door. It’s that straightforward.

Pretty much every team in the world will have players in for training without any intentions of signing them. Arsenal, for example, have had Beckham and Henry joining them.

It really isn't a big deal.

AWMSC

Pretty much every team in the world will have players in for training without any intentions of signing them. Arsenal, for example, have had Beckham and Henry joining them.

Aye, it's the done thing with teams. Doesn't do any harm to anyone letting someone join in training to keep their fitness up.

David Beckham and Thierry Henry are of a slightly different stature to Robbie Crawford and a bunch of junior/German sixth tier dross though. The latter offer us absolutely nothing so why are they there at all?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Aye, it's the done thing with teams. Doesn't do any harm to anyone letting someone join in training to keep their fitness up.

Unless of course they injure and quite literally harm a first team player in the process. And last time that I checked, GMFC is supposed to be a professional football team and not a parochial social club for dung footballers anyway. If they offer nothing to the club then ship them out.

Unless of course they injure and quite literally harm a first team player in the process. And last time that I checked, GMFC is supposed to be a professional football team and not a parochial social club for dung footballers anyway. If they offer nothing to the club then ship them out.

That's a good point mate.

If a player is badly injured by someone not employed by the club in training, is the player covered by the clubs insurance?

Having a player who isn't signed will have little impact on the probability of injuries being incurred. I'd guess their role is limited anyway and that they'd mostly just be doing fitness work and being human traffic cones for the actual squad.

Again, if the guy comes in, behaves himself and works hard and isn't disrupting the sessions then it's really not an issue at all. It happens at every club.

AWMSC

Having a player who isn't signed will have little impact on the probability of injuries being incurred. I'd guess their role is limited anyway and that they'd mostly just be doing fitness work and being human traffic cones for the actual squad.

Again, if the guy comes in, behaves himself and works hard and isn't disrupting the sessions then it's really not an issue at all. It happens at every club.

Injuries are indeed part and parcel of training - which is a risk you have to take if you’re dealing with two signed squad players doing their paid job. Why should we take the same risk of letting some gubbins ringer accidentally take out a first team player though? What benefit does that scenario offer to the club? Be specific.

The only non-defence that you’ve offered is that ‘it happens everywhere in football’. Which is bollocks. There’s nothing to suggest that other clubs up and down the country are actually handing out training facilities to fully five ringers outside their signed squad at a time.

This is a symptom of a club that acts as a glorified social club rather than a genuinely professional outfit.

Edit - wrong thread.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Oft, aye totally gutted by that trail of tears left by some absolute non-entity at this once-proud club.

Truly gutted m8.

I fear JJ will make signings as inspiring as Shiels and it will

Be a total rebuild next season.

The team should be built around Tidser.

The club must empty the Finnish clown and that dick Houston as well and give all power to Brian Wake.

Looks like we've lost out on a local boy (whether you agree or not). Harkins apparently leaving Queens as well

Surprised at that if it's correct.  I'd have him back at Cappielow for the second half of the season.  Said to lack pace but he did seem to be able to turn on the afterburners when he needed to.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived