2023/24 End of Season Awards - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2023/24 End of Season Awards

Player of the Year - I'd have Iain Wilson in 1st place, Ryan Mullen in 2nd place and probably Oakley in 3rd place. Wilson's improved our midfield massively, Mullen has established himself as a good Championship goalkeeper with tremendous distribution, and Oakley has been irreplaceable. 8 goals in 22 league appearances whilst playing as a target man is a very good return as well. 

Goal of the Season - George Oakley's winner at Tannadice. An absolute screamer. 

Best Signing - Lewis Strapp. If we didn't sign Strapp, I think we'd currently be in 9th place instead of Inverness. He is better at every facet of the game than Waters IMO. For all we haven't scored a huge amount of goals from his long throws, the panic they cause in opposition defences is always amusing. 

Worst Signing - Tyler French. The Dundee fans had us thinking we'd signed the next Cafu, but to say he hasn't really found his feet at Championship level is generous. 

Most Significant Goal - George Oakley's winner at Arbroath. A great turn and finish that not only broke that horrible winless run against Arbroath but also sparked our unbeaten run to life. A real turning point in the season. 

Best Game - Dundee United 2-3 Morton. Peak 'Big Bad Physical Morton'. 

Worst Game - Morton 1-4 Partick, Morton 0-3 Arbroath or Airdrie 3-1 Morton.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Yeah, hard to argue with any of that. If anything I'd probably have Mullen ahead of Wilson, his stats in the first half of the season were ridiculous, something not far off an 80% clean sheet rate before his injury. We'd likely be stinking out the gaff with Arbroath without him.

Also pretty much agree with all of that. George's third goal at Tannadice was a thing of beauty - especially the rapturous run over to the bench and the subsequent pitch-side celebration. I must have watched that clip a hundred times and it still makes me smile every time I watch it. A bonus arising from that game was Jim Goodwin's disingenuous, salty-teared whinge-fest in his post-match interview. Coiffured wanker.

Steven Boyd slinking away in February maybe could maybe save him from being worst signing, but he would be good competition for French. 

Wilson, Mullen, Oakley, Strapp. Not totally sure of the order but those 4 coming into the team transformed us from being relegation favourites, and injuries among them stopped us from being final playoff spot favourites. 

Oakley has had a lot of great moments and adds a lot to the team, but for me the Poty has to be Mullen.  Solid keeper, excellent distribution whether kicking or throwing the ball.  Doesn't seem to make many errors.  You could also make a case for Wilson or Strapp.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Player of the Year - 1st. Ryan Mullen, 2nd. George Oakley, 3rd Iain Wilson.

A few contenders but Mullen has been our best player imo and most influential.

Goal of the Season - Big George's winner at Tannadice.

Best Signing - Wilson or Strapp. 

Worst Signing - Jack Harkness

Most Significant Goal - Big George's goal against Motherwell.

Best Game - Dundee United 2-3 Morton or 5-0 win at East end.

Worst Game - 2-1 loss v Dunfermline on the Friday night. Poisonous atmosphere 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Wilson POTY ahead of Mullen & Strapp who are a clear top three for me with Oakley next in line (if you don't count low number of appearances against Strapp), Oakley at Tannadice goal of the season narrowly ahead of Muirhead's second v Ayr.

I suppose you can split worst signing into two categories, between who's been our worst player (the Ali Crawford award) and objectively bad recruitment (the Ally Roy award). French has been our worst player in reality but on paper the signing did make sense and you can question how much blame Imrie gets for it not working out, although he can certainly be blamed for trying him at holding midfield and left back rather than dropping him.

Boyd however was a signing that made no sense on paper and made even less when you saw him play. There was nothing in his career to suggest he could be good enough for the Championship, and so it proved.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Probably Wilson as POTY but Mullen a close second followed by Oakley. 

Bit harsh to say Harkness at the worst signing as he didn't even play I would go for French as that just hasn't worked out at all. 

Also to the above post Wilson has signed until summer 2025

Wilson POTY, difference between him in the team and out of it is striking. Mullen, Oakley, Strapp, Muirhead making up the rest.

If we have a young player of the year (23 and under) it's Mullen (22 years old) by a mile. McGrattan and Garrity are the only other real contenders and neither comes close.

Goal of the season the obvious Goatley strike.

Best signing, Wilson but only because he's been here all season. Strapp otherwise. I could see the case for both.

Boyd worst signing by a country mile. French has been a disappointment and should not be retained (if he's even available) but he's not even the player most directly responsible for sloppy goals conceded. Boyd on the other hand didn't fit in from day one and was a waste of a wage completely.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

The fact that Boyd was handed a 2 year deal so we could have been stuck with him for another year had he not chucked it easily pushes him into the worst spot.

Totally forgot about that. Bullet dodged. I assume he got some kind of payoff but nothing close to the entirety of his contract.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Genuine whoosh question. Who's Harkness? 

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

POTY: Mullen. Its nice to know we've a relatively safe pair of hands in the goal, although Oakley and Wilson are a close second. 

Mentallest decision of the year:  Sending Alex King on loan again. 

• Upvote 1

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

POTY: Mullen for me. I don't think I was the only one to be unsure on his arrival but I feel confident with him in the net. He's got much better as the season has went on too. Wilson and Oakley for 2nd and 3rd. Strapp probably hasn't featured enough.

GOTS: Oakley's 3rd at Tannadice - the scenes were unreal.

Best signing: Strapp, I reckon we might never of made it out of the bottom two without him.

Worst signing: French/Boyd, both rather poor players at this level. Seemed for Boyd that he was struggling with battles off the pitch mind you. French can't even handle battles on the pitch. Harkness never got a chance so would be unfair to include him, he may have been a top player, we'll never know.

Season high: Binning Motherwell out the cup.

Season low: too many in recent weeks to count, I think Fridays capitulation against Dundee was pretty hard to take.

45 minutes ago, shaddypeekey said:

POTY: Mullen. Its nice to know we've a relatively safe pair of hands in the goal, although Oakley and Wilson are a close second. 

At least that ends the contest for Mentallest Post of the Year. Saves everyone a lot of hassle. 

Despite being a disappointment, French is safely out of the running for worst signing having at least contributed consistently to our winning run. Steven Boyd has that honour wrapped up and Jamie McDonald would be easily ahead of French too, he’s suffered from a combination of bad form, lack of sustained fitness and possibly just an overall lack of remaining ability for this level. Giving Harkness a free pass on the assumption we haven’t paid his wages since the injury, which is a total guess. 

Honourable mentions for goal of the season are Garrity’s volley against Airdrie, Muirhead’s second against Ayr and Muirhead’s tap in against QP at cappielow. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shaddypeekey said:

I suppose you could argue that King could have replaced Crawford in the '10' role after his form dipped, but I still think King will have benefited more from spending the season playing regularly for Clyde than he would have been starting 5 games and making 10 sub appearances for us this season. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!