The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24

Toby

It's that time of year when Morton's interest in the greatest competition in sport begins, with the draw for the third round of the tournament taking place at 7.30pm on the Scottish cup's YouTube channel.

We join the other nine Championship clubs and the ten League One clubs as third round entrants, with the following clubs from below still involved:

SPFL League Two

Bonnyrigg Rose, Dumbarton, Forfar Athletic, Peterhead, Stranraer, The Spartans

Highland League

Brora Rangers, Buckie Thistle, Formartine United

Lowland League

Albion Rovers, Broomhill, Cowdenbeath, Tranent

East of Scotland Premier Division

Broxburn Athletic, Dunbar United, Jeanfield Swifts

West of Scotland Premier Division

Cumnock Juniors, Pollok

Incomplete ties

Luncarty (EOS Prem) v Bo'ness United (LL) Postponed from yesterday, to be played on 4/11/23

Musselburgh Athletic (EOS Prem) v Clyde (L2) BBC Scotland Channel, to be played tomorrow.

I would doubt I'm in the minority when I say an away trip to an unfamiliar venue would be nice. Nobody in the Championship or League One for me. I know some won't have been to Edinburgh City, but it's really shite. Of the SPFL clubs, only Bonnyrigg away is enticing IMHO. I've visited before but would quite like to see Morton there.

Any of the Highland League clubs would be acceptable, although personally I'd prefer Formartine, having visited the other two. Pity the dream of Wick Academy will have to wait another year.

Only Tranent appeals in the Lowland, with two ex-league clubs and a circus act playing out of Dumbarton still involved. Foresters Park is a nice, well kept wee ground which is well worth a visit. Bo’ness, who should get past Luncarty could be quite tasty though- a strange wee town with a support that might not be the most welcoming, and a ground that could provide a decent atmosphere for a game against a club like ourselves.

Anything in the East of Scotland League would be fine, Broxburn's quite an open ground which would have no capacity issues, and I really fancy visiting Musselburgh, should they take care of Clyde. No idea of what Jeanfield (from Perth), Luncarty or Dunbar are like to visit.

Cumnock would be a good awayday- similar standard to Beith, but a much better ground, although an artificial pitch. Pollok would have capacity issues for a visit from Morton.

Anyone else got any preferences? No doubt having looked at these mouth watering possibilities we'll end up with Raith or Dumbarton away.

Mussleburgh Athletic away.

I see that both Berwick Rangers and Darvel have recently put out statements to the effect that they are cutting their cloth and playing staff. Both are pointing at being knocked out of the Scottish Cup earlier than they had planned (essentially not getting to the "plum tie" round). Incredible that teams should be putting their eggs in that basket at the start of a season.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I don't know what Darvel expected in the long term. Realistically their hardcore fanbase is 100 people. Even if you grow that to 200 through community work and success you're going to hit a ceiling, just as Gretna did. 

EOho8Pw.png

45 minutes ago, Toby said:

Bo'ness or Luncarty at home. Straight forward, pity it's at Cappielow though.

Had to Google to find out where Luncarty is. Certain to be screened live I assume.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Hopefully a straightforward win amd into the next round. We are due a decent cup run after drawing the ugly sisters in the last 2.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

24 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Had to Google to find out where Luncarty is. Certain to be screened live I assume.

Would be shocked if anything other than the Fife Derby is the TV pick, although I suppose there's always the nauseating Glasgow love-in as an option. If they do want a game involving a non-league team, it's more likely to be something with a bigger chance of a shock like Dunbar v Alloa or a team who've already got a bit of a narrative around them from earlier rounds like Jeanfield.

So near yet so far from a brilliant away draw, but a non-league team at home is still greatly preferable to another Championship team or Queen of the South for the fifth season running.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

44 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I saw both Bo’ness and Luncarty last season. Obviously things will have moved on but Luncarty were a horrible mob.

It was last Christmas I saw Bo’ness beat Cowdenbeath 3-1 which was great because, Cowdenbeath. It was courtesy of a hat trick from a boy that’s since moved onto Tranent though, but they’re currently sitting 5th in the Lowland League and I expect them to get through the tie with a bit to spare.

Later on in the season I saw Luncarty lose 4-3 at Newtongrange Star and they made Airdrie c.1991 look like a Sunday School picnic. How the Raith fans would put up with playing a team like that after their whining about us earlier in the season would be worth seeing.

As well as kicking Newtongrange about the Park, their intimidation of the referee (who only had officials from each club as his assistants was quite a throwback. Not often I take something so memorable from a game that I’m not too concerned about the result of, but whenever I see Luncarty’s name mentioned, my immediate thought is “gang.

Apparently if we’d got Luncarty away it would have been moved to St. Johnstone (citation needed) which would have been proper shite, so maybe a good thing it’s at home, although Newton Park for Bo’ness would have been great. Very much a hills-have-eyes sort of a town.

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Full time, Luncarty 0-1 Bo’ness United.

Went to the game to get another ground ticked off, and because we had a vested interest.

I wasn’t impressed with either, although Bo’ness’s extra quality showed in the end. Bo’ness started well and could have been about 3 up after half an hour or so but gradually Luncarty grew into the game and gave as good as they got for most of the latter period of the first half and long spells of the second half, before Bo’ness finally got their goal with about 15 minutes to go.

A minute later, Luncarty got a player sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity after being caught on the half way line and the game was gone.

In spite of our troubles, we should be taking care of them with minimum fuss.

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7070.jpeg

Agree. Thought both teams were poor, with Bo'ness the slightly better team, deserved their victory.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Nonsense. We should be expecting to win this tie with something to spare. At home against a team from the lower league. 

Aye because we have so much quality to spare as shown by our league position.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are