Championship 23/24 - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 23/24

Surely no way back now for Arbroath didn't realise they play Inverness on Saturday if they lose that's pretty much it. 

Hopefully by the time we play them on the 20th they are down. Saturday another must win. 

36 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Surely no way back now for Arbroath didn't realise they play Inverness on Saturday if they lose that's pretty much it. 

Hopefully by the time we play them on the 20th they are down. Saturday another must win. 

Fuck that. My pals from the Scotland games support Arbroath, I want us to have the honour of burying them.

If we're being greedy, results for the remainder of the season could align to allow us the opportunity to relegate Arbroath, end Raith's title challenge and put Inverness in the relegation playoffs, while securing the top four ourselves. Could be an exceptionally fun or utterly disastrous April.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

13 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Playing an already relegated team can often go tits up. They already know their fate and any nerves have gone and they can play with freedom. 

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

If we're being greedy, results for the remainder of the season could align to allow us the opportunity to relegate Arbroath, end Raith's title challenge and put Inverness in the relegation playoffs, while securing the top four ourselves. Could be an exceptionally fun or utterly disastrous April.

I'm hoping Raith are out of the promotion race by the time we play them( remember how shite we were once we knew the league challenge was over in 2013)  Arbroath are relegated, their players have chucked it and are thinking about their summer holidays and Inverness are resigned to 9th on the last day so play kids to keep their first team fresh for their 1st playoff game.

Easy 9 points right there for the last 3 games!

We need to win on Saturday.  No messing about.  A draw certainly still keeps us in touch 2 points adrift but losing means 5 points behind them with 5 to play and that is a mountain to climb.  I hope we set up with an attacking formation.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Playing an already relegated team can often go tits up. They already know their fate and any nerves have gone and they can play with freedom. 

Indeed, in the last home game of the now infamous League 1 season when we completely imploded and chucked away a massive (15 point?) lead, we played Stenhousemuir when we were still in with a shout of at least 2nd placed promotion, and they humped us (5-2?), despite being already relegated weeks earlier. I had booked the trip over for the game months earlier when to all intents and purposes it was going to be presentation of the League trophy. D'oh!

I don't have a lot of luck with making trips over for matches, the last one was the ICT game that was postponed in October despite it being a beautiful autumn day that was perfect for football.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

3 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

But much, much more often, they do no such thing and get sworded by the credible outfit that actually has something to play for.

They're not going to turn into the Harlem Globetrotters once their return to the seaside leagues is confirmed.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Indeed, in the last home game of the now infamous League 1 season when we completely imploded and chucked away a massive (15 point?) lead, we played Stenhousemuir when we were still in with a shout of at least 2nd placed promotion, and they humped us (5-2?), despite being already relegated weeks earlier. I had booked the trip over for the game months earlier when to all intents and purposes it was going to be presentation of the League trophy. D'oh!

I don't have a lot of luck with making trips over for matches, the last one was the ICT game that was postponed in October despite it being a beautiful autumn day that was perfect for football.

A result which had nothing to do with Stenhousemuir at all and everything to do with the Beirut port disaster style event unfolding at Cappielow. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

A result which had nothing to do with Stenhousemuir at all and everything to do with the Beirut port disaster style event unfolding at Cappielow. 

Also true, but even taking into account the scale of the collapse in the previous few months, a 5-2 (?) humping at home to a team that had been relegated weeks earlier took it to a whole new level.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Madton said:

I'm hoping Raith are out of the promotion race by the time we play them( remember how shite we were once we knew the league challenge was over in 2013)  Arbroath are relegated, their players have chucked it and are thinking about their summer holidays and Inverness are resigned to 9th on the last day so play kids to keep their first team fresh for their 1st playoff game.

Easy 9 points right there for the last 3 games!

Swap QP for Inverness please.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

6 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

If Inverness go down they're actually fucked though. Queens Park playing in the diddy leagues is already their level.

• Upvote 1

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Quite enjoy playing QP, they can't get near us, 5 wins and 3 draws in last 8 games with Cal Ferrie at the wheel, the gift that keeps on giving. They can stay for me.

Inverness to go down and never been seen at this level again!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I hope Inverness sink without trace tbh.

Agreed. Inverness are a club whose success has been built on sand and who, it shouldn’t be forgotten were given a lot of help in their formative years and are the bastard spawn of two perfectly good Highland League clubs that were killed off for a vanity project.

Throw in the eye-watering losses and the trail of destruction being left by their concert company and there’s no sympathy here.

For all the success they had, there’s no real honour to it, and I can only hope that the years of lavish spending and doing things on tick is finally coming home to roost. This wasn’t a sugar daddy throwing his own money at a club, it was a club accumulating debt it had no intention of repaying.

My ideal scenario this season would have been Inverness and Queen’s Park to go down, and with Falkirk back next year, I’ll obviously be wanting them down immediately, but Queen’s Park’s time can wait for now. The Fridge Mhagnate will get bored soon enough, let’s see Inverness down, finding their level and battling to stave off liquidation on the back of a 463 crowd for a game against Rothes.

• Like 1

I'll be able to find joy in either of them going down, but while Inverness are due being flushed and it would likely bring with it the transition to part-time football that their crowds (the sub-1000 real ones rather than the shite they make up) since relegation necessitate, there's a good chance of them financially imploding over the next 12 months if they stay up anyway. Queen's Park however will continue to be a Gretna tribute act for as long as Haughey's around and we're likely years away from him getting bored of it. Relegation could be the only thing to properly throw things off course for them, for all that they'd likely just continue launching money at it to get straight back up.

Having them on toast on the pitch is great obviously, but if we're challenging for the promotion playoffs again next season I'd be more worried about an endlessly bankrolled Queen's Park as a threat than an Inverness side who'll surely be cutting the budget even if they do survive.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously both were already realistically over a week ago, but that's the playoffs now mathematically out of reach for us and Arbroath officially relegated.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I’m going to stick my neck out & forecast that QP will finish in 9th place. QP currently would have to get 6 points from 3 games to get above us as we have a much better GD. That assumes we lose all our remaining games but not by large margins. A win next week puts us out of reach unless they win all their 3 games, which.is very unlikely. I reckon we should be ok. And 5th place is very doable.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."