Squad For Next Season. - Page 179 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad For Next Season.

Madton

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No news on Gunning. Duffy has had lots of meetings with him but he's assessing his options. Desperate to keep him and we'll be giving it everything we've got to try and keep him.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Hopefully gunning signs on til end of season.

As for McNeil? I wasn't sure about him when he came in but fair ay to him as he's done fairly well for us.

Great move for him and I for one would like to see young McGowan given his chance. He's done well this season and will obviously free up a bit of cash if we go with him as back up to Gats.

Hopefully gunning signs on til end of season.

As for McNeil? I wasn't sure about him when he came in but fair ay to him as he's done fairly well for us.

Great move for him and I for one would like to see young McGowan given his chance. He's done well this season and will obviously free up a bit of cash if we go with him as back up to Gats.

Duffy says a lot of meetings have happened but gunning is assessing his options

If other clubs aren't willing to fork out I think Gav will be back. He's enjoying himself at Morton.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

No news on Gunning. Duffy has had lots of meetings with him but he's assessing his options. Desperate to keep him and we'll be giving it everything we've got to try and keep him.

Did someone phone in and ask? It's goid to hear that we'll be doing everything we can to keep him. Can understand the big man assessing his options. He's too good for our league and deserves to be playing at a higher level. In saying that I'll be gutted if he leaves.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Did someone phone in and ask? It's goid to hear that we'll be doing everything we can to keep him. Can understand the big man assessing his options. He's too good for our league and deserves to be playing at a higher level. In saying that I'll be gutted if he leaves.

The host asked him it as someone had tweeted it asking. Then the host said they'd had a few tweets from Morton fans asking so it's clear we want him to stay.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Duffy says a lot of meetings have happened but gunning is assessing his options

Hope he makes a better job of that than Monti and McCluskey. If the current options were that good he would have gone already which suggests if it's just not a negotiating ploy it is Premier league dross at best.

This is dougie and or all other directors/bean counters been tight as ****. What kind of message does it send that we can't keep our best defender?

Get spending to secure 3rd place and recoup some of the money that way.

Fans can't moan for years about the club spunking money away and then complain when stuff like this happens ( if that actually is the case).

It's not as simple as offering Gunning a new contract. For him to sign a new contract he's going to go from one of the lowest paid players at the club to potentially the highest paid player at the club, so it's not just a case of throwing money at him, especially considering we have absolutely no idea how much money he's asking for.

The fact he was was willing to come here for 6 months on such little money was clearly only agreed so he could get playing football again to showcase himself and back to a level where he is paid the sort of money he has been used to getting, which is money that simply Morton cannot afford.

The only way we'll see him in the 2nd half of the season is if no one is willing to offer him the sort of money he is used to.

32.gif

Fans can't moan for years about the club spunking money away and then complain when stuff like this happens ( if that actually is the case).

It's not as simple as offering Gunning a new contract. For him to sign a new contract he's going to go from one of the lowest paid players at the club to potentially the highest paid player at the club, so it's not just a case of throwing money at him, especially considering we have absolutely no idea how much money he's asking for.

The fact he was was willing to come here for 6 months on such little money was clearly only agreed so he could get playing football again to showcase himself and back to a level where he is paid the sort of money he has been used to getting, which is money that simply Morton cannot afford.

The only way we'll see him in the 2nd half of the season is if no one is willing to offer him the sort of money he is used to.

I think the difference now is that there's a solid foundation that Duffy and future managers can improve on and make us a regular mid table premier league club.

Losing Gunning means more money would need to be spent (potentially more than his extra wages) to replace him to even break even on the ability of the team right now.

definitely valid points. Tidser has been on top dollar and has hardly kicked a ball yet a player of gunnings quality has proven he has the quality and desire to do well.......despite being on poor wages. he came to put himself in the shop window........he has done that and more. a really good player at this level but i have no doubt that he wont be here come saturday and beyond which is a real shame. its clear that the club has no real desire to go up or even push for it. we really needto show some ambition at top dog level, sadly they make good noises but whimper off without making any gesture that is going to move the club forward. Greenock is a poundshop town and unfortunately the football club is the same..........which is sad.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

I think the difference now is that there's a solid foundation that Duffy and future managers can improve on and make us a regular mid table premier league club.

Losing Gunning means more money would need to be spent (potentially more than his extra wages) to replace him to even break even on the ability of the team right now.

As good as Gunning is, his position is actually the position we have the most strength and depth in so he wouldn't even need to be replaced and the level of the team wouldn't lower too much with Gunning gone.

If Gunning goes elsewhere then spending the money we've offered him has to be spent  on a striker as the number one priority that will have the most impact on the quality of the team rising.

32.gif

definitely valid points. Tidser has been on top dollar and has hardly kicked a ball yet a player of gunnings quality has proven he has the quality and desire to do well.......despite being on poor wages. he came to put himself in the shop window........he has done that and more. a really good player at this level but i have no doubt that he wont be here come saturday and beyond which is a real shame. its clear that the club has no real desire to go up or even push for it. we really needto show some ambition at top dog level, sadly they make good noises but whimper off without making any gesture that is going to move the club forward. Greenock is a poundshop town and unfortunately the football club is the same..........which is sad.

There's got to be a cut off point though. If he wants upwards of £2000 a week then we can't really offer that. I think he's good enough to play at a level where that's the going wage so why shouldn't him and his agent look for that if teams at a higher level are interested?

Archived