Match Preview/Thread - Celtic vs Morton (21st January) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Celtic vs Morton (21st January)

Admin

Grimshaw put in such a shift agreed he was our best player. When you don't have the ball for the majority of the game it's always going to be an uphill battle. 

Penalty decision was a complete joke, no one even claims for it and Efe has his hands by his side after that and then quick second goal game was gone after that. Its difficult to be harsh on the players as it was always a big ask. Move onto Arbroath but we need to get back to winning ways we don't want this season to fade after such a good start. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Efe has his Efe moment for the second anyway if it's still 0-0, Gillespie's pathetic for fourth and the third is the kind of goal that happens when you sit that deep and invite a considerably better team to have the ball in space that close to your box, but what is the fucking point in football if that's a penalty?

Even aside from the issues with VAR generally that make watching football an appaling experience, specific to this round of the cup that wouldn't have been given in 13 of the 16 ties. An absolute farce that VAR was allowed to be used.

You can't read anything into today's performances in terms of the team for next week, Celtic isn't the barometer we should be judging players by, but with Gillespie suspended hopefully King is going to get his chance in midfield.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Celtic isn't the barometer we should be judging players by, but with Gillespie suspended hopefully King is going to get his chance in midfield.

Gillespie is the only holding midfielder in the squad. Many people - including myself - were highly sceptical about that signing in the summer, and yet Imrie has comprehensively proved us wrong. There's no benefit from being deprived of that option - unless you think that you know better than Sir Douglas.

King has had plenty of chances and game time for a player at his level of ability and development. He's doing just fine - and if he was deserving a start every week on merit, then Sir Douglas would give him one.

This white-knighting of *random fringe player to start next week* rather than simply accepting that a first team that plays 6/7 games away from home will not rack up wins at this level is getting pretty tiresome. 

The Arbroath game next Saturday is litmus test for any changes that are needed. This endless string of away games are nothing of the sort. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I know its all been said, but I genuinely cannot believe the referee today - or rather, I can absolutely believe it because it was guaranteed. The boys totally dropped their heads for 20mins but in the second half they showed resilience and determination. I'd start the same team on Saturday vs Arbroath (because McGratten will not replace Blues for Dougie) and fsncu them to het a result.

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Gillespie is the only holding midfielder in the squad. Many people - including myself - were highly sceptical about that signing in the summer, and yet Imrie has comprehensively proved us wrong. There's no benefit from being deprived of that option - unless you think that you know better than Sir Douglas.

King has had plenty of chances and game time for a player at his level of ability and development. He's doing just fine - and if he was deserving a start every week on merit, then Sir Douglas would give him one.

This white-knighting of *random fringe player to start next week* rather than simply accepting that a first team that plays 6/7 games away from home will not rack up wins at this level is getting pretty tiresome. 

The Arbroath game next Saturday is litmus test for any changes that are needed. This endless string of away games are nothing of the sort. 

This is a colossal overreaction to me saying I want King to get a shot next week when Gillespie is suspended, rather than anyone else taking Gillespie's place. No one is saying we should drop Gillespie when he's available.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think it is pretty academic anyway given Strapp looks like he will be out for a spell and Imrie out O'connor on at left back instead of Pignatiello. 

Unless any signings that dramatically improve any positions I would imagine we go with the side that started the second half with Grimshaw in place of Gillespie in the centre of midfield, King at left back and O'connor on the right.

Front 3 of Miller Muirhead and Quitongo is fine. 

Could make an argument for McGrattan instead of Miller but I think Miller has been signed as a starting player. 

Interesting to see if we bring in 2 players where they would be. For me it is clearly central midfield. Blues is an ever present as there is noone else that does that role as well as him in the squad. Likewise Gillespie. 

1 hour ago, El gofer said:

I think it is pretty academic anyway given Strapp looks like he will be out for a spell and Imrie out O'connor on at left back instead of Pignatiello. 

Unless any signings that dramatically improve any positions I would imagine we go with the side that started the second half with Grimshaw in place of Gillespie in the centre of midfield, King at left back and O'connor on the right.

Front 3 of Miller Muirhead and Quitongo is fine. 

Could make an argument for McGrattan instead of Miller but I think Miller has been signed as a starting player. 

Interesting to see if we bring in 2 players where they would be. For me it is clearly central midfield. Blues is an ever present as there is noone else that does that role as well as him in the squad. Likewise Gillespie. 

Did O'connor not go on at rightback?

I really hope we bring in a central midfielder and another striker. Blues and Gillespie have been good this season but starting competition would be good. Muirhead has been great up until the last 3 games where I think he's been poor. We need someone snapping at his heels to keep pushing him.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

20 hours ago, GiGi said:

Fucking rigged. We'd little enough chance without 2 grade one referees deciding they were going to empty a game plan that seemed to be working. 

The other goals were poor but you feel we wouldn't have conceded them as cheaply with the game still level. As if the players knew at that point the game was a bogey thanks to yet more shitey officiating.

Aye, that’s largely how I feel too. Scunnered and deflated more than anything.

It was always likely that a heavy defeat might be on the cards, and that’s fine if you’re able to go and do your best and it ends up like that, but that’s not what happened. We were well in the game, we could maybe even have got the first goal and if we had it wouldn’t have been at all against the balance of play…and then that nonsense. Chances are Celtic would simply have steamrolled us had we scored, or they’d have got through eventually but as soon as that penalty was invented then the game was over and what followed was inevitable.

There’s probably not really too much to read into it, other than take the positives and use the injustice as extra motivation to dole out our own hammering to Arbroath next week. King and McGrattan reinforced their claims to starting spots (McGrattan’s performance on the right was particularly encouraging, it suggests we’ve another option there which maybe wasn’t clear before), and that Strapp and Grimshaw both looked more than comfortable in that setting.  

Also, a special mention for Jack Baird who has been absolutely superb all season and was again yesterday. 

PS: Before the draw was made, I’d have fancied our chances against anyone at Cappielow and nobody would have wanted to go there, including Celtic. I wonder many penalties the officials would have had to invent if we had been at home 🤯

AWMSC

Disappointing if unsurprising result.  We gave a good account of ourselves in the first 15-20 mins and for most of the second half.  Despite the result, I don’t think we embarrassed ourselves at all and on my way out I overheard several conversations between Celtic fans where they were all saying that we played well and that 2 or 3 would have been a fairer reflection of the play.

Penalty decision was an absolute joke, and then I think we were still reeling a bit from that when ambrose made the mistake which led to their 2nd.  After that the game was over and a scudding was all but inevitable.  

Grimshaw & Strapp were both superb, as were King & Mcgrattan when they came on.  Schwake made some terrific saves, and I also thought that Miller showed signs that he could end up being a really good signing too.

I would have subbed Muirhead earlier than we did.  I don’t think that being isolated up front like that and feeding off scraps is really his game.  I can understand that it wasn’t Imries intent to play like that, but once we went into damage limitation mode Muirhead was pretty much a passenger.  When Roy came in he looked a lot more willing to chase lost causes & try to close guys down etc.

I’m certainly not just accepting a 5-0 defeat or saying I’m happy with it, but overall there are plenty of positives to take from yesterdays game.

The atmosphere in our end was amazing and we showed up the so-called best fans in the world from start to finish.  I would love to see us getting these sorts of home crowds at Cappielow and it shows the potential is there.

Hopefully we can start to get our season back on track now starting with a win at Cappielow next week.  I’m excited to see who the potential new signings are. 

Aye @Mr.Blue. I meant O'connor at right back. He did OK.

If Strapp is out and from seeing him after the game it looks likely, the other option is Miller at left back. 

Whilst King has done well at left back when coming off the bench, he struggled a wee bit there before, remembering the Partick 5-1 game and also the week before at home to Arbroath. Miller has played there in his career already, so another option. 

On the topic of the fans yesterday. I get it's usually a one off playing one of the ugly two and you're going to get the odd wanker who supports the other side of the coin going too. However, again, there's never been a stronger connection between the club, management, players and fans as there has been right now (in my lifetime anyway).

I appreciate the club do their best to push out tweets etc to get fans in the gate but Saturday is a massive game, 3 points are needed to get this winless record scrubbed. I'd love to see the club really try rally the support this week. Dougie and the lads really do deserve it. 

Enjoyed the start on what looked a very poor surface. We began well and threatened a couple of times but the dreadful VAR decision killed the game. Ended up having our poorest result at Parkhead since 1984, and that was under Willie McLean. The guys in front of me left at half time.

Really need to bounce back with a win next week.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

17 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

Attendance given as 40,011 in the scotsman. Also saying its the highest attendance for a Scottish cup tie there not involving rangers this millennium. 

I was surprised by the home crowd - the place was empty on our last two visits.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

1 hour ago, gmfc23 said:

Attendance given as 40,011 in the scotsman. Also saying its the highest attendance for a Scottish cup tie there not involving rangers this millennium. 

That's great to hear. Although we're all disappointed with the result - I for one saw our potential payday as being far more important in the overall scheme of things. I'm hopeful that whatever the amount is, will be headed in the direction it's needed.

3 hours ago, gmfc23 said:

Yeah, was pleased to see a strong attendance. 18000 attendance given at the previous game we were there, 15000 the time before so a significant uplift and decent earner for us.

We knew really that the financial boost was the most likely positive from the game, good to see that it will be more substantial than it could have been.

So we get:

£24k for TV.

£19k for 4th round exit.

37.5% of gate receipts minus VAR costs so could easily be £200k.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I did mean our share could be £200k  not VAR costing that...

Aye, I just meant having to pay for it in general. Parkhead already has all the kit in place for it, it’s hardly like we asked for it to be there (we quite literally didn’t, given our vote against it) and then the nonsense that unfolded yesterday and then still having to be accountable for a share of the costs. It’s just a load of shite all round.

AWMSC

Archived