Squad For Next Season. - Page 184 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad For Next Season.

Madton

Disappointed Gunning is gone but we do have natural cover there so no major concern. Up front is the main priority as in reality we have been short of a recognised striker. Don't know who we can bring in but I have faith in the duff.

Cheers for the memories Gavin Gunning

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always think of Grimsby as a sort of English version of Peterhead.  When I hear the word "Grimsby", the first thing that comes into my head is "Pilchards", a legacy of watching Hancock's Half Hour when I was young.  Google it if that means absolutely nothing to you...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Showing your youth?  Grimsby were regularly in the second tier before doing something similar to Luton.

'Being in the second tier' is not a credible achievement.

Also, the Grimsby/Cleethorpes area has over 150,000 people in it. Inverclyde has around half that. Even if you add some of some of North Ayrshire to the mix we're still a smaller catchment area.

Grimsby/Cleethorpes has just under 130,000 - not that this figure makes their crap football team any more relevant though. The comfortable majority of the local inhabitants ignore them and support any other team: without having even the flimsy excuse that bigotry lends to the same pattern north of the border.

The list of thrilling 'Grimsby facts' seems to consist of reasons why they ought to have been relevant, but no examples of when they actually were relevant or attained any 'big team' status whatsoever. Looks like the English equivalent of Stirling Albion then.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Disappointed Gunning is gone but we do have natural cover there so no major concern. Up front is the main priority as in reality we have been short of a recognised striker. Don't know who we can bring in but I have faith in the duff.

Cheers for the memories Gavin Gunning

The Duff isn't the problem though, is he?  To offer a player of Gunning's quality £600.00 a week is risible.  The Raes have absolutely no ambition for our once proud club.

Morton are an insignificance within their own home town, what's your point?

garry-468533.jpg

Morton are not only the leading institution of Inverclyde, but by virtue of their historic and ongoing success hold a credible, national profile (though by no means the greatest) in Scottish football.

What this effectively boils down to is whether a club with a national profile in Scotland is less significant than a club with a regional - at best - profile in England. Just because the latter has access to greater resources does not make it a big club. Big clubs achieve success at a credible national (or international) level. Portsmouth are therefore a much, much bigger club currently sitting in English League Two; dross like Grimsby are not.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The Duff isn't the problem though, is he? To offer a player of Gunning's quality £600.00 a week is risible. The Raes have absolutely no ambition for our once proud club.

That may well be the case but at the same time we have to live within our means. I would love to bring in players we can't afford on our budget but that never works out well for anyone.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

The Duff isn't the problem though, is he? To offer a player of Gunning's quality £600.00 a week is risible. The Raes have absolutely no ambition for our once proud club.

Serious question but what should we have put on the table for gunning ?

850/1250 the lesser i belive is around 200 more than our highest paid player so without pissing the squad off there was no way we could have kept gunning and had room for a striker aswell.

Serious question but what should we have put on the table for gunning ?

850/1250 the lesser i belive is around 200 more than our highest paid player so without pissing the squad off there was no way we could have kept gunning and had room for a striker aswell.

That's still 2600 pcm which, by the time you add on wins/goals bonuses, is still a decent wage for a player at this level

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Sure, but the Scottish version of Stirling Albion would still be bigger than the Sanmarinese version of Hearts.

Both England and Scotland are credible, independent footballing nations; San Marino is not. So the comparison does not hold.

It says a lot about how standards have fallen over recent decades than not only do players and managers (see Stubbs to Rotherham) leave Scottish football for nothing clubs of the English lower leagues for economic reasons - as is their right to do so - but this is now viewed as a natural process of 'moving to a bigger club', even when said 'bigger club' hasn't actually done anything of note, ever, in the English game.

Scottish football is not some junior league equivalent of its English counterpart: it holds a distinct, national footballing heritage. Either we continue to take seriously the achievements and profile gained within our independent, Scottish game or we should just call it a day now and decamp to watch EPL matches down south once a fortnight instead.

And on the issue of the 'fault' of the club: we need a striker far more than we needed Gunning over the rest of the campaign. The serious injury to Quitongo confirmed this. If we pushed the boat out for Gunning (quite probably failing anyway) and had nothing left for a striker, I reckon that we'd struggle to get into the play-offs. We can't endlessly shitfest our way to points through set piece goals.

Nesbitt is signed up: our sole task now has to be finding a good striker and fairly soon. Do that and we should make the play-offs with some room to spare.

If he'd gone to one of our immediate rivals I'd agree with this but this is deeply unfair. Grimsby is a bigger club, playing in a bigger league, with bigger crowds, a bigger TV deal, you name it. To try to compete with them even for a key player is risky.

Best of luck to Sir Gavin, it was a pleasure having him at Cappielow.

Yes and a bigger debt than us by far. I actually saw Grimsby play Yeovil it Huish Park in October and it was pants. Going to Cleethorpes to be managed by Marcus Bignot is not an inspired career choice in my opinion.

That's still 2600 pcm which, by the time you add on wins/goals bonuses, is still a decent wage for a player at this level

Yes a decent wage but thats our top players gunning would have been looking for double that at least and theres no way dougie would have allowed that. And as others have rightly pointed out we have good cover in defence and are badly in need of a striker.

£600ish a week must be about the top end of our wages (excluding Tidser). St Johnstone, for example, won this league with a strict cap of £650pw.

I know a player Duffy tried to sign last season and our offer was 400/450 a week basic, £50 appearance bonus and £50 win bonus. I can't remember if there was a goal bonus as well but I'd imagine that's what some of our players would be on.

I know a player Duffy tried to sign last season and our offer was 400/450 a week basic, £50 appearance bonus and £50 win bonus. I can't remember if there was a goal bonus as well but I'd imagine that's what some of our players would be on.

That's a comfortable wage for training 4 days a week @2 hours ish and playing for 90 mins on a Saturday. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Both England and Scotland are credible, independent footballing nations; San Marino is not. So the comparison does not hold.

It says a lot about how standards have fallen over recent decades than not only do players and managers (see Stubbs to Rotherham) leave Scottish football for nothing clubs of the English lower leagues for economic reasons - as is their right to do so - but this is now viewed as a natural process of 'moving to a bigger club', even when said 'bigger club' hasn't actually done anything of note, ever, in the English game.

Scottish football is not some junior league equivalent of its English counterpart: it holds a distinct, national footballing heritage. Either we continue to take seriously the achievements and profile gained within our independent, Scottish game or we should just call it a day now and decamp to watch EPL matches down south once a fortnight instead.

Oh, I take Morton's achievements very seriously, I'm just also aware that money talks and that Grimsby are something of a sleeping giant - not to Portsmouth's level but certainly a cut above a lot of the League Two rubbish masquerading as football clubs (Crawley and Morecambe and the like.) 

EOho8Pw.png

Archived