Squad For Next Season. - Page 178 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad For Next Season.

Madton

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No chance Gunning will be staying unless he's prepared to stay for the same money.

Not a chance the club will break the wage structure unless in emergency, 3rd in the league with Kilday and Lamie sitting on the bench is not an emergency. Sadly, that's the ambition of the club nowadays.

Those who understand what sustainability means will already know all this.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

No chance Gunning will be staying unless he's prepared to stay for the same money.

Not a chance the club will break the wage structure unless in emergency, 3rd in the league with Kilday and Lamie sitting on the bench is not an emergency. Sadly, that's the ambition of the club nowadays.

Those who understand what sustainability means will already know all this.

A sustainable financial model simply means ensuring that nothing is done that will harm the long term future of the club. It certainly does not preclude spending to accumulate or splashing out a bit more here and there to make marque signings if circumstances warrant and a better return is likely in terms of additional gate money, higher league placing or cup run. It certainly does not rule out running up a lowish loss this year if it is judged that a reinforced team can make the play offs at least and get past Falkirk. Not spending on Gunning and a striker now can only underline a lack of ambition and/or a desire to claw back the old debt.

The issue I can see with keeping Gunning would be breaking the wage structure to give him a deal that other players are unhappy with. I would hope the squad is harmonious enough to cope. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

if only signing Gunning could guarantee 50 more full-paying adults for the rest of season. That would be the big fella's wages right there.

I'm getting out on the streets of Inverclyde tonight with my megaphone. Get yirsels to Cappielow to see the amazing Sir Gavin.

The issue I can see with keeping Gunning would be breaking the wage structure to give him a deal that other players are unhappy with. I would hope the squad is harmonious enough to cope.

I thought that too but I've had a nagging doubt about the reputation he had before joining affecting this.

Hopefully we can come to some sort of agreement though because he's been superb and I think guys like O'Ware have learned off him as well.

No way should we ever be breaking our wage structure to the extent that he's on a lot more than everyone else. No matter how good he is or how much of a cult hero he has become.

If he wants much more than being at the top end of our individiual player wage budget and can find it elsewhere then good luck to him.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

No way should we ever be breaking our wage structure to the extent that he's on a lot more than everyone else. No matter how good he is or how much of a cult hero he has become.

If he wants much more than being at the top end of our individiual player wage budget and can find it elsewhere then good luck to him.

I actually think he's good enough to go to a team that can offer more than we can afford so I wonder if there's an element holding out for a better offer as well.

It's OK him saying he'd discuss staying but he's hardly going to say publicly we're a last resort.

This is a fair point. It was always going to be a long shot to keep him regardless due to his experience and reputation. We don't know how much he's asking for, it could be an absolute bomb. But I'd like to think that we'd recognize that, even if it's more than anyone else at the club, he has the ability and experience to justify it. Within reason. We wouldn't be the first club to make a marquee signing nor the last.

EOho8Pw.png

I actually think he's good enough to go to a team that can offer more than we can afford so I wonder if there's an element holding out for a better offer as well.

It's OK him saying he'd discuss staying but he's hardly going to say publicly we're a last resort.

He's easily good enough, the question is over value and also injury risk (which is a factor going off his previous career.)

EOho8Pw.png

A sustainable financial model simply means ensuring that nothing is done that will harm the long term future of the club. It certainly does not preclude spending to accumulate or splashing out a bit more here and there to make marque signings if circumstances warrant and a better return is likely in terms of additional gate money, higher league placing or cup run. It certainly does not rule out running up a lowish loss this year if it is judged that a reinforced team can make the play offs at least and get past Falkirk. Not spending on Gunning and a striker now can only underline a lack of ambition and/or a desire to claw back the old debt.

Too Ed, didn't read.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

He's easily good enough, the question is over value and also injury risk (which is a factor going off his previous career.)

I was talking to someone about that actually and, although he's been out injured at us, his recovery time has been pretty quick so that might be something that works in his favour.

Archived