Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton

Admin

Solid point and a clean sheet.  I will take that all day.  A bit scrappy at times and not a lot of quality but I enjoyed it and it was an end to end entertaining game.  “Two teams going at it” as Dougie would say.

We had the better of them in terms of possession and chances but I would still say a draw was a fair result in the end.  I really hope Wilson is ok and Oakley is back soon as back soon as they are both big players for us who we really missed today. I was worried when I saw Mullen was out but Macdonald looked comfortable apart from 1 miskicked clearance.  

Power was motm for me - the guys a class act and has really proven me wrong as I thought he looked finished earlier on this season.

• Upvote 1

Someone on Facebook suggesting Oakley may be out for a few weeks - unsure how reliable that is but if true it’s an absolute nightmare for us given how pivotal he is to the way we play. I don’t fault Jai’s effort tonight but it’s just not the same. If there is a good option available, it may be worth a look into securing a loan player albeit we only have 2 days left to do so. 

What a player Power is @ this level. Seems to be loving life in blue and white hoops. Reminds me of several experienced centre mids of the McGraw era who he used to utilise a player of that ilke for a few seasons. 

Never looked troubled @ all defensively for 95% of the 90 mins...and so the run continues!!!

Edited by Nornirontons
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

Solid point and a clean sheet.  I will take that all day.  A bit scrappy at times and not a lot of quality but I enjoyed it and it was an end to end entertaining game.  “Two teams going at it” as Dougie would say.

We had the better of them in terms of possession and chances but I would still say a draw was a fair result in the end.  I really hope Wilson is ok and Oakley is back soon as back soon as they are both big players for us who we really missed today. I was worried when I saw Mullen was out but Macdonald looked comfortable apart from 1 miskicked clearance.  

Power was motm for me - the guys a class act and has really proven me wrong as I thought he looked finished earlier on this season.

I've only been to two games this season due to being overseas, but one of them was at Ibrox and I thought Power showed great positioning there. He clearly couldn't be everywhere he wanted to be but mentally he's invaluable. 

When you look at Dougie's signings he's got an amazing hit rate. Not all of them work out but by the percentages he clearly can spot what he's looking for. 

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

That was as boring a 0-0 game as you could ever wish to see. While Morton arguably shaded it neither team did enough to justify a win. The one positive was we continue our unbeaten run, the downside is a concerning injury list. It looked like MacDonald, Wilson and Quitongo were all not match fit. Thankfully MacDonald had little to do but his mobility was clearly limited, Wilson hobbled off with what looked like a calf injury which could keep him out for some time and Quitongo is miles off the player when he is fully firm. The highlight of the evening was just before kick-off when the Raith bench approached Imrie to shake hands, he was having none of it and pleasantries were exchanged before the officials stepped in. Murray was fuming and the salty tears were a joy to behold.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Scott said:

Someone on Facebook suggesting Oakley may be out for a few weeks - unsure how reliable that is but if true it’s an absolute nightmare for us given how pivotal he is to the way we play. I don’t fault Jai’s effort tonight but it’s just not the same. If there is a good option available, it may be worth a look into securing a loan player albeit we only have 2 days left to do so. 

If he is going to be out for a significant length of time then it would definitely be worth trying to find a replacement on loan til the end of the season as we aren’t the same team without him and are once again starting to look a bit threadbare.  I would hope that with Boyd leaving we have freed up a wee bit of extra money that could go towards a wage contribution.  

Off the top of my head (and just to pluck a probably unrealistic name out of thin air)I would love to see Stevie May come in on loan - he is as close as you could get to a like-for-like replacement for Oakley in terms of his style of play.  He seems to have been out of the picture at St Johnstone since Levein came in - I’m just not sure if that’s down to injury or him being out of favour.  If it’s the latter then a loan deal til the end of the season could suit both player & club.

Edited by Greacen2000

With no Oakley or Mullen, losing Wilson early while Muirhead was clearly miles off being fit and Quitongo isn't 100% either, that's a very good point. Had the chances to win it but don't think either team could claim to be hard done by with a draw.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

35 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

With no Oakley or Mullen, losing Wilson early while Muirhead was clearly miles off being fit and Quitongo isn't 100% either, that's a very good point. Had the chances to win it but don't think either team could claim to be hard done by with a draw.

Not sure Muirhead was unfit possibly still affected by the bug that meant he missed out on Saturday 

The manager added: "I've got to give Jamie a lot of credit. Ryan's come in, had a scan and declared that he's not fit so we were actually scrambling for an emergency loan, which was denied.

"Jamie's not even trained since November, he's had a few issues that have been awkward to come back from."

Think we will struggle to get a decent striker in at this stage. QP and Dunfermline were looking for weeks and eventually QP settled for Cillian Sherdian whilst the Pars got Chris Kane, neither would excite me.

Raith did get Rudden but that's because they are shagging Dundee to keep United down.

Inverness did manage to get Alex Samuel but that was purely down to Geography.

Need to hope the big man is out for days rather than weeks.

I'm just praying it's not broken ribs.  I hope someone ends Taylor-Sinclairs career next time we meet and I mean that sincerely because when I see a player deliberately go out to try and injure a fellow pro he completely deserves what's coming to him.

Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Squad rotation is going to be key the next month or so a lot of players have played a hell of a lot of minutes we dont want them burning out and being out for weeks due to it. 

You obviously don't want to change a team that is doing so well but it's going to be needed to avoid injuries. If Oakley is out for a few weeks you would think Muirhead would be up top and Garrity on the left, he is the natural option. It's very late in the day to get someone in but you can see how different a team we are without Oakley and that's the one position we are light in. 

If we are pulling names out the sky, I’ll go for Innes Cameron at Killie, not been near their team recently and they’ve got a lot of competition at top end of the pitch. Big physical player if I remember rightly from his time at QOTS.

21 minutes ago, Tubes said:

If we are pulling names out the sky, I’ll go for Innes Cameron at Killie, not been near their team recently and they’ve got a lot of competition at top end of the pitch. Big physical player if I remember rightly from his time at QOTS.

Aye, he's a name I thought might fit the bill if we were looking for cover.

Got a bad injury at the end of November that had him out for 8 weeks. He's back now (scored a double for their reserves the other day) and Killie have since added a few attackers (Van Veen can't even get a regular start).