January Transfer Window Thread - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we have ever made a 4-3-3 formation work; regardless of the manager, it has always turned into two sand-dancing wingers playing thirty yards away from a centre-forward who gets easily covered by the opposition centre-backs. It should be permanently binned as a formation at this club.

There is no reason why a 3-5-2 shouldn't work with right personnel. Having control of midfield and a functioning strike partnership will get you far at this level and that is the best formation to achieve both. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

So he's played for:

Union University (NCAA II, i.e. one of the lowest levels of college soccer)

Little Rock Rangers (NPSL, i.e. level four of US soccer)

Sounders U-23 (USL, i.e. level three of US soccer. I can't find his having made an appearance for them)*

Eintracht Bad Kreuznach (Verbandsliga Suedwest, i.e. level six of German soccer.)

Looks like 12 appearances, all as starts, with three goals in the league this season.

*edit: my mistake, he made two appearances for Sounders U-23 in the 2018 season, for a total of 92 minutes played.

Apparently he grew up in Livingston.

EOho8Pw.png

MacLean suggested that the change to a 3-5-2 was at Houston's behest to try to tighten the defence up.

I'm not convinced the 4-3-3 was the problem itself though, as much as that it was a disjointed, unorganised mess. At the time McKeown in particular was playing well, so was MacLean so with a bit of imagination there were options to get lots of players up the park and to defend high up but none of that really happened.

At this point there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice but to see who comes and what Johansson does with them, but there's not a great deal to suggest that he's suddenly going to learn the concept of "tactics".

MacLean and McKeown were really poor in the 5-0 defeat to Ross County. MacLean in particular didn't bother himself that day and was hooked after an hour. We changed to the back 5 after that and won the next 2 games.

I thought we need to do something to tighten things up. In any case I don't think MacLean is trusted to do his defensive job.

MacLean and McKeown were really poor in the 5-0 defeat to Ross County. MacLean in particular didn't bother himself that day and was hooked after an hour. We changed to the back 5 after that and won the next 2 games.

I thought we need to do something to tighten things up. In any case I don't think MacLean is trusted to do his defensive job.

Aye, fair point. I was actually meaning at the start of the season rather than further in: the first few games under McKinnon and the Partick one, there were parts of it that were clicking into place and working well, so I don't think it's really accurate to say it's an inherently unworkable system. 

AWMSC

So he's played for:

Union University (NCAA II, i.e. one of the lowest levels of college soccer)

Little Rock Rangers (NPSL, i.e. level four of US soccer)

Sounders U-23 (USL, i.e. level three of US soccer. I can't find his having made an appearance for them)*

Eintracht Bad Kreuznach (Verbandsliga Suedwest, i.e. level six of German soccer.)

Looks like 12 appearances, all as starts, with three goals in the league this season.

*edit: my mistake, he made two appearances for Sounders U-23 in the 2018 season, for a total of 92 minutes played.

Apparently he grew up in Livingston.

This guy sounds magic. The half season tickets will be flying off the shelf.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

This guy sounds magic. The half season tickets will be flying off the shelf.

I have no idea about the standard of the German sixth tier (and I imagine it varies widely across its 21 regional divisions) but looking at it unscientifically, most teams in this particular area of the country seem to have gates of between 100 and 200, which would put them non-league in Scotland. As I say, that's massively unscientific (especially given that Scotland has some of the best attendances and indeed participation rates in the world) but it's fair to say we're not dealing with massive clubs here. Probably part-time at best.

Nonetheless our most successful recent expert - Bachirou - was playing in tier 4 in France, which is two men and a dug territory.

But with that said, I'm going to say that a guy who grew up in Scotland but ended up in the US fourth division (which is, to put it mildly, of dreadful quality) is nowhere near the required standard. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

EOho8Pw.png

Shocked that the usual bunch of gubbins ringers have replaced ‘Finnish international cracks’ in TTGJ’s contacts book tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I see that absolute waste of skin Robbie Crawford has also returned as part of the club’s current ‘let’s give any local jobber full training facilities and a trial’ program.

Archived